Microsoft Outlook is one of the finest email application that allows the users free mailing services without any subscription. However, there might be several glitches stuck with the application after a certain period of time which ultimately results in Outlook not responding. This error is one of the most common errors that usually strikes due to the internal server complications or due to the system faults. This error freezes the Outlook service and strikes with an error note on the display that says “Outlook Not Responding”.
So, if you are unable to access your Microsoft Outlook services and in want of a permanent solution to reduce your frustrations, then you have landed on the right page. In this content, we will explore all the probable causes and effective solutions to bring your Outlook back to its earlier position as soon as possible.
Probable Causes for Outlook Not Responding Error:
If your Microsoft Outlook not responding or you are unable to access the service, then there might be several reasons behind this issue. If you are using the outdated version of the Outlook application and not installed the latest updates, then it will prevent you to access the Outlook services on your computer. Sometimes, the Outlook is fully loaded with the external contents which also result in Microsoft Outlook unable to respond. If the previously installed add-in is interfering with the Outlook service or if the mailboxes are too large, then it will result in Outlook error on your computer. An improper setting on the Office programs or another program conflict with the Outlook service is another prime suspect for this error. Corrupter data files or damaged files in Outlook is another cause for the Outlook error.
However, you can easily eliminate this issue by implementing some of the effective hacks that we will discuss in the next segment.
Exclusive Methods to Fix Outlook Not Responding Error on your Computer:
We have arranged a few effective methods in order to eliminate Outlook not responding error in minutes. You can go through either one of these methods or all the methods until you get the error resolved.
Method 1: Exit the Outlook Service via Task Manager
The initial method you have to go through is exit the service or end the task via Task Manager if the Outlook is not responding. Go through the steps below to pursue the method.
- At first, tap the Windows Start button on the left-bottom corner of the window and type Task Manager. You can also press the Atl+Ctrl+Dlt key at the same time on your keyboard to open the action.
- After that, when the Task Manager window opens, drive to the Process tab from the top of the window and select Outlook.exe.
- Now, click on that program and select End Task to continue.
- At last, click on End Process and then close all the windows on your computer.
After successfully exit the Outlook service via Task Manager, restart your computer and launch the application again to see if the error is now resolved. If still, the Outlook service unable to respond as earlier, try another method below.
Method 2: Run Microsoft Outlook on your Desktop in Safe Mode
Safe mode is an in-built feature that allows the MS Outlook to run without the customization files and help you to easily figure out if there any issue. You need to run the program in Safe mode to eliminate the Outlook error. Drive to the steps below in order to settle the error.
- At first, turn on your computer and tap the Windows Start button at the left-bottom corner of the window.
- Now, type Outlook.exe/safe in the search pane and tap the Enter key to open the action.
- On the next window, when you will be prompted with a confirmation message, click on Yes and wait for the window to open.
- After that, click on File option on the right-top corner of the window. Wait until it starts normally.
- Click on Options button at the very top of the screen and click on Add-ins option from the search results.
- After that, select the COM Add-ins option from the left side of the search results and clear all the checkboxes.
- At last, click on OK and then click on Save option to save the changes.
After successfully completing all the above steps, restart your computer and see if the error is now resolved. If still, the Outlook error exists or the above method doesn’t work, try the next solution discussed below.
Method 3: Prevent the Microsoft Outlook Service from Downloading the External Content
During the Outlook error occurs, it is recommended to stop the application service from downloading the external content from the internet or social media. Hence, go through the steps mentioned below to block the Outlook to download the external content.
- At first, turn on your computer and drive to the File from the Windows search results.
- Now, click on Options from the top-left corner of the window and locate the Trust Centre option.
- Click on that option to open the action and click on Automatic Download option on the next screen.
- After that, select the Do not download pictures or other content automatically in HTML option from the very bottom of the list.
- At last, click on OK and then select the Save option to save the changes that you have made.
