When you connect a USB device, your computer may fail to recognize it. Therefore, your computer displays an error message, ‘USB device not recognized.’ This inconvenience occurs if the USB driver loaded on your PC becomes corrupted or unstable. When you face this problem, you cannot find the USB drive in the File Explorer. As a result, you cannot access the files stored on your device. Hence, it is of utmost importance to fix this issue as soon as possible.
Factors Causing USB Device Not Recognized
We are jotting down the probable causes of this issue.
- If you plug in too many devices to your PC, then they may conflict with each other and cause this issue.
- The problem can occur if your PC motherboard lacks updated drivers.
- Your external drive may enter selective suspend and make your USB device unrecognizable.
- You may encounter this issue if your Windows does not have the important updates.
- Software or hardware issues of your system may also have an association with this issue.
- Your computer cannot recognize the USB device if you are connecting it to a faulty USB port or cheap USB hub.
Alternative Ways To Fix Why Your Computer Fails To Recognize The USB Device
Follow the methods mentioned below and select the one which meets your requirement.
Restart Your PC
Sometimes a simple reboot of your system helps to fix these issues. So try out this solution before switching to the others.
- Unplug your USB device from your computer and wait for few minutes.
- Restart your system and connect the USB device to a different USB port.
- Now check whether your computer can recognize the USB device. If not, then move on to the next method.
Try A Different Computer
- Plug in your USB device to another computer.
- If the second computer shows the same error message, then it seems that your USB device is faulty.
Disconnect Other USB Devices
If you have connected too many devices to your PC, then remove them. Only keep that specified USB device connected. Now if the computer recognizes the device, then it means that it was the actual reason for this issue.
Change The Power Management Settings For The USB Root Hub
- Press Windows key and ‘R’ at the same time to open the ‘Run’ box.
- Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the ‘Run’ box and press ‘Enter.’
- Expand the ‘Universal Serial Bus Controllers,’ right-click on the ‘USB Root Hub’ option and select ‘Properties.’
- Click on ‘Power Management’ tab, uncheck the box for ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device and press ‘OK.’
If your computer has more than one USB root hub, then repeat the same steps for each one of them. After that, reconnect the USB device to your PC and check the result.
Update The USB Port Driver
There are two ways of updating the USB port driver:
- Open Device Manager from the Start menu.
- Expand ‘Network Adapters’ and select your device.
- Right-click on it and select ‘Update Driver.
buy xifaxan online buy xifaxan online no prescription
- Now, click on ‘Search automatically for the updated driver software’ option.
- Windows 10 starts searching for an updated driver and if it finds such a compatible driver, then install it on your PC.
- Open Device Manager and expand ‘Network Adapters.’
- Right-click on the device which requires an updated driver and then, you need to select ‘Update Driver.’
- Browse your computer for the driver software and click ‘OK.’
- Check the box of ‘Include subfolders’ and click ‘Next.’
- When you restart your PC, you will find that your device has updated drivers.
Change The Power Supply Settings
- Go to Control Panel, click ‘Hardware and Sounds’ and select ‘Power Options.’
- Click on the option, ‘Choose what the power button does’ and change the settings that are currently available.
- Uncheck the option, ‘Turn on fast startup’ and save the changes.
- Restart your computer and plug in back the USB device to ensure that it is working correctly.
Change The USB Selective Suspend Settings
- Open the Control Panel and click on ‘Power Options.’
- Choose ‘Change plan settings’ and select ‘Change advanced power settings.’
- Click ‘USB selective suspend settings’ under ‘USB settings.’
- Turn off the ‘On Battery’ and ‘Plugged in’ settings and click ‘OK’ to apply the changes.
Install The Latest Window Updates
- Open Windows Update from the search box and check for updates.
- After the computer finishes scanning your Windows, select ‘Review optional updates.’
- Then click on ‘Install updates’ and if the computer displays a license agreement, then accept it.
- Now act according to the onscreen instructions to download and install the updates.
Update Generic USB Hub
- Open Device Manager and select ‘Generic USB Hub’ under ‘Universal Serial Bus Controllers.’
- Now select ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ and check the box fox ‘include subfolders.’
- Pick up a device driver from the list of drivers installed on your computer.
- Click on the ‘Next’ button and close the Window after the installation is finished.
Uninstall USB Devices
If none of the above solutions are capable of fixing this issue, then try out this method.
- Go to Device manager and select ‘USB Serial Bus Controllers.’
- Right-click on each USB device and select ‘Uninstall.’
- Do not uninstall a device that is already in use.
- Uninstall the unknown devices and items with an exclamation mark.
- Restart your computer to reinstall the devices automatically on your system.
Uninstall Hidden Devices
- Open Device Manager, click on ‘View’ tab and select ‘Show hidden devices.’
- If you see that any device is greyed out or listed as ‘Unknown device,’ then right-click on it and select ‘Uninstall.’
Uninstall The USB Host Controller
- Right-click on the ‘Computer’ icon on your desktop and select ‘Properties.’
- Now click ‘Device manager’ and choose ‘Universal Serial Bus Controllers.’
- Right-click on the host controller that has a yellow symbol and select ‘Uninstall.’
- Restart your PC, connect the specific USB device and check whether your computer can recognize it or not.
This article has discussed the best ways to fix the ‘USB device not recognized’ error. So use the appropriate solution to fix this issue in no time.