For security and overall performance improvements, Windows launches the existing operating system update on a regular basis. But sometimes, while doing so, you might notice that the feature update to Windows 10 version 1709 failed to install.
There are multiple causes that can help lead you to this error. However, it is more difficult to find out the exact causes of this problem. Because each update causes different issues and have different reasons.
[Fixed] Feature Update to Windows 10 Version 1709 Failed to Install
Basically, the problem appears when you try to install or update Windows 10 version 1709. This is also known as Fall Creator Update.
So, if you are getting the same error, apply these troubleshooting methods to get rid of this situation.
#1. Disable the Antivirus Software Temporarily
We observed that the third-party antivirus software prevents the update procedure. Hence, the device is not able to install the updated version. To fix the problem, turn off the antivirus software while doing updating or installing the latest version of Windows.
To turn off the antivirus software, follow the steps mentioned in the section below.
- At first, locate the antivirus software on your device and double-click on it. After that, move to the Settings section.
- Thereafter, move to the Firewall section and disable the antivirus software by adjusting the toggle switch.
Now, try to update or install the Windows update and check whether you are encountering the same issue or not.
If the problem gets resolved then you should turn on the antivirus software again to protect your device from viruses and malware.
#2. Reset the Windows Update Components
According to the users, the problem might appear due to the Windows Update service or caches present on the Windows as well.
In this situation, reset the Windows Update components. To do so, follow the steps mentioned below.
- First of all, press the Start button and then type ‘cmd’ in the search bar. Next, right-click on the ‘cmd’ icon and select the Run as Administrator option from the drop-down menu.
- Thereafter, enter the following commands one by one and hit the Enter button each time to execute them properly.
- First command: net stop bits
- Second command: net stop wuauserv
- Third command: net stop appidsvc
- Forth command: net stop cryptsvc
After that, enter the following command lines in the command window and press the Enter key.
- ren %systemroot%\softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.old
- ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
After successfully stopping the Windows update components, you need to start them. Therefore, enter some commands that are listed in the section below.
- First command: net start bits
- Second Command: net start wuauserv
- Third Command: net start appidsvc
- Forth command: net start cryptsvc
Hit the Enter button every time. Now, you have to reset the Windows Update Components successfully. Hence, try to install or update the Windows update and check whether you are getting the same error message or not.
#3. Run the DISM Utility
The 1709 update might fail to update or install because of the corrupted or damaged system files. Therefore, to avoid such a situation, run the DISM tool in order to repair the system files. To do that, follow the steps mentioned under section.
- At first, press the Start button and then type ‘cmd’ in the search window. Now, right-click on the ‘cmd’ icon and click on the Run as Administrator option.
- Now, type the following command in the Command Prompt window and hit the Enter button to execute the command.
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Due to this, command the DISM tool will automatically launch on your device and started scanning your device.
- Wait until the process gets completed. Now, restart the system check whether the problem gets resolved or not.
#4. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Microsoft launched the Windows Update Troubleshooter tool in order to analyze the Windows update module and resolve the issue. It will then scan all your files.
To launch this tool, follow the steps described in the section below.
- First of all, download the Windows Update Troubleshooter tool from the official website of Microsoft. Now, open the Windows file. When the troubleshooting method has started, choose the Windows Update section and click on the Next button.
- Next, it will analyze the device and all the system files have been scanned and the registry values as well.
It will take some time to complete the process. Be patient and wait until the process gets completed.
- In case, there is an updated version of this tool is available, then this newer version is more suitable for resolving the problem.
- Hence, choose the “Run the Windows 10 Windows Update Troubleshooter” in case prompted on the system screen.
- After that, select the Next button and analyze the registry values and your device as well.
- Finally, select the “Apply this fix” to resolve the problem. Once done, restart the system and check whether the problem still persists or not.
#5. Update the Time, Region and Language Settings
If the above solutions are not able to resolve the problem then check the time, region and language of your device. If the time, date, region and language are set properly, then also you will encounter this problem.
To check them apply these steps.
- First of all, press the Windows key and S key to launch the search bar. After that, type ‘settings’ in the search box and hit the Enter button.
- Check whether the date and time are set properly or not. If not then uncheck the box corresponding to the ‘set time automatically’ and ‘set timezone automatically’.
- Then click on the Change button after setting the date and time of your device.
- Again launch the search window and then enter the Language in the search box.
- Then, select the language from the list and then click on the “Additional time, date & regional settings” option.
Now, you have successfully set the time, date, region and language. After that, try to update 1709 and check whether you are getting the same issue or not.
Hopefully, after applying these steps you can easily resolve feature update to windows 10 version 1709 failed to install problem.