One of the good features of the current Windows Operating System is that it has the best Update tool. This tool helps to keep the OS and its various other programs up to date. Despite this fact, Windows 10 users encounter many problems. One problem that you can face is the error code 0x800705b4. There are many reasons why you can face this glitch. Some of the reasons are, if the updates of the OS gets corrupted, then you can get this error. Even if the settings of the Update tool are altered somehow, then it can lead to error messages. Further, if the Windows Defender service is not running, then you can face this problem.
Solutions to Rectify Error Code 0x800705b4
In this section of the article, you will get various points that can help you to fix the error code 0x800705b4 in a simple manner.
Perform a Normal Restart
The easiest solution to rectify or correct Windows 10 update 0x800705b4 is to do a normal restart of the computer. This process can solve any glitches within an instant. So, try to follow these lines below.
- First, tap on the ‘Windows Logo’, then within the ‘Start’ menu choose the ‘Power’ icon.
- After that, from the popup options menu, select the Restart option. This will initiate the process to start the computer once again.
- Once the machine boots up, then attempt to update the Operating System and inspect whether you can see this problem or not.
Alter the Settings of Update & Security Category
You can get this error if the settings of the Update tool within the Windows OS gets corrupted somehow. The solution to correct this problem is to change update settings. In order to do it, follow the steps below.
- First, tap on the combination of ‘Windows Logo + I’ keys simultaneously. This will launch a new window called ‘Windows Settings’.
- Inside this window, navigate to the bottom of the window and choose the category ‘Update & Security’. After that, a new page will come up, scroll down a little and tap the link ‘Advanced options’.
- Next, again another new page within this window will open up. On this page, toggle the switch to ‘Off’ position for the option ‘Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows’, under the heading ‘Update Options’.
- Now, choose the ‘Home’ icon on the upper left corner of this window. After that, move down and again choose the category ‘Update & Security’.
- On the page that comes up next, tap on the ‘Check for updates’ button. This will automatically search for any updates available and download them. All the updates will be presented on the list.
- Once every update is downloaded, then just tap on the ‘Install All’ button.
- At last, reboot the computer to apply any alteration.
Execute the DISM and System File Checker
The SFC or System File Checker is an inbuilt tool that scans for errors or corruption in the system files and corrects them. The Deployment Image Servicing and Management or DISM is another built-in tool that helps you to fix the corrupt system files of the Windows OS. Follow the lines beneath to execute the SFC and DISM tool, in order to correct this issue.
- First, hit the ‘Windows Logo + X’ to open the menu options. After that, from the menu choose the option ‘Windows PowerShell (Admin)’.
- When the new window opens with the heading that has the same name as the option you chose on the last line, type the command- “sfc/ scannow” and then press ‘Enter’ to execute it.
- This is a command that scans the computer to find any system files that are corrupt. Now, if the SFC tool finds any files that are problematic, then it will automatically attempt to fix it.
- Once the execution of the command is complete, then close the ‘Windows PowerShell’ window.
- Now, if this issue appears once again, then launch the application ‘Windows Powershell’ and within it, type the command “DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth”. After that, to run this command hit the ‘Enter’ key.
- When this command’s execution gets over, then check if you are getting the same error or not.
Activate the Windows Defender Service
You can get the Windows Defender error code 0x800705b4 if the service of this application is not activated. Thus, the solution to correct this problem is to enable the service of Windows Defender application. For that to happen, follow the sentences underneath.
- First, press both the keys ‘Windows Logo + R’ simultaneously. This will launch the ‘Run’ dialog box.
- Within this dialog box, just on the right side of the label ‘Open’, type a text “services.msc” on the textbox and then, tap on the button ‘OK’ to open a new window. This window has the name ‘Services’.
- On this window locate and double-click on the option ‘Windows Defender Firewall’ to open its ‘Properties’ window.
