Microsoft frequently releases Windows Updates to introduce various new features in order to enhance its overall performance. Usually, Windows checks for the available updates automatically and prompts you to install them.
However, due to various reasons, Windows fails to install the available updates and exhibits error 0x80248007.
There can be various factors responsible for this update issue. But, the corrupted Software Distribution folder can be the most prominent cause. Also, corrupted system files might influence the error in Windows.
If you are encountering this error, check the underlying dedicated methods and try to resolve it as soon as possible.
Fixes for Feature Update to Windows 10 Version 1607 Error 0x80248007
There can be various tricks that can help you to resolve the Windows error. But, we are going to mention the most effective fixes. So, follow these fixes and try to resolve the error by yourself.
Solution 1: Reset the Windows Update Service
If there is something wrong with the Windows Update service, then the occurrence of error 0x80248007 is a common event. But, you can easily get rid of it by resetting the Windows Update service. To do so, follow the instructions underneath.
- Press the combination of the Windows logo + R key to launch the Run window.
- Inside the Run dialog box, write “Control” and hit the Enter key.
- Once you access the Control Panel window, tap on the option “View by” and select “Large icons”. Afterward, choose “Administrative Tools” from the appeared menu.
- From the result window, proceed to right-tap on the Services. Thereafter, enter the password or provide confirmation when you are asked for the Administrator’s confirmation.
- Now, select the “Windows Update” from the appeared menu and hit the “Stop” button. Save the recent changes by tapping on the “Apply” button as well as the “OK” button.
After resetting the Windows Update service, verify if the error has been removed.
Solution 2: Remove Everything in SoftwareDistribution Folder
Uses often encounter this Windows error when the Software Distribution folders get corrupted. To get rid of the Windows error, you must clear the Software Distribution folder along with its subfolders. In order to proceed with this solution, follow the underlying instructions.
- Initially, navigate to the “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution” path.
- In the next screen, locate and double-tap the “Datastore” folder.
- Once you access the Data Store folder, choose all the files in it.
- After you select all of the files and folders, go back to the SoftwareDistribution and double-tap on the “Download” folder.
- Afterward, remove all the files that are present inside this folder.
Once you are done, reboot your device to apply the new modifications.
Solution 3: Restart the Windows Update Service
After you remove the Software Distribution folder, now you need to restart the Windows Update service again. To restart the Windows Update service, you can follow these instructions.
- Repeat the first three steps in solution 1, then select “Administrator Tools” and launch the Services window.
- Next, proceed to right tap on the Windows Update and hit the “Start” button.
- When done, close the “Services” as well as the “Administrative Tools” window.
After restarting the Windows Update service, verify whether the error is resolved. In case, “Feature update to Windows 10 version 1607 error 0x80248007” error message still appears, try the remaining fixes.
Solution 4: Utilize the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter is a built-in tool that is specially designed to eliminate bugs and glitches in the OS. Therefore, whenever you find any error while installing any Windows updates, always use the Windows Update Troubleshooter. To run this utility, go through the steps that are discussed here:
- Launch the Control Panel and choose the “Troubleshooting” option.
- Then hit the “View All” button that is situated on the left pane of the window.
- From the list below “Troubleshoot computer problems”, choose the Windows Update.
- Now, apply the instructions according to that shows up on the screen.
- After the troubleshooting process ends, Windows Update Troubleshooter will display the result.
Finally, reboot your device to let the new changes take effect.
Solution 5: Restart the Windows Installer Service
When the Troubleshooter fails to resolve the error, then you can update the Windows Installer service. A majority of users claim that after resetting this service, the Windows Update error has been resolved.
- Open the Run window and write “cmd” inside the dialog box. Press the Enter button in order to run the command.
- Right-tap on the Command Prompt and choose “Run as Administrator”.
- It will launch the Command Prompt with “Admin” and hit the Enter key after typing the following.
net start msiserver
After restarting the Installer service, the Windows error 0x80248007 should be eliminated from your device.
Solution 6: Repair Corrupted System Files through Built-in Utility
If your device has been infected by any malicious components, then the system files get corrupted and lead you to the Windows Update error. To overcome this situation, you can repair the corrupted system files through the Windows built-in utility.
For this purpose, you can open the Command Prompt with Administrator privileges. Now, write “sfc/scannow” inside the dialog box. Afterward, hit the Enter key to run the command.
After you execute the command successfully, System File Checker scans your entire device and looks for the corrupted or damaged system files. After locating the corrupted files, it will automatically repair them.
Solution 7: Run the Deployment Image Servicing and Management Utility
If System File Checker fails to give you the desired result, you can run the DISM utility. It is another tool that comes up with every version of Windows. To run the Deployment Image Servicing and Management utility, carry out the instruction provided in the below section.
- Open the Command Prompt in Admin Mode.
- Write the following command in order to execute a quick health check:
“DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth”
- After you enter the command, hit the Enter button to run the utility.
When Deployment Image Servicing and Management render you the result, you can reboot your device to apply the new changes.
Solution 8: Reset the Catroot2 Folder
After trying all the above-mentioned solutions if the error 0x80248007 persists, there might be certain issues with the Catroot2 folder. To resolve this error, you need to reset the Catroot2 folder.
For resetting the Catroot2 folder, launch the Command Prompt in Admin Mode and enter the following commands one by one.
- net stop cryptsvc
- MD %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak
- xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak /
In the next screen, try to eliminate everything from the Catroot2 folder. Thereafter, locate the “C:\Windows\System32\” and remove it.
Afterward, stick to the on-screen instructions to reset the Catroot2 folder. After resetting the Catroot2 folder, reboot your device to let the new modifications take effect.
These are the reliable workarounds that you can try to resolve the Windows error 0x80248007.