Skype is one of the most popular and used applications for video calling and seamless voice conversations. There are millions of accounts on Skype.
But there might come a time when you don’t need the Skype account any more. In that case, you need to know how to delete the Skype account.
Here, we will guide you on how to delete your Skype account from both your computer and smartphone.
How to Delete Skype Account
This section consists of the procedures to delete the Skype account. Implement the methods carefully according to your requirements. But before that, you need to unlink the Microsoft account. To do that, you need to follow the next section.
How to Unlink the Microsoft Account
Before proceeding with the deletion process, first, you need to unlink the Microsoft Account. To do that, you need to implement the steps mentioned below.
- Open a Web Browser. In the Address Bar, write “Skype.com” to sign in to the account.
- On the next page, choose the “Account Settings” option. Now, select the “Settings and Preferences” option.
- Make sure the correct Microsoft account ID is showing. Also makes sure that there is an “Unlink/Not Linked” option beside the ID.
- If the ID is stating “Unlink” then detach it. After unlinking it, you will get a confirmation message on the screen.
- Tap on the “Continue” button to confirm.
Note: if you’re getting any “your mail address” or “outlook: your email address” message when the Skype name is showing, unlinking the ID will result in losing all the contacts that are saved in the Microsoft Account.
Delete Skype Account on Desktop
If you want to delete the Skype account from Mac device or Windows, you need to do the following:
- Open Skype on the desktop. Now, tap on Skype Name.
- A popup message will appear on the screen next. Tap on the “Settings” option.
- Next, tap on the “Close your Account” option. Check the ID and Password before proceeding.
- Now, go to the “Ready to close window”. Read the information given on the screen regarding what you will lose after deleting the account.
- Tap on the “Click” button now. Mark the boxes that are relevant to you.
- Choose the “Reason’ for deleting the account. Right after that, tap on the “Mark account for closure” option to complete the process.
Note: Once you are done with the above steps, Skype will remove the account automatically. But it might take some time to delete the account. Make sure you have taken all the Skype credits and other balances before removing the account.
Delete Skype on Mobile
Here, we will guide you to delete the Skype account from smartphones. To do that, go through the below-mentioned steps:
- Open “Skype” from the Smartphone. Now, go to the “Skype Name” section.
- Now, go to the “Settings” section. Tap on the “Account & Profile” section and then tap on the “Close your account” option.
- Make sure that on the next screen, the Password and the ID is given correctly.
- Check the list that will appear on the screen and then tap on the ‘Next’ section.
- Check the boxes that will appear on the screen and mark them all.
Now, make sure the “Reason” checkbox is marked. Next, tap on the “Mark account for closure” option from the list of ten reasons.
This procedure will delete the Skype account from Android and Apple devices.
If you think that Skype is invading privacy, then you should immediately remove the account. And if you want to remove all the information that you had given on Skype, such as your personal information, etc. follow the steps below.
Delete the Personal Information
To delete all the personal information from Skype, Sign to Skype Account and then click on the Name or Username. Now, tap on the “My Account” option.
When the NEXT page appears, tap on the “Edit Profile” option. In the “Personal Information” section, tap on the “Edit Profile” option and then remove all the personal details form there.
Remove the Contact details as well from Skype, so that no one can reach out to you even after deleting the account.
When you will delete all the personal information on Skype, you need to remove the Skype avatar that you used to use.
Remove the Account from the Login Screen
Besides, you can also delete the account from the login screen. To do that, go to the Start Menu and then write “Run” in the search box. Open the Run dialog box and write “%appdata%\Skype” and then tap on the “OK” button. Remove all the Skype related accounts from the list of the folders.
Remove the Username from Skype
If you don’t want to keep the username that you use on Skype, sign in to Skype Account. Next, tap on the “Account and Password” option and then choose the “Delete an Account” option. But it might take weeks to remove the account.