Windows Operating System is one of the leading Operating Systems used by several users all over the globe. It holds its position due to its exceptional features, but it is also not free from occasional glitches. Windows 10 USB not working is one of those common bugs faced by a lot of users. Especially while upgrading the system to the latest version or after installing the Windows 10 update, users encounter that the USB ports are not working. It is an annoying issue as it prevents you to use external drivers and devices as well as it also prevents you to transfer any date using USB devices.
Most of the time, this issue is related to the drivers of the computer. It is not a hardware problem, because it’s quite impossible that all of the USB ports not responding at the same time. The computer comes with several USB ports. Hence, there is no way that all of the USB ports are faulty. Especially when they were running fine a few times ago. Hence, this issue is surely related to the USB devices itself or to the drivers.
If you are also in the same condition, then nothing to be worried about this. Here in this guide, we are going to provide some amazing tips and tricks to fix the USB port not working Windows 10 issue. Hence, you are advised to go through the article given below.
Know the Symptoms Related to the Windows 10 USB not Working Issue:
When the USB ports not working Windows 10, then the users of the Windows 10 Operating System had to face several problems. Have a look at the below points to know the symptoms that can help you to detect this issue.
1st: USB keyboard and mouse is not working.
2nd: Showing the Error Code 43 with the message ‘USB not working Windows 10.’
3rd: USB not working while plugging in.
4th: USB not working Lenovo, Dell, Samsung, and Toshiba.
5th: USB not showing up, detected, appearing, and recognized.
6th: USB not opening, responding.
7th: USB not transferring
9th: USB is not available.
10th: USB not accessible, opening files, initialized.
Easy Hacks to Fix Windows 10 USB Not Working Issue:
There are a lot of ways to fix this troublesome issue. But before going to implement the solutions given below, you should first try to run the in-built Fixit tool of Microsoft to check if it can solve the issue. After running this, you need to stick to the methods given below:
Solution 1: Check the Power Supply
At first, you need to check the power supply of the system. According to some users, they solved this issue by checking the power cable that is connected with the system. The power supply is the fundamental thing that gives power to the USB ports. Hence, you need to make sure that the USB ports are plugged in a proper way. Follow the steps given below to confirm that there is no problem with the power supply:
1. First, unplug the power cable of the laptop from the power outlet.
2. Then, remove the USB ports restart the laptop.
3. Next, reconnect the USB cables with the system.
4. After that, you should reconnect the power supply to your laptop.
Now, you need to check whether the Windows 10 USB issues are resolved or not. If the issue persists, then move on to the solutions given below.
Solution 2: Using the Power Management Settings
There are few settings on the system that often turn the USB off to save the power as well as for several other causes. Hence, it is necessary to verify those settings and also you need to confirm that this issue is not happening for any wrong settings. To access this setting, you need to go to the Device Manager. Hence, to check the USB device settings of the system, perform the steps mentioned below:
1. At first, you have to press the R and Windows key both at the same time from the keyboard to launch the Run Command box.
2. Then, type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the Run dialog box.
3. Hit Enter key from the keyboard or if you prefer you can also press the Ok button.
4. On the new window, find the Universal Serial Bus controllers and click twice on it.
5. Then, you have to find the USB Root Hub and double click on it. If you see two USB Root Hubs then click on the first one.
6. Navigate to the Power Management tab.
7. Untick the box that prompts ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.’
8. Tap on the Ok button.
9. Repeat the same steps like above for all the USB Root Hubs that you will see in the list of the Device Manager.
10. Now, restart the system to save the changes.
After performing the above steps, you need to insert a USB drive to check whether the USB ports are running properly or not. If you see that the Windows 10 USB not working issue still persists, then follow the solutions given below.
Solution 3: Unplug and Battery of the Laptop and Other Things
Unplug all the things that are connected with the device using the USB ports. You also need to remove the battery for a few times to check if it can solve the Windows 10 USB issues. To perform this, you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
1. At first, unplug the devices that are connected to the computer.
2. Then, turn the system off. If you are using a laptop, then remove the battery of the laptop. Just turn the computer off if you are not using a laptop.
3. Now, you have to wait for at least 8-10 minutes.
4. After that, re plug the battery and turn the system on. For desktop, just turn on the computer.
Now, try to insert a USB device to check whether the issue still occurs or not. If you still face the same issue, then you have to move on the methods stated below.
