Multi-user mode on QuickBooks is a special feature that allows the users to share files across the network. QuickBooks Error 6000 77 is a common error that a user faces while using this feature.
The QuickBooks software works with hosts and workstations. A host is an original computer where the company files are stored. The workstations consist of computers accessing this file over a shared network.
However, a user can face the QuickBooks Error 6000 77 when the computer is not able to access this file. It is a very common error in workstations. It covers the whole screen with the pop-up message.
What are the Causes of QuickBooks Error 6000 77?
The most common cause for QuickBooks Error 6000 77 is a restricted access to the company files. The folder containing the files may be protected or restricted for a common user.
Some other causes of this error are –
- Company file located in an external drive. Thus, the files may be out of reach from a shared network.
- Unable to connect to the host computer
- Firewall or security software restriction
- Outdated QuickBooks software
- Unauthorized to access the folder
- Corrupted or damaged files
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000 77?
A quick system restart can easily resolve the QuickBooks Error 6000 77. Here are a few other things that you could try beforehand –
- Run QuickBooks as an Administrator.
- Copy the files to a local drive instead of an external drive.
- Check your internet connection.
- Remove any restrictions from your company files. Make it accessible for the other computers.
You can head over to the following solutions if you’re still facing the QuickBooks Error 6000 77.
Solution 1 – Run QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks offers various tools to fix and repair its software. All these tools are available for free from their official website. Thus, it can automatically detect and fix any software issues in your system.
QuickBooks File Doctor can easily detect corrupted system files and fix them. Just download it from its official website and run it. Follow the instructions and select the folder location of your company files.
It will automatically detect and fix any corrupted files. Similarly, do this for all the computers.
Solution 2 – Recreate (.tlg) and (.nd) Files
The QuickBooks software automatically creates a .tlg and a .nd file for the original company file. These files are used by the software for carrying out the accounting tasks.
However, you can face the QuickBooks Error 6000 77 if these files get corrupted. Therefore, you can try to resolve it by simply recreating it. Follow the given steps to do this.
- Open the File Explorer by pressing the Windows button and the letter ‘E’. Go to C:
- Double click on the Public folder and go to Public Documents.
- You will find the Intuition folder. Simply open it and go to the QuickBooks folder.
- Here, you need to navigate to the Company Files folder. Scroll down and find the .tlg and .nd files for your company files.
- Right-click them one by one and rename the file extension.
- Open the QuickBooks software after you’ve renamed the original files. The software will automatically make a new one.
Solution 3 – Use UNC Path to Access Company Files
A software uses one of the two methods to access a file. One is the mapped way and the other is the UNC method. Generally, a software is configured to use the mapped method of accessing a file.
You can make QuickBooks access the files through a UNC path by following these instructions.
- Close the QuickBooks software if it is open. Right-click on the application from the desktop. Now, press and hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard.
- Without letting go of the Ctrl key, click on Run as Administrator. Do not let go of the key.
- Subsequently, you will get a message saying ‘No company Open’. Release the Ctrl key.
- Click on File from the above menu and choose Open. Here, you can also choose the ‘Restore Company’ option.
- Navigate to your company files and click on Open.
Solution 4 – Configure Firewall Settings
Sometimes, your security software or firewall may restrict other computers from accessing the company files. For security software, you can simply disable the firewall settings. Subsequently, you can grant access when prompted.
You can remove this restriction in Windows firewall by following the steps below.
- Press the Windows logo button. Type ‘firewall’ in the search bar and select Windows Firewall.
- On the left-hand side, click on Advanced Settings. Next, click on Inbound rules and choose Rule Type.
- Click on the text field beside Specific Local ports and enter the following. The port numbers are different for the different software versions of QuickBooks.
- 2016 – 8019, 56726, 55368-55372
- 2017 – 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
- 2018 – 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
- 2019 – There are no port numbers for the latest version of QuickBooks. It is automatically fixed by using the Database Server tool.
You can simply copy and paste these numbers in the text field instead of typing it out.
Solution 5 – Access File from a Different Location
In addition to .tlg and .nd files, QuickBooks uses a special .qbw files as well. This is the main file that is used by the software. Changing the location of this file can help to fix QuickBooks Error 6000 77.
You can do this by following the steps below.
- Create a new folder in any drive you want.
- Go to the old company folder following the steps mentioned in Solution 2.
- Find the .qbw file followed by your company file’s name. Select and right-click on it. Now, cut and paste this file to the new folder.
- Open the QuickBooks software and click on the File menu.
- Choose Open and navigate to this new folder.