Microsoft introduced Windows 10 to rectify certain errors that users often encountered in Windows 8 and older versions. But, Windows 10 is not entirely free from technical issues, specifically while starting a few applications.
You can encounter a particular error message while trying to launch some browsers and software. This message states ‘The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application’.
This error message is mostly associated with Internet browsers. However, you can face this issue with most applications on your Windows 10 device. Thankfully, there are some simple tricks to get rid of this issue promptly.
Factors Responsible for Application Error 0xc0000005
Before we get into the solution, let’s have a look at some of the factors that can possibly trigger this error. You can face this issue for the following reasons:
- Corrupted files or defect in the Windows Registry
- Faulty installation of the drivers
- Interference from third-party antivirus applications
- Corruption in the DLL (Dynamic Link Library)
- Corrupted Operating System due to a malware or virus
Steps to Troubleshoot Error 0xc0000005
To successfully fix “the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)” message, you need to follow these simple solutions:
Scan and Remove Malware
The presence of malware is one of the major factors behind causing this issue. So, to remove this error, you must scan for malware applications in your system and flush them out accordingly.
You can use the built-in Windows Defender program to scan for malware. Alternatively, you can also use a third-party antivirus program.
To scan for malware using Windows Defender you can follow these instructions:
- First, type ‘virus’ in the ‘Search’ box and then choose the ‘Virus and threat protection’ option.
- Thereafter, choose the ‘Advanced Scan’ option. From there, tap on the ‘Full Scan’ option.
- Your system will initiate the scanning process once you choose the ‘Scan Now’ option. Wait for some time until the scan is complete.
Finally, if the Defender program identifies viruses and malware applications, delete them immediately.
Fix Defective Drivers
Drivers are crucial components that enable your computer to communicate with the hardware. Any error or defect in the drivers can give rise to error 0xc0000005. To resolve technical glitches with the drivers in your system, you must follow these instructions carefully:
First, press the ‘Windows’ button and the ‘X’ key together to launch the ‘Device Manager’.
Now, look for any hardware that has a yellow mark beside it. In case you find any such driver, right-click on it and choose the ‘Update Driver Software’ option.
Next, choose the ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ option. This will allow your Operating System to look for an updated version of driver software.
Note: If you have manually downloaded the software choose ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ option to install it.
In the end, check whether the error in question persists or not. If the issue still appears while starting an application, you can move to the next solution.
Initiate Windows Firewall
Sometimes, identifying and removing malware and virus from your device is not enough. You need to protect your device from future malware attacks.
In this regard, you can use Windows Firewall to protect your computer. This is how you can activate the Windows Firewall:
- Click on the ‘Start’ button and launch the Control Panel.
- After this, locate the ‘Windows Firewall’ option from the list and click on it. Thereafter, click on the ‘Turn Windows Firewall On or Off’.
- Now, under both Private and Public network settings, click on ‘Turn On Windows Firewall’. Thereafter, click on the OK button.
With these steps, you can easily activate the Windows Firewall. However, you can also go through other solutions to resolve the issue in question.
Restore Through Windows Recovery
Another effective way to remove this error is to restore your device to a point before it appeared. To restore the device, you can make use of the Windows Recovery option. Now, follow these instructions for successfully restoring your device:
- At first, click on the ‘Start’ button and then choose the ‘Control Panel’.
- Now, locate and choose the ‘Recovery’ option.
- Thereafter, choose the ‘Open System Restore’ and follow the steps guided by the Windows system prompts.
Once you have performed all the steps carefully, check whether the issue still persists. If the error reappears, you can proceed to the next solution.
Run the System File Checker
One of the most potent factors that lead to this error is corrupted system files. To resolve any corruption, damage or defects in these files, you can use the System File Checker. In order to run the System File Checker here’s what you need to do:
- First, tap on the ‘Start’ option and type ‘command prompt’ in the search bar.
- Now, from the list of options locate ‘Command Prompt’ and right-click on it. Thereafter, choose the ‘Run as administrator’ option to allow Command Prompt to operate with Administrative privileges.
- Once inside the Command Prompt window, type ‘sfc/scannow’ and press the Enter button. With this, the System File Checker will initiate the scanning process.
Note: You might have to wait for as long as 15 minutes to let the scanning process end.
- How to Solve the TrustedInstaller.exe High CPU?
- Fix Service Host Delivery Optimization High Disk or CPU Usage Problem With Effective Hacks
Thereafter, restart your computer and check whether the application error has been resolved.