Error 0xC000012F is a common issue on Windows 8 and 10 computer. This is a quite annoying problem for most people because the error message, “ Origin.exe – Bad Image
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVCR120.dll is either not designed to run on Windows, or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0xC000012F ” keep reappears multiple times even after a user clicks on the OK button. This error message commonly occurs when the image file is being used is not of the right format.
If you are also facing the same problem and don’t know how to get rid of it, then you are in the right place. Because in this article we are gonna discuss all the thing about error status 0xC000012F, including why it appears and how to get rid of it without the help of any third party application. So, follow the rest of the article carefully
Main Causes of Error 0xC000012F
Error 0xC000012F notification basically triggers when the image file format is in incorrect form but other than that software lagging, Windows update, misconfigured system settings, excessive startup programs, corrupted registry entries, fragmented files can also force this error notification to pop-up.
Now that we have learned about the possible causes of the error, it’s time to jump to the main topic which is troubleshooting the error status 0xC000012F.
Effective Hacks to Fix Error 0xC000012F
As discussed error 0xC000012F can occur for various reasons. Some users complain that they are getting the message when launching Dropbox where others complain that they are getting the error message during the gameplay.
Depending on when you are getting the error notification, there are different types of solution available for the user. In this article, we try our best to add all the effective solution under the same roof. So, choose the appropriate solution for you to continue with the troubleshooting method.
Method 1: Install Latest Microsoft Visual C++
In your case, if the error 0xC000012F is occurring during gameplay then most probably the issue is related to the Microsoft’s Visual C++ Redistributable. Files within the application can easily become corrupted by malware if you are not running a powerful firewall or if you are doing an excessive amount of online surfing.
Usually, the error 0xC000012F syntax occurs during the gameplay when one or more of the following files got corrupted:
System32:MFC100.DLL, MFC100U.DLL, MSVCP100.DLL, MSVCR100.DLL, MSVCR100_CLR0400.DLL, XINPUT1_3.DLL, SysWOW64: MSVCP100.DLL, MSVCR100.DLL, MSVCR100_CLR0400.DLL, XINPUT1_3.DLL.
To fix this error you have to reinstall the Visual C++ Redistributable, which you can perform easily by looking inside the Game folder. In most of the game folder, there will be a Resources or software folder with the Visual C++ version. You can also find it in the game folder by the name of the VCRedist.
So, locate it and then Run it in your device. After that, restart your device and check if the problem is solved or not.
Alternatively, you can look at the error notification to know the name of the corrupted file, for example, ‘C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32MSVCR120.dll’. Depend on the file mentioned in the notification you have to download the particular version of Visual C++ and install it in your device.
The reason behind choosing the exact Visual C++ is, different edition of Visual C++ contain the different files. So, choosing the wrong version will not help you to resolve the issue. If you don’t know which version of the Visual C++ you need to install, then paste the file name in the Google to know which version you need to install.
If you don’t know how to download Visual C++, then follow the below steps:
- At first, turn on your device and then open any browser from the device.
- Next, go to the download page of Microsoft to navigate for Visual C++ Redistributable. You can also land to the page directly by pasting the following link in the search bar, https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=48145.
- After that, from the drop-down menu select your preferred language and then click on the Download link.
- Now, from the new window select the checkbox of the files you want to download and then click on the Next button.
- Finally, simply follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process and after the installation restart your computer to complete the method.
Method 2: Disable Startup Services of Microsoft
It is also a good method to locate which application is triggering the error 0xC000012F error code. In this process, you only need to hide all the Microsoft services and then disable the startup application of Windows in order to get rid of the issue.
If you are interested to use this method, then follow the below steps:
- At first, press the Windows key + R key in order to open the Run dialogue box.
- After that, write ‘msconfig’ and hit the Enter button to open the System Configuration window.
- Now, from the System Configuration window select the Services tab from the top of the page.
- Next, select all the application from the list and after that click on the box labeled as Hide all Microsoft services.
- Now, simply click on the Apply button to save the changes you have made and then select the Startup tab from the same page.
- In this tab, you will find the link to open the Task Manager, click on it.
- When you click on the link, a list of activated application will be displayed. Now, disable those applications one by one.
Once the above task is completed close the Task Manager window and then restart your computer to check the status of the error.
Method 3: Run SFC and DISM Scans
Windows operating system offers various useful tools to fix any sort of issue in the device. Among them, running SFC or system file checker is one of the most effective ways to get rid of the error 0xC000012F.
