When you are trying to open a photo and getting “The remote procedure call failed“, then don’t worry. Several users are getting the same error with their Windows device. First of all, you can encounter this error due to the DPI scaling. You can also get this error due to some glitch present in the LocalState folder. Moreover, due to virus attacks, you can also get this error with your device. This article contains more than one fixes which will help you this typical error quickly. So, follow this article and change the situation which you are facing.
Troubleshoot the Remote Procedure Call Failed and did not Execute Error
Here are some instant fixes, using which you can resolve this error. Try to follow the steps whichever looks convenient for you:
Method 1: Use “Open with” to Open Picture
There are some ways to open the photo. In this case, you can use “Open with” to open the photo. In that case, try to follow these steps:
- First of all, you need to right-click on the photo which you want to open. After that, you have to tap on the Properties button.
- Now, go to the general tab, where you have to tap on the Change button.
- Again, you have to choose Windows Photo Viewer as well as you have to choose the OK button.
- In case, if you won’t be able to see the Windows Photo Viewer option, then this method will not work for you. Som, you need to skip this method and move to the other one.
- If you are able to see the Windows photo viewer option, then in the Properties dialog box, you have to tap on the OK button, in order to apply the changes. After that, you have to open the photo again.
Once you complete all of these steps, try to check if you are able to fix this error or not. If not, then focus on the next method.
Method 2: Run the Built-in Windows Store Apps troubleshooter
This method will work for you if you are using Windows 10, 8 & 8.1 because Windows stores apps troubleshooter is only available in Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10. In case, if you are using Windows 7 and lower Windows version, then you have to skip this method. Otherwise, follow these steps:
- First of all, you have to open the Control panel.
- Once done, you need to View by Large icons and tap on the troubleshooting button.
- Now, you have to tap on the View, which is situated in the left pane.
- After that, you have to tap on the left panel.
- Once done, you need to tap on the Windows Store Apps as well as follow the on-screen instructions to complete the procedure.
Method 3: Check for the Other Related Services
Here, related service means Remote Procedure Call (PRC), Remote Procedure Call (PRC) Locator and DCOM Server Process Launcher. In order to check them, to check their settings:
- First of all, on your keyboard, you need to press the Win + R (Windows logo key and R key) to launch the Run dialog box.
- Here you need to type services.msc as well as type the OK button to continue.
- After that, you have to locate the service Remote Procedure Call (RPC). Now, you have to double click on it and be sure about that, the “Startup type” is Automatic and the status is Started.
- After that, you need to find out the service Remote Procedure Call (PRC) locator.
- Now, you need to double click on it and set the “Startup” type to Manual.
After completing all of these steps, you need to check the stats of the error. If it persists, then try to follow the alternative method.
Method 4: Run the System File Checker
In case, if you encounter this error due to a corrupted system file. In order to fix this issue, you have to check and resolve this file. After that, you need to follow these steps:
- First of all, you have to open Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Once done, you have to type sfc /scannow as well as you have to tap on the Enter key.
- Wait until the process completes.
After proceeding all of these steps, you have to check the status of the error.
Method 5: Change the DPI Scaling
You can also perform some Configuration on Windows 7. As per some users, you can also fix this RPC Failed issue by changing the Display heading on their Windows 7 machine. In order to perform this method, try to follow these steps:
- At first, you have to press and hold the Windows logo and the “R” key at the same time.
- Here, you need to type “Control panel” and hit the Enter button in order to open the Control panel.
- After that, you have to sort the icon by its category.
- Once done, you need to choose the Appearance and Personalization
- Now, you need to tap on the Make Text And Other Items Larger Or Smaller from the display button.
- After that, you have to change the size of the text. Here, you will be able to see three options which are Smaller, Medium and Larger. Try to test all of them. Once you change the size of the text, you need to tap on the Apply button.
- Log off now.
- Now, try to log into your user account.
- Again, you need to open your files and test your application.
This time, you will be able to fix this error. In case, if you won’t be able to fix it, then try to follow the next method.
Method 6: Run Antivirus Software
You can also get this error due to malware or virus. In that case, try to run the antivirus which you are using to resolve this issue. After completing a malware scan, you will be able to fix this error or not.
Method 7: Uninstall any Registry Cleaner
In some cases, you can also encounter this typical error due to a registry cleaner which has mistakenly deleted some important files for the photos app. If you have installed it, then you have to uninstall it to fix this error on your own.
Method 8: Delete Contents From LocalState folder
You can also delete contents from the LocalState folder, to fix this error. On that note, tryout these steps:
- First of all, you need to hold down the Windows logo and the letter “E” at the same time to launch the Windows Explorer or the File Explorer
- Type the path in the location path which is Microsoft.Windows.photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe> LocalState.
- After that, you need to choose all files and delete them.
- Now, you have to tap on the Yes button to confirm the deletion of the files in the LocalState folder
- Now, you need to restart your device and Test your application.
This time, you will be able to fix this error without any hassle.
Summing it Up
That’s all for the discussion on “how to resolve the remote procedure call failed error?” If you are aware of any other methods to fix this error, then you can freely inform us. Stay tuned with us to get more guidelines to run your electronic device smoothly.