Gmail is one of the most highly used email services across the world due to its new and advanced features. Users find Gmail comfortable due to its interactive interface. Though Gmail is a popular platform, it doesn’t come without errors. Gmail users have reported several problems and Gmail error 76997 is one of them.
Users encounter this error code while sending an email to an individual or a group of recipients. It is not necessary to have technical knowledge for resolving Gmail issues. Even a non-technical person can tackle problems without any hassles.
Effective Methods to Fix Gmail Error 76997
We have some simple tricks you can try to fix this error.
Method 1: Update the Browser
For Android or Tablet Users: Go to the Play Store App and tap the ‘Menu’ icon. Choose ‘My Apps and Games’ and tap the ‘Update’ button to get the available updates.
Look for the browser you are using and tap the ‘Update’ button again to update it to its latest version.
For Desktop Users: Open Chrome on your PC and tap the ‘More’ icon to check the color of the icon. A green color indicates that an update is available for 2 days.
Similarly, the orange color indicates the availability of an update for 4 days, and the red color states that the update is available for a period of 7 days. So, click the ‘Update Google Chrome’ link if you are using Chrome, or else choose another browser. Then, tap the ‘Relaunch’ tab to launch the latest version of the browser on your PC.
Method 2: Check the Installed Extensions
It is the preliminary fix to inspect your Gmail issue. We have discussed this method for Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer separately for your convenience.
- Open Firefox web browser and click the ‘Menu’ icon at the top-left corner of the window and choose ‘Add-ons.’
- Windows XP users go to the ‘Menu’ bar and click ‘Tools’ to choose ‘Add-ons’ under it.
- Tap on ‘Extensions’ to view extensions and ‘Plugins’ to view plugins installed on your PC.
- Select one extension at a time and tap the ‘Disable’ button.
- Do the same, to disable Plugins plugins as well.
- Then, select all add-ons individually and tap the ‘Disable’ button to remove them from your PC.
- Launch the browser, tap the ‘Menu’ icon, and choose ‘More Tools.’
- Now, select ‘Extensions’ to view the installed extensions on your PC.
- Uncheck the ‘Enabled’ box next to a particular extension to disable it or click the ‘Trash’ icon to delete it.
- Type ‘chrome://plugins’ in the address bar and press ‘Enter’ to view the plugins installed for your browser.
- Then, choose a plugin and tap the ‘Disable’ button under it in order to disable it on the browser.
- Use the same process to disable the remaining plugins as well.
Alternatively, you can open a new tab on Chrome and enter ‘://extensions/’ into the address bar to disable the extensions automatically.
Internet Explorer 10
- Open Internet Explorer and click the ‘Tools’ icon under ‘Menu.’
- Tap on ‘Manage add-ons’ and select ‘Add-ons’ to get a list of add-ons available for your PC.
- Select an add-on and tap the ‘Disable’ button next to it.
- It disables the particular add-on on your web browser.
Method 3: Access Gmail in Incognito Window
According to many users, Gmail is accessible in the incognito window and does not display the error code 76997. Thus, launch your web browser and click the ‘Menu’ icon.
Then, choose ‘new Incognito window’ to open the incognito window. Enter Gmail in the address bar of the incognito window and press ‘Enter’ to check whether you can access your account or not.
Method 4: Access Gmail on Another Browser
If another browser is installed on your PC, then try to access Gmail in it. You can give it a try with Firefox, Chrome, or Internet Explorer a.
Method 5: Create a Contact Group
- To create a group contact, go to Google Contacts and navigate to the left pane.
- Click ‘Labels’ and select ‘Create label’ under it.
- Enter a name and click ‘OK’ to create a name for the selected label.
Method 6: Enable Gmail Labs
Gmail error 76997 might occur if you have disabled Gmail Labs in your account. So, follow these steps to ensure that Gmail labs are enabled.
- Sign into your Gmail account and tap the ‘Gear’ icon on the upper right side of the window.
- Choose ‘Settings’ and click the ‘Labs’ tab.
- Check the box for ‘Enable Available labs’ and hit the ‘Save’ button to apply changes.
Method 7: Check the Gmail Advanced Settings
- Open Gmail and sign into your account.
- Tap the ‘Settings’ icon and navigate to the ‘Advanced’ tab to check the features.
- If you have enabled a feature before, then select it and tap the ‘Disable’ option next to it.
