Almost all the users at some point of time have met with the error code 8024402c while using the Windows 10 Operating System. This error pops up when you attempt to update the Windows. When this issue shows up, then you cannot able to update any applications and critical files on the system, thus making it vulnerable to virus attack. There can be many reasons for the occurrence of this glitch.
Some of the most common causes are the incompatibility of the DNS servers if the IPV6 is active. Moreover, when the proxy settings are altered somehow, or if the driver software of the hard drive is not up-to-date, then you can get this problem. Further, if the components of Windows Update gets corrupted, then this issue can pop up. Even, there is a chance for you to encounter this problem if there is an issue in the User Account Control and etc.
Methods to Eradicate the Windows Update Error 8024402c:
This section of the article will help you to eliminate this error in an efficient and effective way.
Use the Windows Update Troubleshooter
The first thing to do, if you encounter the error 8024402c is to execute the in-built troubleshooter for the ‘Windows Update’ procedure. This tool will automatically find a glitch during the update and try to fix it. Basically, this utility resets any corrupt component of the Windows Update’ process. Below, there are steps on how to execute the ‘Windows Update Troubleshooter’, so follow the steps along.
- First, click on the ‘Windows Logo’ that is present within the taskbar to open the ‘Start Menu’. Then, just above the ‘Power’ icon, tap on the ‘Gear’ icon. This will launch a new window called ‘Windows Settings’.
- Within this window, locate and choose the ‘Update & Security’ category. This opens a new page within the window, where go to the left panel and select the option ‘Troubleshoot’.
- Now, go to the right panel of the same page and choose the ‘Windows Update’ option under the section ‘Get up and running’.
- Next, within the chosen option on the previous step, hit the ‘Run the troubleshooter’ button.
- At this moment a new window comes up, which automatically looks the whole system for any glitches in the ‘Windows Update’ process.
- If the troubleshooter finds any problems, then it will attempt to fix that error automatically. Give this process some time to complete.
- Once it is over, reboot your computer and inspect whether this glitch is still present or not, when you attempt to update the Operating System.
Deactivate the IPV6 Present on the Computer
The Internet Protocol Version 6 or IPV6 is an Internet Protocol that is used to carry packets of data from source to the destination address via several networks. It is the successor of the IPV4, which can hold IP addresses of length 128 bits. Sometimes, if IPV6 is enabled on your machine, then you might get the 8024402c error code. So, therefore the only solution to correct this problem is to disable the IPV6. To do it, follow the lines below.
- First, tap on the combination of ‘Windows + R’ keys simultaneously to open the Run dialog box.
- Next, inside it, type the following command on the textbox present to the right side of the ‘Open:’ label – “ncpa.cpl” and tap the ‘Enter key. This will open a ‘Network Connections’ window.
- Now, locate the active network adapter with which the computer is currently connected. After that, double-click on it, to open the ‘Status’ window of that specific network adapter.
- Go to the bottom and then, tap on the ‘Properties’ button. Now, from the list of options that appears on the new window, locate and uncheck the ‘Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)’. Then tap on the ‘OK’ button.
- At last, reboot the machine and after the startup process, try to perform an update of the OS and check if this error reappears or not.
Alter Some Specific Settings in the Internet Explorer
Sometimes this error can be easily rectified if you have just altered some specific type of settings within the Internet Explorer application. In order to do that, follow the lines presented underneath.
- First, locate the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop and double-click on it to launch the application.
- After that, go to the right-hand corner of the window and tap on the ‘Gear’ icon, to the left of a ‘Smiley’ icon. Then, from the popup menu, find and choose the ‘Internet options’ option. This will open a new window that has the same name as the option chosen on the last line.
- Within this, go to the ‘Connections’ tab and click on it. Under this tab, move to the section ‘Local Area Network (LAN) settings’ and then press the ‘LAN settings’ button.
- Now, a new dialog box will appear and in it, put a checkmark on the option ‘Automatically detect settings’ under the section ‘Automatic configuration’. After that, do change anything on the ‘Proxy server’ section if it is blank. Next, tap on ‘OK’ and ‘OK’ respectively.
- Finally, reboot the machine to apply any changes in it.
Reset the Proxy Settings via Command Prompt
If the proxy settings on the machine are corrupt due to some other reasons, then also you can face the Windows update error 8024402c. The solution to correct this issue is to set up the proxy settings once again. For that, you will have to follow the sentences beneath.
- First, tap on the ‘Cortana Logo’ that is present within the taskbar. This opens the ‘Windows Search’ text area.
- Within this area, write the text “command prompt” and then hit on the ‘Enter’ key to initiate the search process. When this process is over, there will be a list full of results.
- From that list, locate the ‘Command Prompt’ option and then right-click on it. Then, from the popup menu, choose the sub-option ‘Run as Administrator’. This will launch a new window called ‘Command Prompt (Admin) with a black background and white text.
