Error 0x80070057 is a common error faced by several windows users while updating the Operating System to its latest version. This error indicates that the OS is not able to update to its newest version. There are several reasons behind this error such as corrupted components of windows update, earlier updates that failed, corrupted system files, and so many others. This error appears followed by a lengthy message that is ‘There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help – (0x80070057).’ Sometimes, this error may also appear with a different notification that is ‘Something went wrong.’
If you face the same error, then nothing to get worried about this. Here in this guide, we are going to present some amazing tips and tricks which can help you to fix this issue at a short span of time. Hence, you are advised to go through the article given below. So, let’s start.
Easy Hacks to Fix the Error Code 0x80070057
There is a lot of ways to fix the Error 0x80070057. Stick to the methods given below to get rid of this error:
Solution 1: Change the Setting of the Decimal Symbol (Unspecified Parameter)
The method is based on the state in which the parameter is inaccurate. The error code 0x80070057 is a hexadecimal error number. Here, this error appears if the decimal character is not set to dot (.). To fix this, you should perform the steps given below:
- At first, you have to hit the R and Windows key both at the same time from the keyboard to invoke the Run Command box.
- Then, type ‘control’ in the Run Dialog box and then tap on the Ok button. Or if you prefer you can also hit the Enter to run the command.
- Now, you need to search for options such as Region, Language, and Clock.
- Then, click on the ‘Region and Language’ option.
- Now, you have to navigate to the upper left side of the display and click on the Formats tab.
- Select the option ‘Additional Settings’ from the list.
- In the next window, you should tap on the ‘Decimal Symbol.’
- Then, type ‘.’ in the specific field. Now, click twice on the OK button.
- After changing the settings, you need to save these by restarting the system.
After that, you should try to update the windows to its newest version to check that the error has been resolved or not. If the error persists, then move on to the solutions given below.
Solution 2: Run the SFC or System File Checker
SFC is an in-built tool of Windows Operating System which can help the user to scan the system files. It also helps the user by repairing the corrupted system files of the system. Hence, you should run the System File Checker to check the files of the system. To run this, you need to perform the steps given below:
- At first, move the cursor to the bottom left side of the screen and tap on the Start logo.
- Then, type ‘cmd’ in the search bar.
- As a result, it will show the ‘Command Prompt’ option.
- Right-click on it. Choose the option ‘Run as Administrator’ from the list to run the Command Prompt with the administrator privileges.
- Now, you have to type ‘sfc/scannow’ in the Command Prompt window.
- Then, press the Enter key from the keyboard to execute the command.
- Now, you have to wait for a few times until the SFC scans the entire system and repair the corrupted system files.
- After completing the scanning process, you have to restart the system to save the changes.
After that, you need to try to install the newest version of the Windows Operating System to check whether the Error 0x80070057 is fixed or not. But, if you face the same error, then you should perform the methods given below.
Solution 3: Add the Registry Key Value (Unspecified Parameter)
According to some users, if you make any changes of the values of the registry files, then it can cause several damages to the Windows OS. To fix this issue, you need to stick to the steps given below. But, before going to implement the steps, you need to create a backup of the registry files of the system in case something happens wrong. Then, follow the steps carefully to add the registry key value safely on Windows OS:
- At first, navigate to the Start Menu.
- Type ‘regedit’ in the search bar and hit the Enter to proceed further.
- Now, you have to go to the ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE’ file.
- Then, tap on the ‘Software’ option.
- Select the ‘Microsoft’ option by going to the ‘Policies’ section.
- Then, click on the ‘System Certificates’ option.
- Next, on the next window, you have to right-click on the black area beneath the New option. Then, tap on the ‘DWORD Value.’
- Now, you have to rename the file. Change the filename to ‘CopyFileBuffered Synchronouslo.’
- Click twice on the file and then convert the Value data to 1. Tap on the OK button to save it.
- After saving, you need to exit from the registry. Exit from all the open apps by pressing the Alt and F4 simultaneously from the keyboard.
- After that, you have to restart the system to save the changes.
Now, try to update the OS to check whether the error is resolved or not. If the error persists, then move on to the solutions given below.
Solution 4: Rename the Software Distribution Folder
Now, you should try to rename the software distribution folder to check if it can fix the Windows update error 0x80070057. To rename the folder, you should follow the steps given below:
- First, launch the Run Command box by pressing the R and Windows key both at the same time from the keyboard.
- Then, type ‘%systemroot%’ in the Run Dialog box. Hit the Enter from the keyboard to run the command.
- Now, you have to search the folder that is named by ‘Software Distribution.’ Right-click on it. Choose the ‘Rename’ option from the list.
- Rename the ‘Software Distribution’ folder to ‘old.’
- When the windows prompt the administrator permission, tap on the Yes button.
- Then, go to the Windows search bar and type ‘Services.’ Hit the Enter.