- Now, a new window opens up, within it choose the tab ‘General’. Under that tab, go to the label ‘Startup type’ and then, tap the drop-down menu to select the option ‘Automatic’. Next, tap the button ‘Stop’ to close the service, and then hit the ‘Start’ button to initiate it.
- After that, tap on the ‘Apply’ and then, ‘OK’ button respectively.
- Again, go to the ‘Services’ window, and then double-click on the ‘Windows Defender Antivirus Service’ and launch that service specific ‘Properties’ window.
- Now, repeat the fourth and fifth steps on this point.
- Once all the above services are enabled, then reboot the computer to apply any changes.
Set the Components of Windows Update Manually
If any component of the Windows Update is corrupt due to some internal glitches within the tool, then the only solution is to manually reset those components. Follow the lines beneath, in order to do it.
- First, tap on the ‘Cortana Logo’ present on the taskbar, to open the search area. After that, within the search area, type the text “command prompt” and then hit the key ‘Enter’.
- From the output of the search, locate the option ‘Command Prompt’ and right-click on it. Next, tap on the option ‘Run as administrator’ from the popup menu. This will open a new window called ‘Command Prompt’
- On this window, type the following series of commands and after each of them tap the ‘Enter’ key to execute them: ‘net stop wuauserv”, “net stop cryptsvc”, “net stop msiserver” and “net stop bits”. The above commands will allow you to deactivate the services ‘Windows Update Services’, ‘Cryptographic Services’, ‘MSI Installer’ and ‘BITS’ respectively.
- Now, in order to rename the folders ‘SoftwareDistribution’, ‘Catroot2’, type the commands and hit ‘Enter’: “ren C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old” and “ren C:\\Windows\\System32\\catroot2 Catroot2.old” respectively.
- When all the steps are complete, then activate the services on the third step of this section. To do that put the commands and tap on the ‘Enter’ after you type each of them: “net start wuauserv”, “net start msiserver”, “net start cryptSvc” and “net start bits”.
- Once all the above components are enabled, quit the ‘Command Prompt’ window and restart the machine to examine whether this error comes back or not.
Execute the Disk Check Scan
Sometimes, the error code 0x800705b4 can even occur due to corruption within the files that are present on the hard disk. When applications related to a corrupt file is updated, then this error might appear. So, in order to fix it, the only solution is to execute the ‘Disk Check’ tool. To do that, follow the sentences below.
- First, go to the previous process and follow the first two steps to open the ‘Command Prompt’ window.
- Inside this window, type the command ‘chkdsk /f X:’ and tap on the ‘Enter’ key to execute it. Here, replace the ‘X:’ with the drive name present within your machine.
- When you enter the above command, instantly a confirmation message will come up.
- Now, to perform a disk check, tap on the ‘Y’ and then ‘Enter’ key to confirm the message and run the “chkdsk” command.
- At last, when the execution of this command is complete, restart the PC and see if this problem is still present or not.
Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
If all the above processes do not help you to rectify this problem, then the only solution available for you is to execute an inbuilt tool ‘Windows Update Troubleshooter’. In order to do it, follow these steps.
- First, right-click on the ‘Windows Logo’ to launch the options menu. Within that menu, locate and choose the option ‘Settings’. This will open a new window called ‘Windows Settings’.
- Now, within this window, find and select the ‘Update & Security’ category. Then, a new page of this window will open up.
- On that page, navigate to the left panel, then locate and select the option ‘Troubleshoot’. In the right panel of the page that has the same name as the option you chose on the last line, go to the subheading ‘Get up and running’ and under it, select the option ‘Windows Update’.
- When the option list appears, then locate the button ‘Run the troubleshooter’ and tap it.
- After that, a new window comes up, within it follow the instructions step-by-step to repair any update.
- Once this repair procedure is over, then reboot the machine.
If after following all the steps on the previous section you are unable to rectify error code 0x800705b4, then do not worry. Just, give the details of your query in the comment section, present at the end of this page.