The Quickbooks error 15215 can come up when you attempt to install a payroll and maintenance update. The full message that comes up when this error occurs reads as:
Maintenance Release update error 15215”: QuickBooks could not verify the digital signature for the update file.
The causes of this error can vary. At times, if the digital signature certificate of QuickBooks application has some malfunction, then this issue might crop up.
Incorrect date and time settings or problems with Internet Explorer can also result in this issue.
Moreover, if the Firewall blocks the QuickBooks software, then you might meet with this issue.
How to Resolve the Error 15215 on Quickbooks
Now, we will discuss the methods that will help you to resolve the Quickbooks error 15215 in a simple and easy manner. Follow the fixes mentioned below one by one and find the fix that works best for you.
Configure the Date and Time Correctly
If the time and date of the computer are not set correctly, then you might encounter this issue. So, configure the time and date of the system correctly. To do that, follow the steps below.
- First, press the ‘Windows + I’ keys simultaneously to open the new window having the heading ‘Windows Settings’.
- In that window, locate and choose the ‘Time & language’ option. As soon as you click on that option, a new page within that window will come up.
- In that window, go to the left pane and then choose the ‘Date & time’ option. Now, move to the right panel of that page, then find and click on the ‘Change date and time’ link.
- Now, a new dialog box having the title ‘Change date and time’ will come up. Inside that dialog box, under ‘Date’ and ‘Time’ sections alter them accordingly and then hit the ‘Change’ button.
Set Internet Explorer as Default Browser
If Internet Explorer is not set as a default browser, then there is a probability for you to face this issue. Thus, you can try to set the Internet Explorer application as a default browser to fix this issue. In order to do that, follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, from the desktop, locate the Internet Explorer application icon and double-click on it to launch the same.
- Now, locate and choose the ‘Gear’ icon present at the upper-right edge of the window. When you click on that icon, a drop-down list will come up, in it, select the ‘Internet options’.
- Now, a new dialog box will come up, in it, select the ‘Programs’ tab. Under that tab, below the ‘Default Web Browser’ option choose the ‘Make Default’ button.
- At last, choose the ‘OK’ button to apply the alterations made.
Inspect the Encryption of the Official Quickbooks Website
If the encryption of the official Quickbooks website is not set correctly on the Internet Explorer browser, then you might face this problem. Now, the best answer to resolve this problem is to run the website in high 128-bit encryption. Follow the steps below.
- First, open the Internet Explorer browser and visit the official Quickbooks website.
- Now, press the ‘Alt’ key to display the menu bar and then select the ‘File’ option. After that, from the drop-down menu, locate and select the ‘Properties’ option.
- As soon as you click on that option, a new ‘Properties’ dialog box will come up, in it, within the ‘Connection:’ section look for the number before the text “bit encryption”, which should be more than or equal to 128.
- If the number is less than 128, then the Internet Explorer browser might be corrupted, so either update or reinstall it.
Install the Correct Digital Signature Certificate
If the digital signature certificates are not installed correctly, then also you can encounter the QuickBooks update error 15215. The feasible answer to resolve this issue is to install the right digital signature certificates. Here are the steps to do it.
- First, tap on the ‘Cortana’ logo to open the search section of the Windows OS. Within that search section, type in the text “QBW32.exe” and then from the search output, locate and right-click on the file ‘QBW32.exe’.
- After that, from the popup menu, find and select the ‘Properties’ option. Now, a new ‘Properties’ window will come up, in it, select the ‘Digital Signature’ tab.
- Under that tab, check whether ‘Intuit. Inc’ is chosen within the list of available signatures.
- Next, click on the ‘Details’ button. A new ‘Digital Signature Details’ window will come up, in it, locate and choose the ‘View Certificate’ option.
- Now, a new window having the name ‘View Certificate’ will appear, in it, under the ‘General’ tab, choose the ‘Install Certificate…’ button. Then, click on the ‘Next’ button until the ‘Finish’ button appears.
- Once the ‘Finish’ button appears, then it means that the certificates have been installed correctly. Thus, simply tap on ‘Finish’.
- Finally, close the browser, restart the machine and try to update the QuickBooks application.
Unblock QuickBooks from the Firewall
If the QuickBooks application is blocked by the Firewall, then you might meet with this issue. The correct answer to resolve this glitch is to unblock QuickBooks from the Firewall. The steps to do that are as follows.
- First, tap on the ‘Windows + R’ keys simultaneously to launch a new dialog box having the name ‘Run’.
- Inside that dialog box, type in the text “control” and then hit the ‘OK’ button. As soon as you do that, a new window with the name ‘Control Panel’ will come up, in it, locate and select the ‘System and Security’ option.
- Now, a new page will appear, in it, select the ‘Window Defender Firewall’ option. Another page will come up next, in it, go to the left panel and choose the ‘Advanced settings’ link.
- Now, a new window having the title ‘Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security’ will come up. Inside this window, move to the left panel, and select and right-click on the ‘Inbound Rules’ link.
- Next, from the popup menu, choose the ‘’New Rule’ option. Once you select that option, a window having the name ‘New Inbound Rule Wizard’ will come up, in it, select the ‘Rule type’ section. Under that section, choose the ‘Port’ radio button and then ‘Next’ button.
- On the new page that comes up, select the radio button “Specific local ports”
- In the blank area that comes up input the port as follows
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
- QuickBooks Desktop 2016: 8019, 56726, 55368-55372
- QuickBooks Desktop 2015: 8019, 56725, 55363-55367
- After you have entered all the ports, click on the ‘Next’ button. When the next page appears, click on the radio button ‘Allow the connection’ and then hit the ‘Next’ button.
- Now, put a checkmark in the ‘Domain’, ‘Private’, and ‘Public’ options and then tap on the ‘Next’ button. On the next page that appears, provide a name for this inbound rule and click on ‘Finish’.
- Repeat the steps for the ‘Outbound Rules’ as well.