Due to various reasons, users may find that Origin won’t open on their system while launching the application. Origin is one of the best platforms for playing multiplayer games. The problem may arise if it does not get any response from the client application. Other times, it may open as a minimized application in the system tray but refuse to maximize on the screen. Here are some of the common reasons behind this problem.
- Origin updater could be running in the background. Origin gets updated through this process. If the process is running in the background, the client will not respond.
- Corrupted Cache files can also be responsible. If something affects the cache, you may face this problem.
- Misconfigured temporary files. Origin works properly with the help of some temporary files created by the origin client. Because of these files, the client does not respond if the files get corrupted.
- Client’s core working file has been damaged.
Easy Solutions to Fix the issue of Origin Won’t Open
There are a handful of ways to resolve this problem on your own. Hence, go through the given solutions one by one until your problem is fixed.
Solution 1 : Update Client Application
Check if the client is getting an update by the origin client. If yes, then do not try to run origin. When the update process is going on the client does not respond. To check this, follow the steps below.
- Right-click on the task-bar and choose the task manager to open it.
- Find the Origin application after opening the task manager.
- After getting it, check in the network column if all the internet bandwidth is being taken by it. If yes then the updater is updating the client.
You have to wait until the update process finishes. You will be able to run the client after finishing the update process. If you find the client is not taking bandwidth, follow the next steps.
Solution 2 : Delete Origin Cache Files
Origin creates some cache files to load faster and in those files origin stores data which it uses often. Every time before starting up origin checks if the files are needed. If it needs them, it does not download them again and loads from the cache. You should delete the files to fix the problem. Here are the steps to follow.
- If you see the origin client is running, close it. You have to use the Task manager to do that.
- Press the Windows key and the R key together on your keyboard to open the Run dialogue box. Type “%ProgramData%” and hit the Enter button.
- Now, you have to get into the Origin folder after getting into the ProgramData folder.
- Except for the LocalContent folder, you have to delete all the files and folders from the Origin folder.
- Now, check if this method has fixed the issue by running the Origin folder.
Solution 3 : Delete Temporary Files of Origin
In the AppData folder Origin creates temporary files continuously. Sometimes these files prevent Origin to respond. Once you delete all these files, Origin client will create fresh files. This can resolve your problem. By default these files are hidden. To delete them you have to unhide them.
- First, type ‘folder’ on the task-bar’s search box. Choose the option Show hidden files and folders.
- Choose Show hidden files, folders and drivers that you will find under the Advanced settings and click the OK button.
- Now press the Windows key and the R key on your keyboard to open the Run. Typer “%AppData%” on there and click the OK button.
- After getting into the AppData folder, you have to delete the Origin folders from two folders, that are the Local and the Roaming folder.
- Check if this process has fixed your problem after restarting Origin.
Solution 4 : Reinstall Origin Client
If all of the above processes did not work for you, you can try reinstalling the Origin client. Through this process, your games will not be deleted. Only your Origin client will be deleted. But after this process you have to add your games again. Here are the steps for the reinstallation process.
- Press the Windows key and the R key together to open the Run. Type “control” and hit the Enter button.
- Select the Uninstall a program that you will find under the Programs section.
- Right-click on the Origin client and select Uninstall.
- Now, go to the official website of Origin and download the latest version from there. After downloading it, double-click on it to run the setup. Select install origin then.
- Open Origin and check if this method has fixed your problem.
Finally, you should be able to launch Origin with no issues after implementing one of the solutions provided above. Generally, reinstalling or deleting the cache files should do the trick. Make sure that Origin is always updated with the latest version to prevent this issue from happening in the future.