Firefox is a well-known web browser that has better extension support and enhanced privacy options than its competitor. So, if you are encountering an error message as one couldn’t load XPCOM then it’s probably due to outdated or corrupted files.
XPCOM is the main framework of Mozilla Firefox and without it, you won’t be able to run the browser. To overcome this issue follow the several fixes that are given down below.
Firefox Couldn’t Load XPCOM: Reason & Fixes
There are no specific reasons for XPCOM to show an error. However, this can be due to an outdated update or a glitch in the system. It is also possible if you are running a very old version of Firefox.
Generally, users encountered this error after a proper Windows update. Some files after the update might be corrupted as a result the error appears in the browser. To fix the Firefox couldn’t load XPCOM error, implement the solutions that are given below.
Solution 1: Repair Corrupted Files
If your system files are corrupted and causing this issue, then repairing them can help you fix this error. To repair the corrupted files here are the steps to perform:
- First, run the Command prompt from the Start menu. You can also type “cmd” in the Run dialog box to open Command Prompt option.
- Now, run Command prompt in administrator mode and clear the screen using “cd’ command.
- Then, type SFC /SCANNOW command on the Command Prompt and hit the Enter option.
- Now the Windows will run its System File Checker and scan for any corrupted files. If any file is found corrupted, then it will repair them by itself.
This process might take some time as Windows System File Checker will check your full system for any corrupted or missing files. But this process will repair the corrupted files and bugs if found any instantly.
Solution 2: Troubleshoot
Windows provide the basic fixes if something in your system goes wrong. Therefore, you can run the troubleshoot option on your computer to check and repair it if you encounter any problem.
- First, go to the Setting menu of your computer. In Windows 10, you can access the Setting menu from the right-hand side of your desktop Taskbar.
- Then, navigate to the Update & Security tab.
- Now in the Update& Security tab, choose the Troubleshoot option and run it.
Although you might not get a permanent fix for this error as it might not provide a general fix to this solution. If you are still facing this issue, read the other methods.
Solution 3: Disable Firefox Extension in Safe Mode
Some extensions might conflict with the Firefox application package. Start Firefox in safe mode if it starts then the error is probably due to extension installed in your browser. To start the application in safe mode and remove conflicting extensions follow the given steps:
- First, hold down the shift key in your keyboard and double click on Mozilla Firefox to open the application.
- Click on the message that prompts you to start Firefox in safe mode. If the browser starts, then some extension is causing the XPCOM error.
- Now to disable the Firefox plugin, go to the main menu and choose the Add-ons.
- Then in the extension tab, disable each extension one at a time and restart your browser. This will then help you square out the extension causing the Couldn’t load XPCOM error.
After you find out the problematic extension, remove it completely and restart your browser in normal mode. Even after you disable all your extension the error is still showing then use the other solutions provided.
Solution 4: Reset Firefox to Default
Restoring settings in Firefox might help to fix the XPCOM error. You can also restore Firefox settings to default by
- First, start the Firefox browser in Safe mode by holding the shift key and double-clicking on the browser icon.
- Now a prompt window will open, choose the Refresh Firefox button.
- Then in the final confirmation screen, choose the Refresh Firefox button again.
Note: The refresh Firefox button will restore all your settings to default. It will then delete any existing profile and remove all the extensions from your Firefox account. Along with that, it will also reset any plugins, preference or any added search engines.
It won’t affect your bookmarks, history or passwords saved in your browser.
Solution 5: Update Firefox
If you are using an outdated version of firefox then, it is advised to check for the latest software and install them. Although browsers are auto-updated over the web. But still if for some reason you are using outdated software then download the latest software from the official website.
Upgrading to the new version will help resolve the error that may affect the loading of your browser.
Solution 6: Reinstall Firefox
Before you proceed with the installation of Firefox, make sure that you remove it from your system completely. To remove the browser completely perform the given steps.
- First, open Control Panel from the Start menu. Alternatively, you can search for it with the same name.
- Then in the control panel, navigate to Programs and Features option.
- Now search for Firefox browser from the list in Programs and Features tab and click on it.
- An uninstall pop up will open up. Hence, follow the on-screen instruction to remove the Firefox browser completely.
After you remove the browser, download the latest software from the developer website and clean install it. After this process, the XPCOM error should be fixed.
The web browser like any other software can run into issues from time to time. Keeping the software and Windows updated may help in reducing these issues. With all the solutions provided above, hopefully, you will be able to fix the Firefox couldn’t load XPCOM error.