Solution 4: Disable the Fast Boot Feature
Some users fix the Windows 10 USB not working issue by turning off the fast boot feature from their system. This is because of the fast boot, that boots the system within a short span of time. It doesn’t get too much time to install in a proper way. Hence, turn this feature off to check if it can solve the issue. To perform this, you need to follow the steps given below:
1. Launch the Run Command box by pressing the R and Windows key both at the same time.
2. Then, type ‘powercfg.cpl’ in the Run Dialog box and hit the Enter to run the command.
3. Look at the left side of the new window. You will see the ‘Choose what the power buttons do’ option. Tap on it.
4. Now, you have to click on the ‘Select Change settings that are currently unavailable’ option.
5. Then, you have to untick the box that prompts ‘Turn on fast startup (recommended).’ You can find this option under the Shutdown settings section.
6. Tap on the ‘Save Settings’ option.
7. Now, restart the system to save the changes.
After that, you have to restart the PC to check whether the problem is solved or not. If the problem is not resolved, then you need to move on to the next solutions given below.
Solution 5: Using Windows Troubleshooter
By using the in-built Windows troubleshooter, you can also fix the Windows 10 USB not working issue. It is a great way to handle this type of errors. It can detect as well as can fix the issue automatically. To use this, you need to perform the steps given below:
1. At first, you have to insert the device.
2. Then, hit the R and Windows key to open the Run Dialog box.
3. Type ‘control.exe /name Microsoft.Troubleshooting’ in the Run box. Click on the Ok button.
4. Select the option ‘Configure a device.’ You can find this option by going to the Hardware and Sound tab.
5. Now, tap on the option ‘Advanced.’ Tick the box that appears ‘Apply repairs automatically.’
6. Then, you have to click on the ‘Next’ button.
After that, you have to follow the on-screen directions. Now, the Windows will start to find problems and then fix them by itself. If Windows does not find any issue, then it’s a good sign as the Windows will fix the problem that was the reason behind the error. When it is done, then you need to check that the error still occurs or not. If you still face the same error, then move on to the solutions given below.
Solution 6: Delete the USB Entries
Delete the damaged USB entries to check if this is the problem behind the Windows 10 USB not working issue. After deleting the damaged or all the USB entries, Windows will start to try to identify the devices that might fix the issue. To perform this, you need to follow the steps given below:
1. At first, hit the R and Windows key from the keyboard to open the Run Command box.
2. Then, you have to type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the Run box and hit the Enter key from the keyboard to run the command.
3. Find the ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’ option from the new window and click twice on it.
4. Now, you have to find the USB devices that are showing a yellow warning sign.
5. Then, right-click on the devices which are showing the warning sign.
6. Tap on the Uninstall option. Then, follow the on-screen directions.
7. Then, you have to find the USB entries. If you see any USB entries, then right-click on it.
8. Choose the option ‘Uninstall’ from the list. Now, you have to follow the on-screen directions.
9. After that, restart the system to save the changes.
Now, check if the USB ports not working Windows 10 issue still occurs or not. If you face the same issue, then go to the solutions given below.
Solution 7: Reinstall the Device Drivers
Now, you should try to reinstall the drivers of the system to check if it can fix the Windows 10 USB not working issue. To perform this, you need to go through the steps given below:
1. Download the newest drivers for the USB device by visiting the official website of Microsoft. Then, you have to install it. If you do not find any new drivers for your device, then go to the further steps stated below.
2. First, open the Device Manager. Hit the X and Windows key both at the same time from the keyboard. Then, you have to select the ‘Device Manager’ option from the list.
3. Now, find the driver for your device. Then, right-click on it.
4. Select the option ‘Uninstall device to remove the driver’ from the new window.
5. Now, restart the system to save the changes.
After that, you have to check whether the issue is resolved or not.
On the Whole
In the above post, we have provided some of the simplest hacks to fix the Windows 10 USB not working issue. We hope if you implement the above steps in their given order, then it will definitely help you to put an end to this bug. After successfully performing the above steps, if you face any kind of trouble, then you need to connect with a professional expert. In addition, you can also share your queries and valuable feedback through the comment box given at the end of this guide.