- Finally, click the ‘Save Changes’ button at the bottom of the page to let the changes take effect.
- Go back to your Gmail account and check whether you can send an email to one or more recipients or not.
Method 8: Clear Browser Cache Data
It is essential to clear the browser cache periodically. Otherwise, the data stored in the browser cache might interrupt your browsing operation. So, clear your browser cache data by the following process.
Open Google Chrome and enter ‘Chrome://settings/clearBrowserData’ in the URL bar. Navigate to the ‘Clear the following items’ section and select all the checkboxes. After that, tap on the ‘Clear Browsing Data’ box to clear all browser cache data.
- Open Firefox, go to ‘Menu’, and choose ‘History.’
- Choose ‘Clear Recent History’ to clear your recent browsing history.
- If the menu bar is not visible, then press ‘Alt’ on your keyboard to see it.
- Then, choose the ‘Time range to clear’ option and click on the drop-down arrow to expand it.
- Select the desired range for which you would like to delete your browsing history.
- Choose ‘Everything’ in order to delete the entire cache.
- At last, tap the ‘Clear Now’ button to delete the selected items.
- Close all Firefox windows and reopen the browser to access your Gmail account.
- Now, compose an email and see whether it can reach the specified recipient or not.
Go to Internet Explorer and click ‘Tools’ from ‘Menu.’ Now click ‘Safety’ and select ‘Delete browsing history’ to see your browsing history till now. Uncheck the box for ‘Preserve Favorites website data,’ ‘Cookies,’ and ‘Temporary Internet files.’ Tap the ‘Delete’ button below to delete the selected items.
Click ‘OK’ on the confirmation popup. Windows will display a confirmation message if it has successfully cleared all cache and cookies.
Alternatively, you can press the ‘Ctrl, Shift’, and Delete’ keys together to delete the entire browsing history directly.
Method 9: Scan your PC for Malicious Software
The Windows Operating System might run malicious code and display Gmail error 76997. In that case, scan your PC for malicious programs like viruses, malware, or spyware.
If your PC does not have an antivirus, anti-malware, or other scanning tools, then install one.
After that, run the tool to scan your PC and remove the malicious software from it. You can use the Microsoft Security software program or Windows Defender for this purpose. Before using them, ensure that they are of the latest version. Otherwise, they might fail to serve your purpose.
Method 10: Disable a Third-party Software
If third-party apps are not compatible with Gmail, then they might conflict through an extension or plugin in your browser. Moreover, the apps might cause Gmail error 76997 when a Windows application is running at startup.
Thus, we would recommend you disable such apps from your PC. To do that, open the Control Panel and choose ‘Programs.’ Click the ‘Uninstall a program link and select the app that seems to be conflicting with Gmail. Then, right-click on it and choose ‘Uninstall’ to remove it temporarily from your PC.
Method 11: Perform a Clean Boot
- Go to the Start menu and enter ‘msconfig’ in the search box to open the System Configuration window.
- Move towards the ‘Services’ tab and check the box for ‘Hide all Microsoft services.’
- Choose the ‘Open Task Manager’ link, select each startup item, and tap the ‘Disable all’ button.
- Click ‘OK’ and exit the Task Manager.
- Restart the system and access your Gmail account.
- Hope, you are not going to encounter the error again.
Method 12: Disable Gmail Labs
Though disabled Gmail labs can cause an error, sometimes some of them might be responsible for Gmail errors as well. To ensure that, open Gmail and log into your account. Click ‘Settings’ on the top right corner and click the ‘Labs’ tab.
Find out the enabled labs and select the ‘Disable’ option to disable them temporarily. Hit the ‘Save Changes’ button to let the changes take effect.
Method 13: Temporarily Disable Antivirus
Some antiviruses seem to conflict with programs and applications. Thus, the antivirus software installed on your PC might not support Gmail and cause Gmail error 76997. So, search for the Control Panel and open it on your PC.
Then, click ‘Programs’ and click the ‘Uninstall a program link under it. Find out the antivirus, right-click on it, and choose ‘Uninstall.’ Click ‘OK’ on the confirmation dialog box and wait for the successful uninstallation of the software.
After receiving a confirmation message, restart your PC and access your Gmail account. Send an email and check whether it is causing the same error or not.
Hope, you have got a clear understanding of how to deal with and stop getting Gmail error 76997.