After you have successfully stopped the Outlook service from downloading the external content, restart your computer and see if the Outlook is now responding as earlier. If the service is still not responding or the above method doesn’t work, try another solution below.
Method 4: Disable the Microsoft Outlook Add-ins Service on your Computer
The Outlook is an essential mailing service but there are several add-ins services that may harm the application to respond normally. You need to disable the Outlook add-ins services in order to eliminate Outlook error. Follow the steps below to pursue the method.
- At first, turn on your computer and launch the MS Outlook service normally as usual.
- After that, drive to the Outlook Options at the very top-left corner of the window.
- Now, select the Add-ins tab from the very bottom of the search result and click on the GO button at the bottom of the screen.
- When a dialog box opens on the next screen, click on OK and then on Save option to save the changes.
After successfully completing all the above steps, restart the computer and relaunch the Outlook application to see if the Outlook not responding issue is resolved. If the Outlook service is still not responding or the above method doesn’t work, try another solution below.
Method 5: Repair the PST Files on your Outlook Application
PST files are those type of file formats that used to store the copies of all the items such as calendar, events, and other items on MS Outlook. But at times, the files go corrupted or damaged due to several reasons which result in Outlook error. Hence, go through the steps below to repair all those files in order to eliminate this error.
- At first, if the Outlook service is turned on, simply sign-out the task manually and exit the window.
- After that, drive to the MS Office folder on your computer and find the Scanpst.exe file from the list.
- Double-click the option to open the action and then locate the Options tab.
- Click on the Options tab and select the Scan option from the list of search results.
- After that, click on the Start button on the next screen and start the PST repair procedure manually.
Wait for the task to finish and then tap on the Repair button at the very bottom of the screen. After successfully completing all those steps, restart the computer and see if the MS Outlook is responding normally as earlier. If still, there is any trouble with the Outlook application, try another solution discussed below.
Method 6: Uninstall and then Reinstall the MS Office on your Computer
If none of the above methods worked, you need to uninstall and then reinstall the MS Office suite in order to settle this error permanently. Reinstall the applications helps to go back in time and allows the Outlook service to respond normally as earlier. Go through the steps below in order to accomplish the task.
Uninstalling the MS Office Suite Via Control Panel
- At first, turn on your computer and tap the Windows Search button on the left-bottom corner of the screen.
- Now, type Control Panel in the search panel and tap the Enter key to open it.
- When the Control Panel window opens, locate the Programs option and click on that.
- On the next screen, click on Programs and Features option and simply expand the window.
- After that, locate the Microsoft Office product from the list of applications results and right-click on that.
- Select the Uninstall option from the list and tap the OK button to complete the process manually.
Reinstalling the MS Office Suite through Web
- After the uninstallation procedure completes, open a web browser and drive to the manufacturer’s website of the MS Office product.
- Now, select the version you want to download and simply click on the Download button.
- On the next screen, click on the Save button at the very bottom of the screen. Furthermore, save the application file in any drive you want to complete the download.
- When the download completes, move to the drive where you saved the application file and double-click on that.
- Select the Extract option and then click on Next option when prompted to do so.
- After that, click on the checkbox to accept all the terms and conditions and click on Next.
- When the installation is completed, click on Finish and simply close all the tabs.
After successfully completing those steps, restart your computer and hope that you are no longer affected with Outlook error on your PC.
We have discussed all the effective methods to resolve Outlook 2016 not responding and Outlook 2010 not responding issue. You can go through either one of these solutions or all the solutions until you get the error fixed. Hope the above article was beneficial enough to assist you on how to fix Microsoft outlook not responding issue. In case, the error still persists or the service is not responding yet, then either you have done something opposite with those steps or there might be some other internal glitches or the internal server errors. In that case, strongly you can take an expert’s help or technical guidance for further assistance. Lastly, we counsel you to drop your feedback below in the comment box to let us know about your experience.