An IP address is a unique identifier assigned to devices connected to the internet. Knowing your IP address is essential for various reasons, including troubleshooting, security, and privacy. Knowing your IP address will assist you in understanding the way that the internet works and the performance of your network. Here we will examine the meaning of an IP address, the advantages of knowing what your IP is, and how to find your IP address.
What Is An IP Address?
An IP address ( Internet Protocol Address) is a unique identifier assigned to devices participating in a computer network utilizing the Internet Protocol. The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority manages IP addresses (IANA). They are allocated to Regional Internet Registries (RIRs), which in turn allocate IP address locations to local Internet registries, enterprises, or end-users. IPv6 is the latest generation of the IP protocol, providing vastly more addresses than the preceding version, IPv4.
IP addresses can be either internal or external. Devices use internal IP addresses on a local network, such as a home or office network. These IP addresses are usually assigned automatically by a router and are not visible to the public.
External IP addresses are used by devices that connect to the internet through an internet service provider. These IP addresses are visible to the public and are used to identify devices online. External IP addresses can be static or dynamic. Static IP addresses are permanent, while dynamic IP addresses are temporary and may change.
How To Find Your IP Address?
Here are the several ways To Find Your IP Address:
Find On A Search Engine
You can determine the IP address by using an internet search engine. The information you receive is only the address since the search engine doesn’t offer details about your geographical location or the ISP you use. This is how you can make use of a search engine to locate the IP address for the router external to your internet connection at home:
- Visit any search engine on your computer.
- Enter a query that asks, “What is my IP address.”
- The results displayed will show your external IP address.
Find On A Cell Phone
You can also determine the IP address of your cell phone, usually represented with the “i” in the middle of the circle. On the majority of mobile phones, you can determine the IP address of your phone in these ways:
- Navigate to the settings.
- In the section settings, go to Wi-Fi.
- Click on the info icon under Wi-Fi.
- Find the IP address on the following page.
Find on Windows
For Windows 10:
Here are some steps you can take to determine the IP address on the device running Windows 10:
- Navigate to the taskbar.
- Choose the Wi-Fi network you’re connected to.
- Click on properties.
- Find the IP address that is next to the IPv4 address.
For Windows 11:
It is also possible to find your IP address using a Windows 11 device. Here are the steps you can take to determine the IP address on Windows 11 device:
- Click “Start.”
- Navigate to “Settings” and look for “Network & Internet.”
- Choose “Wi-Fi” and look for your internet connection.
- Choose “Properties” here, and you will get an IP address. It’s identified as an IPv4 address.
What Are The Benefits Of Knowing Your IP Address?
The IP address of your computer is the specific identification number that is assigned to the device or computer each when you connect to the internet. The IP address identifies your device or computer to the internet, and permits websites and other services to relay information back to you.
Knowing your IP address can be helpful for a variety of reasons. For example, if you have problems connecting to a website or online service, you can use your IP address to troubleshoot the issue. Additionally, if you are trying to access blocked content in your region, you can use your IP address to bypass the block.
Tips For Securing Your IP Address
Here are some helpful tips to help ensure your IP address is secure:
- Install Virtual Private Network (VPN): The VPN can be used to hide your actual IP address. The virtual private network lets you connect to an intermediary network using an alternative IP address, which conceals your real IP address from prying eyes.
- Ensure you install updates: The router and firewall are regularly updated because they enhance the security. It is vital to install updates immediately when they are available.
- Modify privacy settings to prevent messages: Instant messaging apps allow people to identify your IP address and access the network. If you alter the settings to block messages or calls from people that you do not know, this can reduce the possibility of getting hacked.
- Use only secure, private networks: When you connect to a safe, private network, your internal IP addresses for your device will be protected from other devices on the web. External IP addresses will remain visible.