Microsoft Windows is quite famous for its extremely comfortable user interface and enormous features. It is one of the renowned Operating System, that comes up with various updates in a regular interval. Despite these features users often come across certain difficulties. Hence, Windows update cannot currently check for updates has become the primary concern.
So here in this article, we would be addressing the issue, to help you eradicate the issue securely. Continue with the steps mentioned below. Following the steps should resolve the issue in the first instance.
Windows Update Service Not Running – Fix It Now
Before we jump into the solutions directly, let’s talk about this particular error. You are probably getting the “Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running” error message while checking for the Windows updates. And as a result, you fail to install the latest Windows features. This can generally happen due to corruption in the Windows update folder.
This is pretty much annoying and not that easy to fix without having core technical knowledge. There are thousands of solutions available on the internet and none of them really works. Windows update not running is a very common concern for many of the users, so you are definitely not alone. And this problem surely has some easy fixes that you can try out in order to get rid of this trouble.
Go through the methods mentioned below and know how to start Windows update service.
Method 1: Windows Update Troubleshooter
Fortunately, Windows has a built-in troubleshooter that can encounter and remove the Windows update errors easily. Therefore, running this tool can turn out to be helpful enough for you. These are the following steps that you can check in order to proceed with the task:
- Go to the Start button from the lower left corner of your system and write troubleshoot in the search bar. As soon as the options show up, select Troubleshooter from there.
- Next, click on the Fix problems with Windows Update option.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions to complete the procedure in an appropiate manner.
- Finally, try running the Windows Update again and check if the problem is still arising.
Method 2: Remove Malicious Software
Interference from malicious software can be another possible reason behind this error. Therefore, scanning your system to eliminate the malicious programs can be helpful for you to get out of the Windows Update problem.
Microsoft has recently released a Malicious Software Removal Tool that you can download. Simply, download it from a reliable source and run it on your device. This tool will come up with a few on-screen instructions that you can follow in order to complete the process.
Most of the times, this method has worked perfectly. So after you are done with the process, you won’t find the Windows Update error reflecting on your screen anymore.
Restart The Services Associated With Windows Update
In case the services associated with the Windows Update are somehow disabled, the problem may appear. So restarting the services can fix this Windows error in your case. Follow the steps to enable the services relating to the Windows Updates:
- Press R+Windows key altogether to invoke the Run Box.
- Type “services.msc” and press Enter. After this, the Services snap-in will appear.
- Now double-tap on Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- Choose the startup type as Automatic. Choose the Start button.
- Finally, select OK and close the window.
- Navigate to the Cryptographic services and double-click on it.
- Again choose the startup type as Automatic and select Start, then click on OK.
- After that, double-tap on Windows Update and do the same as mentioned before.
- At this point, close the Services snap-in window and reboot your system.
Update Windows Drivers
Obsolete and wrong drivers on your Windows operating system can create this trouble on your system. Therefore, whenever the Windows update service doesn’t run, you can check for driver update and if it requires, proceed with updating the driver as well.
First, check if the device drivers are outdated, if it so, then uninstall them straightaway. Make sure you are using a verified source while downloading the drivers for your system. Because downloading from wrong sources can lead your device to several more troubles.
Clean Software Distribution Folder
Generally, this folder holds some temporary files relating to Windows Update. In case some of the files get corrupted, Windows Update service may not run. Therefore, clear all the content from this specific folder and check if the problem still persists.
- Invoke the Run Box by pressing the Windows logo key and R together.
- Now open the Services snap-in window again by typing “services.msc”.
- Choose Stop after tapping on the Windows Update.
- Navigate to the File Explorer by pressing the Windows key+E together.
- Open C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and remove all the files and folders from there.
- Now go to Windows Update and start the process, after restoring the Services snap-in window.
- Finally, reboot your device and check if you can proceed with the Windows Update.
So, this all about the Windows unable to update problem. Applying all these tricks should successfully resolve the Windows Update service not running error. If you find these methods helpful in resolving the issue, then let us know in the comment section below.