Fast Startup/ hiberboot/ hybrid boot or hybrid shutdown is a function which helps your PC to start up faster after a shutdown, even faster than hibernate. This feature turned on by default in Windows device. But how Fast Startup feature able to boot up so fast? Well, this function helps Windows to boot up faster by saving an image of the Windows kernel and loaded drivers to the hiberfile (C:\hiberfil.sys) upon shutdown. So when you start your PC again, Windows simply loads the hiberfile (C:\hiberfil.sys) into memory to resume your PC instead of restarting it. If you want to disable Fast Startup Windows 10 and unaware of the procedure to do it, then this article is for you. You can go through this article to know the effective procedures to do it.
Why do Users Need to Disable Fast Startup in Windows 10 Device?
Even though Fast Startup features has many advantages for the users but it also has some disadvantages as well which forced the users to disable the Fast Startup features. If you are interested to know the causes to disable Fast Startup Windows 10, then these are as follows:
- When Fast Startup is enabled in a Windows device, it does not allow to completely shut down the device but there are some updates able which require to shutdown window completely. So, when Fast Startup is enabled in a Windows 10 device, it does not allow to apply such updates which cause several types of software related problem for the users.
- If you are using your PC with a dual boot, then you should not enable Fast Startup in your device because then you will shut down your PC with Fast Startup enabled. Also, Windows will lock down the hard disk and for that reason, you will not be able to access it from other operating systems.
- The PCs which do not support Hibernation also do not support Fast Startup as well. That’s why if such devices have Fast Startup enabled, it leads to PC not respond properly and causes boots up error for the users.
- In some system, you will not be able to use BIOS/UEFI when Fast Startup is enabled.
- A Fast Startup also interferes with encrypted disk images.
People often try to find a way to disable this feature from their device to avoid the above-listed problem but not able to do so due to lack of guidance. That’s why today we are gonna discuss all the possible ways to disable Fast Startup feature. So, if you also want to know how to disable Fast Startup Windows 10, then follow the rest of the article carefully.
Practical Methods to Disable Fast Startup in Windows 10:
Basically, there is only one general way to turn off Fast Startup in Windows 10. But you can also use some roundabout method with the help of the Registry Editor and some other stuff to turn off the Fast Startup feature. After going through some online research, our experts have found some potential ways to disable Fast Startup feature. To learn how to use them, follow the rest of the article carefully.
Methods #1: Disable Fast Startup with the Help of Control Panel
This is the general/basic way to turn off Fast Startup in Windows 10. If you don’t know how to use the Control Panel to disable the feature, then follow the below steps:
- At first, turn on your device and then select the Start Menu to use the search bar.
- Now, in the search bar, type Control Panel and select the Control Panel from the search result.
- Next, from the new window, make sure that View by is set to Category option. After confirming it, click on the System and Security option from the list.
- Now, from the System and Security window, click on the Power Options.
- When the power options windows open, click on the “Choose what the power button does” from the left panel to open the System Settings.
- After that, click on “Change settings that are currently available” option from the current window (under the Define power buttons and turn on password protection section).
- Once you click on the “Change settings that are currently available”, the Shutdown Settings section will be enabled to make changes. Now, Under the shutdown setting, uncheck the box which is labeled as Turn on Fast Startup option.
After completing the above changes, click on the Save Changes button and then restart your device to completely disable Fast Startup in Windows 10.
Methods #2: Use Registry Editor
If you are unable to use Control Panel to turn off the Fast Startup, then you can use the Registry editor to do the same thing. This process is a little bit longer and also a little bit risky if you try to do without proper knowledge about changing the key values. So, we will advise you to follow each step of this method carefully to avoid making any mistakes.
- At first, turn on your computer and then press Windows+R key to launch the Run dialogue box.
- Now, type “regedit” in the Run dialogue box and then, press Enter to launch the Registry Editor of your computer.
- Once the Registry Editor window open, select HKEY_CURRENT_USER from the left side of the screen and then follow the below-mentioned path:
- In the Power folder, you will see a list of DWORD and BINARY type files. Now, find the DWORD file named as HiberbootEnabled from the right side of the screen.
- Next, double click on it to change its key value. Once the Edit DWORD Value windows opens, set the Value data to 0. Also, don’t forget to change the Base type to Hexadecimal and press Ok to save the changes that you have made.
- Now, exit from the current window and then restart your device to apply the changes that you have made so far.
If you want to enable the feature again, then you can do it by changing the HiberbootEnabled key value to 1.
Methods #3: Use Command Prompt
If none of the above methods works for you, then your last option will be using the command prompt to disable the Fast Startup. To use this method; follow the instructions provided below:
- First, click on the Start Menu and then, type cmd in the search bar.
- From the search results, select the command prompt option and make sure to run it with administrative privileges. To run with administrative privileges, you have to right-click on it and then select the Run as Administrator option
- Once the black box opens, type the following command “powercfg – h off” and then hit the Enter button.
After entering the following command, you will be able to disable the Fast Startup Windows 10 feature without further problem.
Hope these methods are able to properly guide you to know how to disable Fast Startup Windows 10. We try our best to put all the available effective methods in this article. In case, we forget to add any important method in this article, then let us know via the comment section below. We will add the method as soon as possible. If you are still unable to disable the Fast Startup, then we will highly recommend getting in touch with an expert for better guidance.