Discord is a voice over Internet protocol that allows gamers to communicate among themselves while playing the game. The Overlay feature of the Discord application enables a full-screen display while playing games online. If you are encountering the Discord Overlay not working issue, then no need to worry.
We have gathered some excellent fixes to resolve the error for gamers. If you are stuck with the error when you are laying League of Legends, Fortnite, or other games, you can rely on the following fixes.
Before you jump to the fixes, we would like to mention the reasons behind this issue. The reasons can help you to fix the error more reliably. Some of the known reasons behind this malfunctioning of Discord Overlay are a disabled in-Game option, scaled display, hardware acceleration, overlay position, and antivirus interference.
Salient Ways to Fix Discord Overlay Not Working Issue:
If you are stuck with the Discord Overlay not working for the WoW game or any other games, then you should check if the game supports the Overlay feature. Most popular games support this feature and if you have noticed that the game is on the list, then you should try all these fixes.
Fix 1: Enable the In-Game Overlay Option
Firstly, you have to check if the In-Game Overlay option is enabled. Use these simple guidelines cited below.
- Click the Discord desktop icon on the screen. Otherwise, open the Discord app through the Start menu of your PC.
- Next, go to the Wheel icon that indicates the User Settings of the app.
- Choose the Overlay option from the left pane of the window.
- You have to toggle the slide next to the ‘Enable in-game overlay’ option. Make sure that you have enabled this option.
- Now, come to the left pane and opt for the Game Activity option.
- You have to locate the game that you are playing on the right pane. Ensure that the Overlay feature is switched on for that game. If the feature is disabled, then enable it as soon as possible.
- In case you can’t locate your game, then you can easily add it through the Add It option. Choose the game that you are playing and add the game with the help of the Add Game option.
- If you find that the Overlay feature is already enabled, switch it off. After a while, again re-enable the feature.
Finally, confirm all the applied settings and launch the game again. Check if you can enjoy the Overlay feature on your favorite game, now.
Fix 2: Restart the Computer
This fix is very easy to apply. The Overlay feature can behave abnormally due to background apps running on your computer. You should restart your computer. Then, launch the Discord app. Try the Overlay feature now and check out if it works now.
Fix 3: Permit Discord Admin Privilege
If the Discord app doesn’t have administrative privileges, then this error is usual. You can use the following guidelines to get rid of the Discord Overlay not working Overwatch games issue.
- You have to fetch the Discord application through the Start menu of your Windows computer. Right-click on the application. Otherwise, you can directly right-click on the desktop icon of Discord.
- Choose the Run as Administrator option from the context menu.
- If any User Account Access prompt appears, click on the Yes button. The application should launch itself.
Now, launch your favorite game with the enabled Overlay feature. If you opt for the above steps, then you have to perform the steps each time you open the Discord app. If you want to avoid this method for each launch, then you have to go through the steps cited below.
- Locate the desktop icon of the Discord app. Right-click on it.
- Choose the Properties option from the context menu.
- Head towards the Compatibility tab inside the Properties option. You have to check the checkbox next to the ‘Run this program as an administrator’ option under the Settings window.
- Next, click the OK button.
This will fix the issue if it had an admin privilege issue with the Discord app. Launch the Discord app and open a game of your choice. Check if you can cast the game in the Overlay feature.
Fix 4: Quit Background Applications
If the above-mentioned three fixes couldn’t solve the error of the Discord Overlay, then you can try this simple hack. You have to close all the programs that are interfering with the Discord app. You can manually quit the programs or you can simply go through the guidelines mentioned below.
- Open the Task Manager. You can use the following shortcut keys to open the Task Manager: Ctrl+Alt+Delete.
- Go to the tab named as Properties.
- You have to select each and every running process. Then click on the End Task button.
This method will surely end the tasks running on your PC. Now, try to launch the Discord app and check if you have enabled the Overlay feature.
Fix 5: Activate the Hotkey for Overlay
You should have launched a hotkey for the Overlay feature on the Discord app. If you have one, then you should look out if the Overlay hotkey is not interacting with other hotkeys associated with the Discord app.
If you haven’t activated a hotkey for the Overlay hotkey, use the steps mentioned below.
- Double-click on the desktop app of Discord.
- Now, head towards the User Settings. It is indicated by a wheel or a gear icon at the right of your Avatar.
- Choose the Overlay option from the left pane under the App Settings window.
- There’s a hotkey next to the ‘Enable in-game overlay’ option.
- You need to assign a new hotkey.
Now, you can use the Overlay hotkey whenever you open the Discord application.
Fix 6: Adjust the Display Scale
You might not be able to access the Overlay feature if you use the display scale is higher than 100%. Check the following process out to eradicate the Discord Overlay not working issue.
- Go to the Settings app of your Windows PC.
- Next, go to the System section.
- After that, you have to choose the Display option. You can notice the Scale and Layout section. Choose the Scale as a 100%(Recommended) option.
Now, you can relaunch your game on the Discord app and check if the issue vanishes.
Fix 7: Deactivate Hardware Acceleration
Hardware Acceleration can efficiently run the Discord app. But it may give you a little headache with the Overlay feature. Go through the following guidelines to overcome the issue.
- Expand the Discord app just by double-clicking the desktop icon of Discord.
- Go to the User settings option.
- Click the Appearance option from the left pane of the App Settings.
- Locate the Hardware Acceleration on the right pane. Toggle it off.
- Confirm the prompt by clicking the Ok button.
Check whether the issue persists after relaunching the Discord app.
Fix 8: Deactivate Windows Firewall
If you are still having trouble with the Discord Overlay feature, then you should consider disabling the Windows Firewall. Stick to the guidelines stated below.
- Open the Start menu and search for Windows Firewall through the Search bar.
- Open the Windows Firewall option from the results.
- Opt for the ‘Turn Windows Firewall on or off’ option from the left pane.
- Choose the option named ‘Turn off Windows Firewall (Not Recommended)’.
Finally, save all the changes by clicking the Ok button. Check if the Discord Overlay not working issue gets resolved.
Hopefully, the guide was helpful to deal with the Discord Overlay not working issue. You can additionally disable your third-party antivirus programs too. If the error still annoys you, you can use a VPN service instead of a proxy. If the issue still persists, opt for the reinstallation of the Discord app.