Unable to initialize steam API is one of the common errors that most of the users complain about. Soon after you launch any game on Steam, this error message appears on your screen. When this error message pops up, you will not be able to launch any game. Generally, this error message can be found on your computers, Steam clients or settings.
So, if you are the one who is facing this issue then, this page will be helpful for you. Fortunately, some solutions are there to fix this error. But before we discuss the solutions, you must be aware of the correct reason for this issue. To know about the causes, check out the next section.
Reasons for Nier Automata Unable To Initialize Steam API:
You can find several reasons when you will be unable to initialize steam API. Here, we are highlighting all of those issues for your better understanding.
- Your Firewall could be one of the reasons that can cause this error. So, if your firewall will block the game’s executable from connecting to the Internet then this error might occur.
- Another reason could be your antivirus software. Each antivirus has an in-built firewall. When these inbuilt firewall block .exe file from running you will be unable to initialize steam API.
- Steam beta clients are another reason that can cause this issue.
Solutions You Can Apply to Fix Unable to Initialize Steam API:
Here we are providing some best methods through which you can fix Nier automata unable to initialize steam API.
1. Add an Exception for the Game’s Executable
If your firewall will block the game’s executable from connecting to the internet and Unable to initialize steam API error message pops up on your screen then, you can follow these below- mentioned steps.
- In the Cortana search box on Windows 10, type Control and open the Control Panel.
- Go to the upper right corner of the Control Panel page and set View by Large Icons.
- Search for Windows Defender Firewall and tap on it.
- From the left side list of options, click on Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall.
- Search the problematic game’s Entry from the list and give a tick mark on the boxes next to both Private and Public networks.
- Reboot your computer by clicking on the OK option.
- Check the issue if the issue gets resolved or not.
2. Withdraw All Beta Programs
Due to the Steam Beta client, you could find this error message on your screen. Using this program has benefits but some of its features have bugs. That is why many users opt-out of all beta programs in steam and try to fix this issue correctly. Therefore, follow these steps to remove these programs.
- First, double-click on Steam PC client to open it or you can search it in the start menu.
- Then, go to the top and click Steam>Settings.
- Navigate to the Account tab and click the Change button under the Beta participation section.
- Hit the dropdown menu under the Beta participation section and select NONE-Opt out of all beta programs option and then click on OK.
- Now, open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc at the same time.
- Select all the Steam-related processes in Task Manager one by one and right-click on it.
- Select End task from the drop-down to end the programs.
- Confirm the operation by clicking the Yes option.
- Follow the instructions to reopen the Steam client and launch the game from the Library tab.
- Finally, check if this can resolve the problem.
3. Run Steam.exe Client as an Administrator
Due to the lack of required privileges, Nier automata unable to initialize steam API. Better you try these steps and fix this issue.
- Search the Steam executable file and right-click on it.
- Now right-click on the Properties tab.
- Go to the Compatibility tab and give a tick mark next to the option Run this program as an administrator.
- Click OK and confirm all the admin privileges
- Double-click on the Steam icon to open it and check the issue.
4. Backup Steam Library Folders
Reinstalling Steam can be another great solution to this problem. So try this method and fix this problem instantly.
- Click on the Start menu and type Steam in the search box.
- Select Steam from the search result.
- Go to the top-right corner of the Window and click on the Steam button.
- Select Settings>Go to the Downloads tab>hit Steam Library Folders.
- Here, you can see the default folder “C >> Program Files (x86) >> Steam >> steamapps” that you have to back up.
- Click on any folder or the File Explorer to go to the location mentioned in the last step.
- Check the right pane and click on This PC or My Computer.
- Open the above-mentioned location and locate the Steamapps folder.
- Once you get the folder, right-click on it and select Copy.
- Go to any location of your choice on your computer and right-click>Click Paste. It should be outside the Steam folder.
- Repeat the same process and uninstall all library folders.
- You can also Re-add all the folders again
5. Uninstall and Reinstall Steam
After backing up the steam folders, uninstall the steam and reinstall it back again. Therefore,
- First, log in to your account with admin privileges.
- Note down the proper locations of the library folders.
- Click on the Start menu and open the Control Panel option.
- Go to the top right corner and choose “View as: Category”>Uninstall a Program under the Programs section.
- Find the Steam entry and click on it>Click Uninstall button>Choose the Yes option to confirm the process.
- Once you have completed the uninstallation process restart your computer and download and install fresh steam by following the on-screen instructions.
6. Disable Auto-Containment on Comodo
Comodo is an antivirus program that can block many innocent programs. Sometimes disabling this program can solve this problem. If none of the above-mentioned methods fix this issue or if you are using this program on your computer then, try out this method.
- Locate the Comodo Internet Security on your desktop or taskbar on your home screen
- Next, double-click on its icon to open it.
- Click Settings from the home screen and go to the Containment tab.
- Click Auto-Containment sub-section under Containment tab.
- Uncheck the box next to “Enable Auto-Containment” in order to disable this program.
- Confirm and save all the changes and relaunch the game.
- Check if it can eliminate unable to initialize steam API error.
You can try different repair tools as well to fix this problem. These tools will scan your system and find out all the corrupted and missing files. Not only these will replace the corrupted files as well. These tools are easy to install and help to increase the performance of your PC. So, you can easily rely on these tools to fix any types of issues.