Most of the users have encountered the “PS4 update file cannot be used” error message while you are trying to boot the PS4 console or after downloading a new update on their system. As a result, you won’t be able to use it properly.
The full error message says “The update file cannot be used. The update file on your USB device cannot be used. To install an update file from USB, please make sure that you are using the correct update type. Error code CE-34788-0”.
This problem can be caused by a faulty update file. Sometimes, an older version of the Operating System or an outdated version of the PS4 can also result in this problem.
Exceptional Solutions for PS4 Update File Cannot Be Used Error:
Here we are going to discuss three effective solutions to get rid of the “PS4 the update file cannot be used” error message on the device. Follow and perform them as instructed below:
Solution 1 – Perform a Hard Reset
By performing a hard reset, you can simply resolve this error on your system. If you do not know how to do that, then follow these steps given below:
- Press and hold the Power button from the console for a few seconds to turn it off completely.
- Disconnect the cable from the back of the PS4 console. After that, press and hold the Power button from the console to ensure that there is no power. It will clean the cache and drain the PS4 from the current.
- Connect the cable to the back of the PS4 console. Thereafter, switch on the PS4 console.
- Once you are done with these steps, check if the error message still occurs or not.
Solution 2 – Install the Latest Version of the PS4 System Software
If you are using an older version of the PS4 system software, then you may encounter the “PS4 update file cannot be used” error message on the screen.
Therefore, it is necessary to keep the software up to date. Before installing it, you need to back up all the important data on the USB drive. The following steps will help you to do so:
- Insert the USB drive into the USB port of the device.
- In the PS4 function screen, go to the Settings section.
- From the Settings window, navigate to the System and then select the Backup and Restore option.
- Thereafter, click on the Back Up PS4 option from the new window.
- In the Applications saving section, press the X key to add the checkmark
Now the transfer process has started. After completing this process, install the PS4 software.
- Therefore, switch on the system and create a folder whose name is PS4. Launch the PS4 folder and then create another folder with the name Update.
- After that, visit the official website of the PlayStation and look for the latest version of the PS4 software.
- Once you find the update file, download it by clicking on the Download option.
- After downloading the file, save it to the Update folder and the name of the file is PS4update.pup.
- Thereafter, insert the USB drive to the system.
- Switch on the PS4 and then click on the PlayStation option to open the Function screen.
- In the Function screen, navigate to the Settings section and then click on the System Software Update option.
- Now the update process has begun and follow the directions which pop-ups on the screen to finish the process.
Once the process is done, try to restore all the data that you have stored in the USB drive.
Here is How to Restore All the Data Stored in the USB Drive:
- Insert the USB drive into the computer.
- Click on the PlayStation option to launch the Function screen.
- When you are in the Function screen, go to the following folder Settings > Application Saved Data Management > Saved Data on USB Storage Device > Download to System Storage.
- After that, choose the title and then press the X to add the checkmark that you need to copy. Then select the Copy option and now the files will be there.
- After performing these steps, check if the PS4 console works properly without any error message.
Solution 3 – Reinstall the PS4 System Software
After performing the above two solutions, if the “PS4 update file cannot be used” error message still persists, then you can simply remove the PS4 system software and then reinstall it again. Here’s how you can do that:
- Press the Start button and select the Control Panel.
- When you are in the Control Panel window, navigate to the Programs & Features section.
- From that section, look for the PS4 software, select it. Then click on the Uninstall option.
- Once the uninstallation process is complete, restart the computer and then reinstall it.
- So, go to the official website of the PlayStation and then download the latest version of the PS4 software.
- After downloading it, install it properly.
- After installing the PS4 software, reboot the system and then check if the issue has been fixed or not.
We hope that through the application of the above following solutions you will be able to get rid of the “PS4 update file cannot be used” error on the device.