Windows update error code 0xc1900208 is a prominent error that appears when you are trying to update the system to the latest version of the Operating System.
This error code indicates that you have an incompatible program installed on the device that is not letting the update complete.
This error code can be caused due to several reasons including a poor internet connection, third-party security software or Windows firewall, corrupted or missing the system files, or when the Windows update service is stopped.
Although it is a critical error, it is not impossible to fix the error code 0xc1900208 on the device.
Fixing Windows Update Error Code 0xc1900208
Sometimes, restarting a device can fix several problems that you encounter on it. So, restart the device and then check if the error code still appears or not.
If the problem still occurs then you need to try other fixes. Here we will be providing six effective fixes that will help you get rid of the Windows 10 error code 0xc1900208 from the device.
Fix 1: Check the Internet Connection
The first thing that you should do is check the internet connection. Sometimes, if there is a problem with the internet connection then it may fail to update the device. Therefore you need to check if the internet connection is working correctly or not.
If you are using a router, then restart the router and check if the error still occurs or not. If the system is connected with the Ethernet cable then disconnect the cable and reconnect it.
After doing this, try to update the system to check if the error code still arises or not.
Fix 2: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows update troubleshooter tool can resolve the Windows update error code 0xc1900208 on the Windows 10 device. To run this tool, follow these steps:
- Press the Win + I keys at the same time to launch the Settings window.
- When you are in the Settings window, double-click on the Update & Security section and then select the Troubleshoot tab.
- In the Troubleshoot tab, scroll down the page and locate the Windows Update Troubleshooter section, select it.
- Thereafter, click on the Run the troubleshooter option.
- Once the process is finished, restart your device and then check if the problem is fixed or not.
Fix 3: Uninstall Incompatible Software
Unnecessary programs or software can also cause this error code on the Windows 10 computers. Therefore, you need to remove them as soon as possible. The following steps will help you do that.
- Press the Start button and then click on the Settings icon.
- From the Settings window, go to the Apps section and then select the Apps & Features tab on the left panel.
- On the right, locate the unnecessary programs one by one, select them and then click on the Uninstall option to remove them.
- Once the uninstallation process is complete, restart the device and then check if it resolves this error or not.
Fix 4: Disable the Windows Firewall Feature
The Windows Defender firewall can also be responsible for the Microsoft error code 0xc1900208 on the PC. So, you can try disabling it and check if that resolves the error.
- Click on the Start icon and then choose Control Panel.
- When the Control Panel window opens, navigate to the Windows Firewall section.
- In that section, click on the Turn Windows Firewall On and Off option.
- On the right, tick off the Turn off Windows Firewall (recommended) option from both Private Network Settings and Public Network Settings sections.
- Once done, click on the Save Changes button.
Fix 5: Uninstall Third-Party Security Software
After disabling the Windows firewall feature, if the error code still appears then you can try to remove the third-party security software from your computer.
Sometimes, the security software can block the device from updating. Before updating the system, you need to remove the security software and check if that fixes the error.
- Go to the Control Panel window and double-click on the Programs & Features section.
- From that section, look for the security software installed on your PC.
- After that, select it and then click on the Uninstall option.
- Once the uninstallation process is complete, reboot your Windows 10 computer.
Fix 6: Reset the Windows Components
Resetting the Windows components can help resolve this error code on Windows 10. Below are certain steps that you can follow to do that.
- Press the Windows button and then type cmd in the Search box.
- Right-click on the search result and then select Run as administrator.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands net stop bits, net stop wuauserv, net stop appidsvc, and net stop cryptsvc.
- Hit the Enter button after typing each command.
- Once these commands are executed, reboot the device and then rename the softwaredistribution folder.
- To do that, type the following commands in the Command Prompt window and press the Enter button after typing each.
1.ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
2.ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
- After renaming this folder, restart the services. To do that:
- Type the following commands net start bits, net start wuauserv, net start appidsvc, and net start cryptsvc and hit the Enter key after typing each to restart the services.
- Now, reboot the Windows 10 computer and then try to update the device to check if the glitch is eliminated or not.
Fix 7: Perform a Clean Boot
Performing a clean boot can also fix the error code 0xc1900208 on the system. Here’s how to do that:
- Press the Windows Home key + R button to launch the Run box.
- Type msconfig and then click on the OK option or hit the Enter button.
- When you are in the System Configuration window, go to the Services tab and mark the box next to Hide all Microsoft services and then click on the Disable all button.
- After that, move to the Startup tab and then click on the Open Task Manager link.
- In the Task Manager window, navigate to the Startup tab, select all the startup items one by one, right-click on them and then select the Disable button.
- After doing this, close the Task Manager window and go back to the System Configuration window.
- From that window, click on the Apply and OK buttons to save the changes.
- After that, restart the Windows 10 PC and then check if the issue is resolved or not.
These are the effective fixes to get rid of the Windows update error code 0xc1900208 on a Windows 10 computer.