The downloading do not turn off target error is one of the most common issues reported by users. It mainly occurs on Samsung or Nexus devices. Their device unexpectedly reboots and a black screen appears mentioning the “Downloading…Do not turn off target” message. If you are encountering similar issues and don’t know the ways to fix it, do not worry. In this article, we have mentioned the steps that would help you to resolve the glitch in no time.
Procedures To Resolve Android Downloading Do Not Turn Off Target
The android phone says downloading do not turn off target is one of the errors that the Samsung or the Nexus users often encounter. If you are struggling with the same glitch, go through the guidelines as given below:
Method 1: Exit The Download mode
If you receive the Download Mode by mistake and then cannot fix the glitch, go through the following procedures. You need to make sure to check if you are working on the screen with the message stating “Downloading… Do not turn off target.”
- You need to press and hold the Power button, home and the Volume Down button together.
- Release them when the screen turns black.
- Now, if the device you are using automatically reboots, you need to press the Power button.
- If the device you are using is still unable to boot, you can try the other fixes.
Method 2: Forcing a Clean Restart
However, to fix the android downloading do not turn off target issue, you can try to restart your device. Go through the following steps that would help you to fix the error.
- At first, you need to hold the power button and wait for the device to turn off.
- Now, you need to take out the back case and also remove the battery.
- If you have a SIM card or an SD card, make sure to remove them.
- Now, you need to press and hold the power button for a few seconds. Doing this will discharge electric from the capacitors and some internal components.
- Finally, you need to power up the device and check if the device boots normally. Check if the android phone says downloading do not turn off target issue resolves.
Method 3: Wiping The Cache Partition
If the above two methods do not work for you, then your phone might be suffering from a firmware glitch. Thus to fix the downloading do not turn off target error, you can remove the cache. Go through the following steps:
- First, you need to power off your device completely by holding the power button. However, if it does not work, you can remove the battery as well.
- Alternatively, you can also hold the Volume Down button along with the Power button until the screen shuts off.
- Now press on the Volume Up key, Home button and also the Power button together.
- The device will then vibrate and the Android system recovery screen will appear on the screen. Upon receiving the screen, you need to release all the buttons.
- Now, again hold the Volume Down key and navigate downwards to highlight wipe cache partition.
- Finally, you need to press the Power button and wait until the process completes.
- When the process completes, you need to again use the Volume keys to select the ‘Reboot System Now’ option. Now, tap on the Power button again to restart your device. Check if the error that you were encountering persists.
Method 4: Performing a Master Reset
Lastly, to fix the glitch you can reset your device and check if the error resolves. Follow the steps given below:
Making a backup in Safe Mode
Besides backing up the data and information, rebooting your device in Safe Mode will help to solve the problem. Now, if the Safe Mode works without any difficulty, you may face a firmware or software conflict. Go through the following steps:
- Make sure to turn off your device.
- If the device is not responding, you need to hold the Power button or remove the battery.
- Now, you need to press the Power key to power your phone.
- When the initial screen appears, you need to release the Power button and also hold down the Volume Down key.
- Hold the button until the device restarts.
- You need to release the Volume down key the moment you see the Safe Mode icon in the bottom left corner of the computer screen.
- If the phone successfully boots, you need to go to the Settings option.
- Now, click on the Advanced Settings option and then choose the Backup and reset option. Finally, you need to tap on Back up my data.
- When the process ends, check if the error resolves.
Performing a Factory Reset
However, you can also perform a factory reset to fix the glitch. You need to follow the steps that are given below
- First, you need to turn off your device completely. You can also click on the Volume Up key, Home button and the Power button at the same time.
- When the phone vibrates and the initial android screen appears, you can release the Power button.
- Upon seeing the Android recovery menu, you need to release both the keys as well.
- You need to use the Volume down key and navigate downwards. Highlight wipe data/factory reset option.
- Now, you need to press on the Power button to select wipe data/factory reset. Also, use the Volume Down key to highlight ‘Yes – delete all user data’.
- Now, you need to hit on the Power button to start the factory reset.
- The process might take a few minutes to complete. When the process ends, you need to press and hold the Power button again to turn on the device.
The methods mentioned above will hopefully help you to resolve the downloading do not turn off target error quickly without any difficulty.