Sometimes, it might so happen that iTunes won’t open on Windows. This problem is rather annoying, as you cannot access your music collection, or connect the iOS device to your computer. The issue gets more confusing, as it doesn’t even show any error code. Which in turn lead uncertainty regarding troubleshooting process. Even restarting your computer, or repeatedly clicking on the iTunes icon doesn’t bring any changes to the scenario. If you are facing such issues, then this article will provide step-by-step solutions to this problem. After going through the solutions, you should be able to get rid of this iTunes error again.
Solution 1: Add A New iTunes Library On Windows 10
- Creating a new iTunes library may resolve this issue. To create a new library, follow these steps:
Click on the Start button, and select the iTunes folder from the programs list.
- Hold the Shift key and click on iTunes from the iTunes program menu.
- Release the Shift key and click on Create Library.
- Choose the location of your new library, and then name it. Click on Save.
- Check if this problem persists even after creating the new library.
Solution 2: Disconnect Your Computer From The Internet
If you are facing this issue while trying to connect to the iTunes store, then you can try disconnecting your PC from the internet, and check if iTunes does open without internet.
Close iTunes and disconnect your computer from the internet. If your system is connected to the wifi network then consider disconnecting the same. Then try to launch iTunes again if it works without the internet connection. It means there’s something wrong system drivers. In that case, updating the driver to the latest version might do the trick for you.
Solution 3: Update Drivers
If you are not sure how to update drivers on your computer, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to Control Panel, select view by Large icons, and Device Manager.
- In the list of installed devices, expand each one and look for any driver with a yellow exclamation beside it.
- Right-click on those drivers and select Update Driver Software.
- Then, click on Search automatically for updated driver software.
Windows will now search for an updated version of the driver software and install it on your PC. Follow the instructions on your screen to complete the process. Now, check if iTunes respond and open on your computer.
Solution 4: Start iTunes in Safe Mode
Starting iTunes in safe mode means it will be free from any interferences caused by any third-party plugins that you may have installed. Follow these steps to launch iTunes in safe mode:
Press the Shift key + Ctrl key, while starting iTunes. This will launch the iTunes in safe mode. If iTunes doesn’t open in safe mode, consider removing all third-party plugins from it.
Solution 4: Configure Firewall Settings
Configure your firewall to ensure that iTunes can connect to the internet. To allow iTunes through the Windows firewall, follow these steps:
- Click on the Start button and type firewall.cpl.
- Click on “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall” and then click on Change Settings.
- Enable iTunes for both public and private networks, and Bonjour for private networks only.
- If you do not find the software listed, then click on “Allow another app/program” and browse to the locations of iTunes and Bonjour installed on your computer.
- Once you locate it, click on Add, click OK and exit firewall.
Now, check if this resolves the issue of iTunes not opening on Windows.
Solution 5: Create A New User Account
Sometimes iTunes won’t open on Windows on a specific user account. In such a case, you may try to resolve the issue by creating a new user account and check if iTunes work in that account. If you are not sure how to create a new user account on Windows 10, you can follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to Control Panel, and under User Accounts, click on Change Account type.
- Click on Add a new user > Add someone else on this PC, and follow the instructions on your screen to create a new user.
- Now, login to your computer using the new user account created, and check if iTunes open with that account.
Solution 6: Reinstall iTunes
If none of the above methods resolves your issue, you may try to reinstall iTunes. Follow these steps to reinstall iTunes:
- Open Control Panel, and click on Uninstall a Program.
- From the list of installed programs that appear, uninstall iTunes in the following order:
- iTunes Apple Software Update
- Apple Mobile Device Support
- Apple Application Support 32-bit
- Apple Application Support 64-bit
- Now, delete the folders iTunes, Bonjour, and iPod from C: Disk and empty the Recycle Bin.
- Now, run the iTunes setup file to reinstall iTunes on your computer.
These are the solutions to try if iTunes won’t open on Windows. Hope, after following the fixes, you can resolve your issue.