When users run the System file checker, it automatically does a thorough check of file integrity and automatically repairs all corrupt, damaged or missing system file in it.
To use this method, you have to turn on the device and press Windows Key + X Key to open the menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin) option. Now in the Command Prompt box type “sfc/scannow” and press Enter.
After that, the only thing is left to wait for 15-20 minute. So that your device can successfully conduct the scanning process and fix any corrupted file of the device. When the scanning process is complete check if the issue is still present or resolved.
If the SFC is not able to fix the problem or unable to repair certain files, it will show the following error: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. In this case, running the DISM scan can be a good alternative choice for you.
To run the DISM scan, you have to open the Command Prompt box and run it as administrator just like before. Then, you have to type and run “DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth” to start the scan. DCIM scan also takes 15 to 25 minute time so don’t interfere or perform another task during the process. After the scanning, restart your device and then check the status of the issue.
Method 4: Use Official Guide to fix Bad Image Problem for Different Application
Different application has its own official guide to fix the Bad image: error 0xC000012F issue which can be used only for those particular applications. Down below we have discussed two of those applications which have their own way to fix the problem:
Fix Bad Image Error in Chrome
If you are getting Bad image error status 0xC000012F while trying to open the Google Chrome Browser then you have to follow the below steps to get rid of it:
- Turn on your device and then open the Windows Explorer from the device.
- Now, click on the Local Disk (C:) from the left panel and then follow the below-mentioned path: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data.
- Next, in the User Data file find the folder name as Default and select it to rename it to Default.bkp.
After making the following changes try to open the Chrome browser to check if you are still getting the error notification or not.
Fix Bad Image Error in MS Office
If you are getting the error 0xC000012F in the MS Office application such as MS Excel or Word, then to fix the issue you have to open the Run dialogue box by pressing the Windows + R key. Now, type appwiz.cpl and hit the Enter key to open the Programs and Features folder.
After that, locate the Microsoft Office from the installed application list and then right click on it. From the pop-up window select Change button and then select the Repair option. Now, simply follow the on-screen instructions to start the automatic repair process.
It may take some time, so let it run in the background and don’t do anything else during the process. After the repair is complete, check if the error is gone or not.
Method 5: Uninstall Windows Update
If the error is popping after the recent update, then there is a high possibility that the new update is somehow triggering the error notification. If the problem is occurring in the Windows 8 64bit-system, then uninstall the KB2879017 update from the device.
It is the Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer version 10 which most of the time responsible to trigger the Bad image notification.
To uninstall an update from the device, first, open the Run dialogue box and then type appwiz.cpl to open the Programs and Features windows. Now, click on the View installed updates from the left panel.
After that, find the latest update from the list and then right-click on it to select the Uninstall button. Next, simply follow the wizard to uninstall the update. After uninstalling the update, restart your computer and then try to open the programs which are giving the error problem.
You can also fix the update related problem with the help of system restore point. To use the function, follow the below steps:
- Click on the Start Menu and then type & open “Create a Restore point”, with the help of search bar.
- Now, from the new window select the System Protection tab.
- Next, from the System Protection tab, select the System Restore button and then hit the Next button.
- After that, select the last Restore point that you have created. Make sure to select a restore point which is created before the trouble making update is installed in your computer. After selecting the restore point, click on the Next button.
- Now, press Finish and wait for the system to restore. When it’s finally done, restart the device.
Method 6: Clean the Junk Files
According to some users, this problem can also occur for an excessive amount of junk file. So, removing them and creating some space in the device can also help to solve the problem.
Even though there is no solid evidence about the effectiveness of this method but if none of the tricks work for you then you can give this method a shot. To clear junk file, open the Run dialogue box and then type cleanmgr to open the Disk Cleanup: Drive Selection pop-up window.
Now, from the Drives’ drop down options select (C:) and then press OK. From the new window select the checkbox of the files you want to delete. We will recommend to mark the Setup log files, Recycle bin and Temporary files to remove them from your desktop. After selecting the checkbox click on the Cleanup system files and wait for the process to finish.
Other than the above-mentioned methods, there are also some general methods available to solve the error status 0xC000012F. These are:
- Download any pending updates
- Uninstall any corrupted driver and install a fresh driver
- Restart your device
- Uninstall any third party application which is causing the problem
- Use the built-in Advance Troubleshooting tool
Hope these methods are able to properly guide you to solve Bad image: error 0xC000012F issue. We try our best to describe the methods as simple as possible to make it acceptable for all the users. If you are still unable to fix the Bad image issue then we will highly recommend getting in touch with an expert for better guidance.