The Steam disk write error Windows 10 when you are trying to update or install the game on Steam. A number of reasons are responsible for this error to appear on your PC.
Fortunately, there are a few fixes in order to resolve the problem. Apply them in a proper way and get rid of the error hassle-freely.
How to Resolve Steam Disk Write Error Windows 10?
While trying to update or install a Steam game, most of the time console displays an error message which stated below:
- An error has occurred while installing [game title]
- An error has occured while updating [game title]
On encountering this error, the Steam is not able to perform complete updating or installation.
Resolving the problem is not a difficult task and it only requires the user to follow the instructions properly. So, let’s get started.
Note: Though we are listing the solutions for Windows10, you can apply these troubleshooting methods in Windows7 and 8 also.
Fix 1: Delete the 0 KB File
Sometimes the problem might occur due to the 0KB file. Hence, find out the 0KB file and delete them from your device. Here are some of the troubleshooting methods to perform.
- First of all, press the Windows key and R key together in order to launch the Run window. Thereafter, copy the %ProgramFiles(x86)% and paste it in the Run box.
- After that, navigate to the Steam section and then select the Steamapps from the list. Now, click on the Common option.
- Scroll down and you will find the file that is 0KB in size. Press the Delete button to remove them from your device.
When you are done, now try to update or install any games through Steam and check whether the disk write error still persists or not.
Fix 2: Delete Damaged Files in log
According to the users, corrupted or damaged files in Steam files might also be responsible for disk write error. Hence, try out the steps in order to delete the corrupted system files.
- At first, press the Windows key and the R key simultaneously. Then, copy %ProgramFiles(x86)% and paste it on the Run box. Now, hit the Enter button.
- After that, move to the Steam section and then double-click on it in order to open it. Then, click on the ‘content_log’ option.
- Next, scroll down to the bottom of the file and check whether is failed to write error.
- If yes, then follow the name and path of the error. And then delete the damaged system files and move to the next step.
- If no, close the window and process with the next solution.
- Repeat the download or update and check the status of the error message.
Fix 3: Verify the Integrity of Game Files
In case, some of the game installation files get damaged due to some reasons. In such situations, verify the integrity of the gaming files.
To verify, follow the steps mentioned in the section below.
- In the Steam application, move to the Library section. After that, right-click on the game where Steam Disk Write error appears. Then, select the Properties option.
- After that, click on the Local Files section and Verify the Integrity of Game Files.
- You need to wait until the game cache verification gets over.
- When you are done, close the Steam window.
Finally, restart the system and check if the problem is resolved or not. Otherwise, move to the next section.
Fix 4: Run Flushconfig
You can resolve Steam update disk write error simply by running the flushconfig. By running this, you can clear the caches present in the Download folder.
To perform the steps, walk through the steps mentioned under section.
- At the beginning of the process, exit from the Steam completely. After that, launch the Run window by pressing the Windows+ R key.
- Thereafter, copy steam://flushconfig and paste it on the Run window. Next, click on the OK button in order to confirm the flush.
- Finally, reboot the computer.
- Again, launch the Run window. Then, copy and paste %ProgramFiles(x86)% in the Run box. Then, hit the Enter button.
- Later, double-click on the Steam folder and then locate the Steam.exe in order to open the Steam on your device.
Finally, update or download the game again and then check whether the problem still persists or not.
Fix 5: Set Steam Folder Security to Full Control
You might encounter Steam disk write error Windows 10 when you don’t have permission to run the Steam. Therefore, to access it the user’s account should have full control.
- At first, exit from the Steam completely. After that, launch the Run dialog box. Again, copy %ProgramFiles(x86)% and paste it on the Run window. Now, hit the Enter button.
- After that, find out the Steam and right-click on it. Then, select Properties from the drop-down list.
- There you will find Read-only (Only applies to files in folder) option along with a box. Uncheck the box. After that, click on the Security tab and then Edit it.
- Now, click on the user account under the Group or user names. Next, check the box corresponding to the Full Control.
- Thereafter, click on the Apply button and then select the OK button. Further, exit from the window and type Steam on the search bar. Now, right-click on it and select the Run as administrator.
With the help of these steps, you can easily resolve the problem.
Fix 6: Turn Off the Antivirus Program
Sometimes, the antivirus program might be the main culprit for this annoying situation. Hence, you need to turn off the antivirus program temporarily. In case you frequently encounter the same issue, it is confirmed that the problem might appear due to the antivirus software.
To disable the antivirus program, go through the steps mentioned in the section below.
- First of all, launch the antivirus software on your device and then move to the Settings section.
- Now, locate Disable the program under the Settings section. After successfully turning off the antivirus, try to update or install the game and then, you will no longer get this annoying situation.
Hopefully, you find the above information helpful.