You might encounter Error Code: 0x80042405 – 0xa001a while running Media Creation Tool in Windows 10 which might often lead to an annoying situation. Also while making a bootable media, you may face this issue on your Windows 10 device.
But do not worry, here you will get the complete details regarding the solution of this Windows error Code: 0x80042405 – 0xa001a. It will definitely resolve your problem and you can make an installation media in your USB drive. But before coming to the solution take a glance at some of the common reasons that are responsible for this error to occur.
Why Does Error Code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a Appear?
A number of reasons might lead to the error Code: 0x80042405 – 0xa001a. To know them take a look below:
- Due to the shortage of space on your USB drive while trying to make installation media.
- If you do not format your USB as NTFS file system then it might lead to the error in the media creation tool.
- Run the media creation tool inside the USB drive to avoid the error code.
- A few antivirus software might cause error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a while running the Windows 10 media creation tool.
How to Fix error code: 0x80042405 – 0xa001a?
If you have some trouble with the error Code: 0x80042405 – 0xa001a in your Windows 10 media creation tool and try to resolve that then you can perform the below methods. But before that, disable all the antivirus software and use a USB drive up to 8 GB storage space.
Downloading the Media Creation Tool in Same USB Drive:
You can download and run the Media Creation Tool directly to the USB drive so that you can resolve the Windows error Code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a. So, when you are facing the issues in your Windows 10 media creation tool you can follow the below guidelines to resolve the error.
Download in the Same USB drive
- At first, you can download and install the Media Creation Tool directly to the USB drive. But make sure that you want to use that USB drive as an installation media.
- Now, you can directly run that media creation tool via the USB drive. Therefore, you will get a bootable USB drive or installation media.
Download in the Hard Drive
If the above method won’t work then you can try this one to fix the error Code: 0x80042405 – 0xa001a. You can also copy the Media Creation Tool from your PC to the USB drive.
- At first, download the Media Creation Tool into the Local Drive C of your computer. Then, install it in C drive.
- Next, you need to mount the “.iso” file that you installed previously to create an installation media.
- Now, copy all the files except the “Autorun.inf” file from the virtual DVD to the USB drive that you want to use as an installation media.
- Then, choose the option ‘Rename’ by right-clicking on that “Autorun.inf” file and change it to “Autorun.txt” and press enter.
- Now, copy it to the USB drive and rename it again as “Autorun.inf”.
Hence, you can check if the error Code: 0x80042405 – 0xa001a is resolved or not. But if it is not then you can move to the other methods in order to fix the Media Creation Tool error.
Format the USB as NTFS File System
You can run the Media Creation Tool by formatting your USB as an NTFS file to fix the error Code: 0x80042405 – 0xa001a. This method is very effective and you can follow the below guidelines to perform the task.
- At first, press Windows + E keys together from your keyboard and then select the option “This-PC” from the left navigation bar.
- Then, choose your USB device by right-clicking on it and therefore, click on “Format”.
- Now, you will get a pop-up window on your screen and then set the Format as NTFS and click to proceed option.
- Finally, you can run the Media Creation Tool once the formatting is completed. Hence, check if the error is resolved or not.
Use Disk Management to Convert to MBR
You can set your Media Creation tool as an MBR (Master Boot Record) for allowing you to boot from the USB device. Therefore, instead of setting to GPT (GUID Partition Table) you can set your media creation tool as MBR in order to fix the error code.
You need to use the Disk management tool for performing the operation. Therefore, you can follow the below steps to complete the task.
- At first, open the dialogue box by pressing the Windows + R key together. Then, type the command “diskpart’ in that box and press enter to continue.
- Now, type the command “list disk” and “select disk x” respectively. Here, x is the number for creating a bootable media.
- Then, clean the drive before you convert it to the MBR and type the below commands respectively.
- Then, wait for a few minutes until the clean operation is over and then convert to MBR.
Now, you can run the media creation tool in your Windows 10 and check if the error Code: 0x80042405 – 0xa001a resolved or not.
Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool
You can use the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool to fix the error Code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a. This tool is as same as the media creation tool but it is required to have the whole ISO file in your PC. Hence, take a glance at these steps.
- At first, go to the official website of Microsoft to download and install the ISO file.
- Then, again visit Microsoft’s official website and download and install the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool.
- Now, after installing the tool, run it as an administrator.
- Next, choose the ISO file and continue. Therefore, choose the drive (USB drive or DVD) and simply follow the instructions shown on the screen for creating a bootable USB drive.
Disabling USB Settings in Power Options
You can also disable the USB selective suspend settings to resolve the windows error Code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a. You might follow the below guidelines to fix the error.
- At first, open the Windows search box and type Control Panel and then choose the Power options.
- Then go to the left side of your screen and select the option “Change when the computer sleeps”.
- Therefore, select the option “Change advanced power settings”. Now, tap on the USB settings and then select the option “USB selective suspend setting”.
- After that, choose ‘Disabled’ from the settings option of “USB selective suspend setting”. Finally, select Ok to exit the window.
These steps will prevent the USB drive from the suspend mode while creating the installation media on Windows 10 and it may resolve the error Code: 0x80042405 – 0xa001a.
In this way, you can fix the error Code: 0x80042405 – 0xa001a and can run your Windows 10 Media Creation Tool effectively.