While trying to open or play a game on the Steam application, you might encounter that the Steam is not opening on your computer and this can lead to a very frustrating situation Thus, it can prevent you from playing any game on Steam.
This problem mainly arises, if the steam application is corrupted or damaged. No matter whatever the causes are, the error is required to be fixed at the earliest.
Why Steam Not Opening Issue Occurs?
The Steam not opening problem can be caused due to several reasons that follow as:
- Poor internet connection.
- An outdated version of the Steam application
- Third-party security software and firewall
- An older version of the Operating System and device drivers.
- Unwanted third-party application.
How to Fix Steam Not Opening Issue On Windows 10?
Here, we are going to provide some of the possible methods that you can implement to resolve the problem of the “Steam is not opening” issue on Windows 10 system.
One of the following methods should help you to overcome this situation. So, perform and implement exactly as instructed below:
Method 1: Close all Steam Related Processes
When you find the Steam is not launching, you might simply close all the Steam related processes from the Task Manager. To do that follow these steps:
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc buttons together to launch the Task Manager.
- When you are in the Task Manager window, look for the Steam Client Bootstrapper processes under the Processes tab.
- Select it and then click on the End Task option to close it.
Method 2: Launch the Steam as an Administrator
If the Steam not opening on Windows 10 system, you can try to launch it as an administrator by following these directions:
- Right-click on the Steam application to the menu list.
- Select the Run as administrator option. Now the Steam will open as an administrator.
Method 3: Disable the Windows Defender Firewall
Sometimes, the Windows Defender Firewall can also prevent Steam from opening. So, you should turn it off by following these steps:
- Press the Windows button and select the Control Panel option.
- From the Control Panel window, double-click on the Windows Firewall section.
- Click on the Turn Windows Defender Firewall On and Off option on the left panel.
- On the right window, mark on the box next to the Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall option from both Public Network Settings and Private Network Settings sections.
- Click on the Save Changes option to save it.
Method 4: Uninstall the Third-Party Security Software
The third-party security software can also cause this issue on Windows 10 system. Therefore, you should remove it at the earliest. To remove it follow these instructions:
- Click on the Start icon and choose the Control Panel.
- Go to the Programs & Features section.
- Scroll down the page until you find the Third-party security software, select it.
- After that, click on the Uninstall option to remove it.
- Once the uninstallation process is done, restart your device and then try to open the Steam.
Method 5: Repair the Steam Application
Another effective method in which you can easily get rid of the Steam not opening problem on Windows 10 device is to repair the Steam application. Here are some steps that you can perform:
- Go to Method 4 and follow the first two steps.
- In the Programs & Features window, locate the Steam and select it.
- After that, click on the Repair option.
- Once the repair process is done, restart the system and then check if the problem is solved or not.
Method 6: Reinstall the Steam Software
A corrupted Steam application can also cause this issue on the device. So, you should remove the Steam and reinstall it again. To know more about it, follow these steps given below:
- Press the Start button + I key together to launch the Settings window.
- Navigate to the Apps section and select the Apps & Features tab on the left panel.
- Scroll down the page and find the Steam application, select it. After that, click on the Uninstall option.
- Once it is removed, reboot your Windows 10 system and then reinstall it again.
- Visit the official website and download the latest version of the Steam application.
- After downloading this file, install it correctly.
- Once the installation process is finished, restart the Windows 10 computer and then try to launch the Steam to check if the problem still appears or not.
Method 7: Remove Steam Cache Data
In order to solve the Steam not opening issue on Windows 10, remove the Steam cache data from the system. Hence, go through these steps:
- Press Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Type steam://flushconfig and then press the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- On the Steam -Clear Download Cache section, click on the OK option.
- This will take a few seconds to complete and then reboot the PC.
Method 8: Update the Operating System
If the Steam is not compatible with the Operating System then you can come across this problem on your PC as well. So, you should update it. Hence, perform the following steps:
- Right-click on the Start icon and select the Settings option.
- Navigate to the Update & Security section and select the Update tab.
- Click on the Check for updates option to check whether the updates are available or not.
- If you find any updates, then click on the Update option to begin the update process.
- After completing the update process, check if the issue should be eliminated or not.
How to Fix Steam Not Opening On Mac OS?
If you are Mac users or Steam not opening on Mac OS, then follow the undermentioned instructions.
Here are detailed methods and steps to fix this issue on Mac OS. Let’s take a look into the steps given below:
Method 1: Check the Internet Connection
At first, check the internet connection. Due to the poor internet connection, it might fail to open. So, you need to check if the internet is working properly or not. If not, then disconnect the internet connection and then wait for a few seconds and reconnect it.
Method 2: Uninstall the Steam Software and Reinstall It Again
Faulty or damaged Steam software can definitely result in the Steam not launching issue on Mac OS. Therefore, you should reinstall it by following these steps as mentioned below:
- On the Dock, click on the Finder icon to open Finder software.
- From the Finder window, select the Applications tab.
- Locate the Steam software, right-click on it.
- Afterward, select the Move to Trash option from that menu list.
- Then, right-click on the Trash icon and choose the Empty Trash option.
- Once the uninstallation process is done, restart your Mac device and then reinstall it.
- So, go to the official website and download the latest version of the Steam application.
- Once the file is downloaded, install it properly.
- After installing it, reboot the system and then try to open the Steam application to check if it works properly or not.
Method 3: Update the Steam Software
Updating Steam software is an easy task to eradicate this issue on your Mac OS. Therefore, it is important to keep the software up to date. Go through these steps:
- Visit the Official website of the Steam and look for the latest version of the Steam application.
- After finding it, download it by clicking on the Download button and then install it.
- Once the installation process is completed, restart the Mac OS and check if the glitch is resolved or not.
Method 4: Update the Mac OS
To stop this problem from occurring, it is necessary to keep the Mac OS up to date. To update it follow these steps hereunder:
- Click on the Apple icon which is located at the top right corner and then choose the System Preferences from the menu list.
- When you are in the System Preferences window, navigate to the Software Update section and check if any updates are available or not.
- If yes, then you will see the Update option, click on it.
- Once the task gets completed, the Mac system will automatically restart.
Method 5: Uninstall the Security Software
Due to the third-party security software can appear the “Steam not opening” issue on Mac OS. Therefore, you should remove it at the earliest. The following steps will help you:
- Go to the Finder window and select the Applications tab on the left panel.
- From the Finder window, find the Third-Party security software, right-click on it and then choose the Move to Trash button.
- After that, right-click on the Trash icon and select the Empty Trash option.