Overwatch lost connection to game server issue is one of the prominent problems which are often encountered by the users while using this application. This issue generally appears when there is a problem with the network connection. Sometimes, this problem also occurs when any security software is installed on your computer. After getting this error message, the users won’t be allowed to play the game. If you are also coming across this problem, then immediately resolve it with the help of this article. In the article, we will share some easy and different procedures that can help you to solve this particular issue on your PC.
Solving Procedures to Combat Overwatch Lost Connection To Game Server Issue:
When you see the Overwatch lost connection to game server issue on your PC, you need to restart the network connection. Sometimes, restarting the network connections can solve several problems that you have found on your computer. So at first, you should disconnect the cable and wait for a few seconds. After doing this, you can again connect the cable and then check if the connection is fixed or not. If not, then you should try under-mentioned procedures. Here, we are going to discuss some of the possible procedures to solve this issue.
Procedure 1 – Update the Network Driver
Sometimes, you can see this error message when the network driver is corrupted or outdated. So, you have to update the driver as early as possible. To update the driver, follow these steps:
- You can right-click on the Windows Home button to open the WinX Menu list.
- In that list, you can see the Device Manager application, click on it.
- From the Device Manager window, you should navigate to the left side menu list and locate the Network Adapters, select it to expand.
- After that, right-click on the network driver to open the list and then select the Update Software Driver option. Now, you can find the update process is initiated.
- Once the process gets finished, you have to restart the machine.
Procedure 2 – Turn Off the Windows Firewall
Sometimes, Windows Defender Firewall can block the Overwatch application from opening. Thus, you might see Overwatch lost connection to the game server error message on the system. So, you have to turn it off on your computer. Go through the below steps to do so:
- First of all, you need to hold the Windows button and press the S button to open the Search Panel.
- In the Search box, type Control Panel and then hit the Enter button.
- Once the Control Panel application opens, double click on the System and Security section.
- In that tab, you can select the Windows Firewall tab.
- After that, you need to click on the Turn Windows Defender Firewall On and Off button which is present at the left side panel.
- On the right-side window, you can mark the ‘Turn off Windows Firewall’ button in both Public network settings and Private network settings section.
- After that, you need to click on the OK option to save it.
Procedure 3 – Uninstall the Security Software
After turning off the Windows Firewall feature if the Overwatch lost connection to game server error message still appears, then you need to simply uninstall the security software from the system. You need to follow the steps here under:
- You have to hold down the Windows button and at the same time press the I key to launch the Settings application.
- Once the Settings window opens, you can go to the Apps and Programs tab.
- In the Apps and Programs section, you will locate the Security software, and then select the Uninstall button to remove it. Now the uninstallation process has begun.
- Once the process gets finished, you have to restart your PC.
Procedure 4 – Reset the Winsock Data
Winsock is a programming interface and supporting utilities in the Windows Operating System that determine how Windows network software should access network services. By recovering the Winsock data, it can help you to resolve some network connectivity problems. To do that, follow the steps:
- You can press the Windows button and S key to open the Search Panel.
- In the Search box, type cmd and then right-click on the search results to open the list.
- From that list, you can select the Run as Administrator option.
- When the Command Prompt window opens, type netsh winsock reset to run this command and then press the Enter key.
- Once it completes, you need to reboot your computer.
Procedure 5 – Flush the DNS
The Overwatch lost connection to game server 2018 problem can be caused by the DNS server. To flush the DNS, you need to follow the below steps:
- Firstly, you need to press the Windows + X keys to open the WinX menu list.
- In that list, you can select the Command Prompt(Admin).
- When the Command Prompt window opens, you can type ipconfig /flushdns and then hit the Enter key.
- Once it is done, you should restart the system.
Procedure 6 – Renew the IP Address
You need to renew the IP address to resolve this issue on the system. Follow these steps cited below:
- At first, you should hold down the Windows Home key and press the R key to open the Run window.
- In the Run box, type cmd and then press the Ctrl +Shift + Enter buttons together to run the Command Prompt as administrator. Now, you can see that a confirmation page will open. Click on the Yes button to open a Command Prompt window.
- Type ipconfig /release in the Command Prompt and then hit the Enter button.
- After executing this, you can again type ipconfig /renew command and then press the Enter button.
- Once this process gets finished, you can restart your PC and then check if the Overwatch works properly without any issue.
Procedure 7 – Turn Off the Proxy Server
The lost connection to game server Overwatch issue appears if you are using a proxy server on your computer. So, you have to turn off this. To disable it, follow the instructions which are mentioned below:
- You need to open the Run box by pressing the Windows button and R key together.
- When the Run box opens, type inetcpl.cpl and then click on the OK button or hit the Enter key.
- In the Internet Properties window, you can take the mouse to the Connections tab, select it.
- From the Connections window, you can click on the Never dial a connection button.
- After that, you can select the LAN settings button.
- In the LAN settings window, mark the Use a proxy server for your LAN button. Then select the OK button to turn it off.
Procedure 8 – Change the DNS Server
By changing the DNS server, you can also solve this issue on your computer. To change it, follow the directions cited below:
- You can hold the Windows button and along with the R key to open the Run dialog box.
- Type Control Panel and then press the Enter key or click on the OK option.
- From the Control Panel window, you need to select the View Network status and tasks option.
- In the Network and Sharing Center window, you can select the Change adapter settings option from the left side menu list.
- After that, you can find the current network that you are using, right-click on it.
- Then, select the Properties option from that list.
- In the Properties window, you can find the Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4), double-click on it to open the Properties window.
- From that window, you can click on the Obtain an IP address automatically button and Use the following DNS server addresses button. After that, you can enter the IP address.
- Once you are done, you can select the OK button to save it.
- After doing these steps, you need to reboot the machine and open the Overwatch.
Procedure 9 – Close Bandwidth Hogging Application
This is an alternative procedure that you can use on the system to fix the Overwatch lost connection game server issue. If you use other applications such as Dropbox, OneDrive, and iCloud that require an Internet connection to upload and download, then Overwatch can lose contact with the game server. So, you have to stop them. To do that, follow the directions:
- You can press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc buttons together to open the Task Manager window.
- When the Task Manager window opens, you can go to the Processes tab.
- From that section, you can find the Bandwidth Hogging application, right-click on it and then click on the End Task option to stop it.
- Once it completes, restart the device and then open the Overwatch.
We hope that the above-mentioned procedures will be sufficient to get rid of the Overwatch lost connection to the game server issue on the system. Go through these steps and do this on your computer to resolve this problem on your computer. In case, if you face any problem, then you need to take help from an expert for better assistance.