Quickbooks error H505 can occur anytime while you are running this application especially when you are trying to open a company file that is not present on your system.
Sometimes, the users encounter this error code when the company file needs an additional configuration. Basically, the users of Windows 7/8/Vista are dealing with this error H505 more often than any other operating system.
The error code H505 comes up with an additional message: “Quickbooks has faced a problem and needs to close. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. ” Let’s take a look at the main and probable causes of this Quickbooks error code H505 and also solutions to terminate this error.
Causes Which Lead to Quickbooks Error H505:
Quickbooks can malfunction if there is any issue with multi-user set up. Users have reported that there are numerous causes behind the occurrence of this error.
- Maybe damaged .ND files are responsible for such a circumstance. These files prohibit the files to get open on the desktop over the network.
- Some important setup programs of Quickbooks may not be active on your PC. So make sure that QBFCMonitor and QuickBooksDBXX services are enabled on your system.
- Hosting configuration may have improper settings. This may also cause the error.
- Improper firewall settings can restrict QuickBooks to open the desired company file.
- Wrong settings of DNS can trouble you to get access to the preferred company file.
You may fix the error yourself when the causes are minor. Let’s see what symptoms you can notice when Quickbooks error code H505 occurs.
Symptoms When Quickbooks Error Code H505 Occurs
As you know the symptoms of error or fault to any system may vary from system to system. We have noticed the same in this case, as well. Users have reported various symptoms when they encounter the error. Let’s take a look at the symptoms.
- Quickbooks keeps crashing at the start-up.
- The laptop crashes.
- The error appears on the screen of the system along with the error code.
- Windows loads very slowly.
- The system keeps crashing and freezing every now and then.
If you have figured out any of these problems on your system, then you should go for the appropriate fixes. Let’s begin with Quickbooks error code H505 fix.
Methods to Get Rid of Quickbooks Error H505:
We have collected some fixes and verified those by trying the fixes on the system. You can surely opt for these listed solutions below. Otherwise, you can also find the solution according to the cause of the problem.
It will be an added bonus if you have figured the probable cause behind the problem.
Fix 1: Create a New Company Folder
This is probably the simplest solution to the error. You can simply create a new company folder in order to eradicate the error. Follow the steps if you are not used to creating a new company folder.
- Create a replacement folder on your hosting system. Now, transfer the original folder and the permission of Windows access to the replacement folder.
- You can contact a professional if you don’t have access.
- Copy the qbw file in the new folder using the multi-user mode.
Check whether you are now able to open the company files.
Fix 2: Configuring the Settings of Network Ports on your System
You can check if everything is OK or not on your system when you are dealing with Quickbooks services. We have divided this solution into 3 parts so that you can take care of each and every network setting, sincerely.
Setting the Firewall
Maybe the in-built defender of Windows, Windows Defender Firewall is prohibiting you to open the file. You should reconfigure the settings of the Windows Defender Firewall to overcome the error.
- Search for Windows Firewall using the search bar of your system. Then click on Windows Firewall from the search results and head towards the Advanced option from the current window.
- Proceed to the left pane and right-click on Outbound Rules. Choose New Rule.
- Click on Ports and opt for Next.
- Click on TCP. You have to enter the following ports for the following versions of Quickbooks:
2018- 8019, 56728, 55378-55382.
2017- 8019, 56727, 55373-55377.
2016- 8019, 56726, 55368-55372.
2015- 8019, 56725, 55363-55367.
- Choose Next and click on “Allow the connection”.
- Again, click on Next to fill in the name field and opt for Finish.
- Now, you have to repeat the same steps as depicted from 1 to 5 to change the inbound rules.
Now, check if the error persists in the multi-user mode of Quickbooks.
Switching the Network Discovery on
Make sure that you enable this option after you have changed the settings of the firewall. If you skip this step, then the error may still remain in your system.
- Open Control Panel of your system using the Start menu. Go to the System and Security section.
- Click on Windows Firewall.
- Opt for “Permit associated app/feature on the Windows Firewall” and click on it.
- Go to the Modification option.
- Choose Network Discovery and click on OK.
Know the Server Name
This step will help us in the next solution. But we will discuss it here as it is related to the network on the system.
- Press and hold Win+R to launch the Run dialog box. Fill it with cmd and hit Enter.
- Type down “config/all” and hit Enter.
- Look for the Host Name in the IP section. You can also find the Server name, just right to the Host Name. Save and proceed to the next solution.
Fix 3: Keep an Eye over Hosting and Services
Make sure that everything is all set with the hosting and services. You should maintain a well-set hosting and services to use Quickbooks on your system.
You need to check the hosting on every workstation. This time you don’t have to deal with the hosting computer or server.
- Launch Quickbooks on each workstation.
- Click on Files and then on Utilities.
- If you can notice multi-user mode in the list, then your computer is surely not hosting that company file.
- If you notice multi-user access on a workstation, then you have to move to the next computer. Don’t do any changes here.
- Opt for the option of “Stop Hosting the Multi-user access”. Repeat the same steps for each computer.
Now, you need to verify that Quickbooks services are active on your system. You can check the service list on your system. Follow the steps to accomplish the task.
- Press and hold Win+R to launch the Run dialog box. Type “services.msc” in the search bar.
- Look for QuickBooksDBXX services in the service window. Double-click on it.
- Proceed to the Recovery tab. If you notice any failure, then start Quickbooks manually.
- Opt for OK to save the changes.
- You need to repeat the same steps from 2 to 4 for QBFCMonitor services.
Now, open Quickbooks on the affected computers. If you are able to open the file, then you have resolved the error. If not, then you have to create QuickbookDBXX with proper admin privileges and permissions to overcome the error.
Fix 4: Edit the Windows Host File
You have already known the server and hostname from the Fix 2. Now, we will use them in this fix to eradicate the Quickbooks error code H505. Write down that host and server information somewhere.
- Quit Quickbooks and go to the Start menu.
- Navigate the following path: “C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc” or “C:\Windows\System64\Drivers\Etc”.
- Once you open the file, fill the IP address and computer name in the file.
- Save the changes in the file.
Restart your Quickbooks in multi-user mode and check if you are able to open the particular company file.
Hopefully, you have found the solution to remove Quickbooks error H505 using the above solutions. If not, then share your trouble with us so that we can reach you as soon as possible.