- Open the Services window. Now, you have to search for the running service that is named by ‘Windows update.’ Then, you have to make sure that the status is Started.
- After making such changes, you need to exit from all the apps of the system.
- Then, restart the system to save the changes.
After that, you have to check that the error 0x80070057 still appears or not. If the error continues, then go to the solutions given below.
Solution 5: Reset the Components of Windows
Now, you should try to reset the windows components to check if it can fix the Windows update error 0x80070057. To perform this, you need to perform the steps given below:
At first, go to the Start menu. Type ‘cmd’ in the search bar. Right-click on the ‘Command Prompt’ option. Choose the option ‘Run as Administrator’ to run this with the administrator privilege.
Now, you have to type the commands given below and hit the Enter after each command:
1st: net stop bits
2nd: net stop wuauserv
3rd: net stop appidsvc
4th: net stop cryptsvc
Now, run the command ‘Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%Application DataMicrosoftNetwork Downloader*.*’ to remove the qmgr.dat update files from the system. Don’t forget to hit the Enter key from the keyboard.
Next, you have to clean the Windows Update cache. Run the commands given below:
1st: rmdir %systemroot%SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
2nd: rmdir %systemroot%system32catroot2 /S /Q
After that, you have to register all the DLL files of the Windows Update from the Windows Registry. Hence, run the commands given below. Do not forget to press the Enter.
1st: regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
2nd: regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll
3rd: regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
4th: regsvr32.exe /s shdocvw.dll
5th: regsvr32.exe /s browseui.dll
6th: regsvr32.exe /s jscript.dll
7th: regsvr32.exe /s vbscript.dll
8th: regsvr32.exe /s scrrun.dll
9th: regsvr32.exe /s msxml.dll
Now, restart the components of the Windows Update. Run the commands given below and hit the Enter after each command:
1st: net start bits
2nd: net start wuauserv
3rd: net start appidsvc
4th: net start cryptsvc
After performing the above steps, you need to check that the error has been resolved or not. If the error persists then move on to the method given below.
Solution 6: Using Windows Update troubleshooter
If you are searching for a reliable and quick solution to solve the 0x80070057 windows 10, then you should try to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. It is an in-built of Windows Operating System that helps its users to scans as well as repairs the problems related with the Windows Update at a short span of time. To run this Windows troubleshooter, you need to follow the steps given below:
- Navigate to the bottom left corner of the screen and open the Start menu.
- Then, you have to click on the gear-shaped Settings icon.
- Now, go to the ‘Update & Security’ section.
- Click on the ‘Troubleshoot’ option from the current window.
- Choose the option ‘Windows Update’ from the list.
- Now, you have to wait until the process completes.
- Then, restart the system to save the changes.
After that, you have to update the Windows OS to its latest version to check if the error code 0x80070057 is resolved. But, if you see that the error is still continuing, then move on to the methods given below.
Solution 7: Run Disk Cleanup or Repair the Partition of the System
Sometimes, the Error 0x80070057 appears when the partition of the system that you saved for any damages of the Operating System. Luckily, you can fix this issue quickly with the help of a dedicated hard disk repair program to recover the partition health. Here in this process, you can also check the drivers of the system for errors. To perform this, you need to follow the steps given below:
- At first, go to the problematic partition of the system and right-click on it.
- Then, navigate to the upper right side of the screen and tap on the Tools tab.
- Tap on the Check button by going to the ‘Error checking’ section. It will start to check if there are any errors on the drive of your system.
Junk files and other temporary files may also be the reason behind this error. You can solve such issues by performing a Disk Cleanup. After performing the above steps, you need to try to update the OS. If you see that the error is not resolved, then go to the solution given below.
Solution 8: Remove the Cloud Fogger from the System
Sometimes, the error 0x80070057 also appears when you are trying to restore the system or trying to create a backup of the system. According to some system specialists, Cloud Flogger application of the system is the root cause behind this issue. This issue appears because of the third-party tools such as Cloud Flogger installing filter drivers which conflict with the system calls. To delete this from the system, you need to follow the steps as follows:
- At first, invoke the Run Command box by pressing the R and Windows key both at the same time from keyboard.
- Then, type ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the Run Dialog box and tap on the OK button.
- Then, navigate to the ‘Programs/Apps and Features’ section under the new window.
- Scroll down the list to locate the Cloud Fogger app. Then, right-click on it.
- Choose the Uninstall option from the list.
- Now, you have to wait until the uninstallation process completes.
- After that, you have to restart the system to save the changes.
Now, try to update the Operating System to check whether the error has been resolved.
On the Whole
In the above post, we have provided some of the possible ways to solve the windows update error 0x80070057. We hope if you implement the above ways in their respective order, it will definitely help you to put an end to this error. After successfully performing the above ways if you still face any kind of difficulties, then you need to connect with a tech expert. In addition, you can also share your queries and valuable feedback through the comment box given at the end of this guide.