Java error code 1618 occurs while you are trying to install Java on the system. This error comes with an error message “Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install”.
According to some users, they have faced the error message “ERROR_INSTALL_ALREADY_RUNNING.”
This error doesn’t mean that Java is running in the background. It may happen that there is another installation that is being processed and blocking the installation process to complete.
Possible Causes for Java Installation Error Code 1618
As we mentioned earlier, this error is associated with the Microsoft Installer. But, there are some other factors as well why the installation process is not completed. Take a glance at the points mentioned below:
- The Microsoft Installer service is in error state and is not running properly.
- Corrupted or incomplete installation of Java.
- The antivirus program installed on the system can conflict with the Java app.
- Some third-party apps start the Windows Installer automatically. In that case, it is quite tough to install programs like Java.
Java Install did not Complete Error Code 1618 [5 Easy Hacks]
There are numerous ways that you can perform from the below section to solve this error. Before applying them, you need to restart and then try to launch the Java Installer once again.
If it doesn’t help, then go through the below solutions to fix this error in minutes. Make sure that you have logged in with the admin privilege and the system is connected with a stable and strong internet connection.
Procedure 1: Restart the ‘MSIEXEC.EXE’ Service
Microsoft Installer has the ‘MSIEXEC.EXE’ service that is responsible for installing modules from .msi installer like Java. If this service conflicts with another service or if it is not running properly, then it may trigger this error.
You can solve it easily by resetting this service. In order to do that, you can perform the steps as follows:
- First of all, press the R and Win key both at the same time from the keyboard to open the Run Command box.
- Now, type “taskmgr” in the input field. Then, hit the Enter key to open the Task Manager.
- Afterward, navigate to the Processes tab and then search for the ‘MSIEXEC.EXE’ or ‘MSIEXE.MSI’ service.
- Once you are able to locate the service, right-click on it. Choose the ‘End process’ option from the list.
After doing this, go to the Java Installer and try to install Java once again. If ending the ‘MSIEXEC.EXE’ doesn’t solve the Java error code 1618, then you can restart the service.
How to Restart the Service?
- Open the Run Command box and type “services.msc” in the Run box.
- Click on the OK button to open the list of services.
- Find out the ‘Windows Installer’ service from the list and right-click on it.
- Next, select the Properties option and then tap on the Start button.
Now, you can try to install Java to check if the error is fixed. Else, you can perform the other ways provided below.
Procedure 2: Using Offline Installer
Java Installer downloads the files directly from the internet. But, if the Windows Installer is unable to locate the files, then it might be the reason behind the Java error code 1618.
You can try to use the offline Installer to eradicate this error. The offline Installer comes with all the modules so that you don’t have to download any other file anything while installing Java. You can apply the below steps to use the offline Installer:
- First, remove all the existing instances of the Java program from the system.
- Then, open the official website of Java. Search for the Offline Installer by going to the Windows Offline section. Once you get that, download the Installer file on the computer.
- After completing the downloading process, right-click on the Installer file and choose the ‘Run as administrator’ option.
Once you complete the installation process, restart the system and check if the error notification is solved. Otherwise, check for the Windows update and download the latest version of OS.
Procedure 3: Check for the Windows Update
Microsoft provides frequent updates for Windows Installer to improve its features and remove problems and bugs. But, according to some tech specialists, the Windows Update version KB2918614 can corrupt the Windows Installer.
It may happen because of the registry problems or owing to the overall structure. You can solve it easily by downloading the latest version.
How to Update Windows?
- In the beginning, open the Settings application by using the combination of the S and Windows key.
- Then, type “windows update” in the search bar and open the ‘Windows Update’ category.
- Afterward, tap on the ‘Check for updates’ option. Now, install the updates that are pending.
- After completing the installation process, restart the system and try to run the Installer again.
But, if you are unable to update the latest version due to any compatibility issue, you can revert back the KB2918614 update.
How to Revert Back to the Previous Windows Version?
- Open the ‘Windows Update’ section by using the combination of the S and Windows key.
- Thereafter, tap on the ‘View update history’ option.
- Next, click on the ‘Uninstall updates’ from the next window.
- Now, navigate the ‘Microsoft Windows’ tab and right-click on the problematic update.
- Click on the Uninstall button.
After that, close the window and restart the system. Now, you can try to launch the Java Installer once again. If you still face the same error, perform a clean boot of the system.
Procedure 4: Clean Boot the System
You can also solve this error by performing a clean boot of the system. It will turn the computer On with a minimum requirement of programs and drivers. Here’s how to do this:
- Open the Run Command box and type “msconfig” in the input field. Hit the Enter key to continue.
- Go to the Services tab and then tick the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ box. Now, it will disable all the services that are related to Microsoft.
- Afterward, tap on the ‘Disable all’ button to disable all the third-party services. Tap on the Apply button to save the changes.
- Next, go to the Startup tab and tap on the ‘Open Task Manager’ option. It will open the list of apps/services that are installed on the system.
- Choose all the services one by one and tap on the ‘Disable’ button.
Now, exit from the Task Manager and apply the changes by restarting the service. Now, try to run the Installer. If you still face the same error, then you can disable the antivirus program to get rid of this error.
Procedure 5: Disable the Antivirus Program
The antivirus program may block access to any program that they find suspicious. It is called a false positive and Java may fail to complete the installation process because of this.
Hence, after trying all the above hacks if you are still not able to install Java, then you can disable the Antivirus program.
To do this, go to the right bottom pane of the Taskbar and look for the antivirus program. If you are unable to get that, search for it in the hidden tray of the Taskbar. Right-click on the antivirus program icon and choose Disable option from the list.
So, these are the probable ways to solve this problem. Hopefully, one of the above methods will definitely help you to solve the Java error code 1618 and that too without any hassle.