- Within this window, type the following commands and after each of them press ‘Enter’ to execute – “netsh”, “winhttp”, “reset proxy”. Wait for all these commands to fully execute which takes a few seconds.
- Once the execution is complete, quit from the ‘Command Prompt’ window.
- Finally, go to the Windows Update window and attempt to update the system and see if this error comes back or not.
Disable the User Account Control on Windows 10
A User Account Control is a component on Windows 10 OS that provides the first layer of security and prevents any application to make changes on your machine. Basically, when software tries to make any kind of changes within the system, then you will see a message box that provides detailed information about the alterations. This message box is a UAC. A UAC is necessary for your system to function properly, but due to some internal glitches within it, sometimes during the update process, you can stumble upon the error 8024402c. The solution to remove this error is to deactivate the UAC. Below is the procedure on how to achieve it.
- First, right-click on the ‘Windows Logo’ to popup the menu. After that, from the menu, choose the ‘Run’ option. This will launch a dialog box that has an identical name as the previously chosen option.
- Next, in this dialog box, write the following text – “Control panel” on the field just on the right side of the label ‘Open:’ and tap the ‘Enter’ key.
- Now, a new window will come up that has the “Control Panel’ name. In this window, there are categories of all the computer settings which can be altered by you.
- From the several categories present, locate and choose the ‘User Accounts’. This will open a new page within the ‘Control Panel’ window. Here, select the option that has a similar name as the category that you have selected on the first line of this step.
- Next, on the new page, locate and select the link ‘Change User Account Control Settings’. Now, a dialog box will appear with the heading ‘Choose when to be notified about changes to your computer’.
- Under that heading, you will see a slider whose range starts from ‘Always notify’ to ‘Never notify.’ There are basically four options.
- Out of all the options, choose the ‘Never notify’ by dragging the slider down. Then, just click on the ‘OK’ button to apply this alteration.
Now, go and examine whether this mitigates the error or not. If updates on Windows is possible, then once it is over, re-enable UAC.
Update the Driver Software of the Hard Drive
When the hard disk driver software is obsolete, then you can get this glitch. Thus, the best solution to resolve this problem is to perform an update of the hard disk driver software. In order to fix it, follow the lines below carefully.
- First, press the combination of ‘Windows + X’ keys altogether to launch the Menu. From that Menu, locate and tap on the ‘Device Manager’ option.
- As soon as you do this, a new window with the same name as the option chosen on the previous step pops up. This window has the information of all the devices and their drivers installed on the computer in a list.
- Within this window, locate and double-click on the device ‘Disk drivers’ to expand it. After that, from the expanded list, right-click on the hard drive. Then, from the pop-up menu, select ‘Update driver’. Now, another dialog box will show up, with two links.
- Out of the two links that are on this window, click the one that says ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’. At this moment, Windows OS will search for any available updates for the device.
- If it finds an update, then that will be automatically downloaded and installed respectively. This process will take some time to complete.
- Once the update procedure is complete, restart the computer and then, check if this error pops back or not.
Alteration of DNS Address
If the DNS address provided by the Internet Service Provider is not compatible with servers from Microsoft Corporation, then you might get the code 8024402c. There are chances that while you try to update the Windows Operating System. The only feasible solution is to alter the DNS address. For that, follow the sentences below.
- Go to the first point within this section and then follow the initial four steps until the ‘Properties’ window of the specific network adapter comes up.
- Now, from the list, locate and double-click on the ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option. This will launch a new dialog box, where choose ‘General’ tab.
- Under this tab, choose the ‘Use the following DNS server addresses’ option. Next, within the field ‘Preferred DNS server:’ provide the following number – ‘220.127.116.11’. Then, in the other field ‘Alternate DNS server:’ give the number as ‘18.104.22.168’. Hit ‘OK’ button for the two dialog box and then ‘Close’ for the ‘Network adapter status’ window.
- Lastly, go to the ‘Update’ section and attempt to perform it. While doing it check whether this error pops up or not.
Installation Procedure of.Net Framework
A software development framework built by Microsoft is called the .NET Framework. In other words is an infrastructure to program, deploy and then execute applications that utilize the .NET technologies. Now, if this framework is obsolete, then you can encounter the problem code 8024402c. The best solution to get rid of this issue is to perform an update of the .NET Framework. For that, follow these lines underneath.
- Go to a browser and then visit the official Microsoft website. Now, in the search area within the site, type “.net framework latest version download” and then press ‘Enter’.
- After that, from the output of this search, carefully locate the .NET Framework version number. Most of the time, the recent version is at the top of the list, so look at it minutely. Next, once you have got the latest version of the framework, then download it.
- Now, wait for the download process to complete. After that, find the location of the setup file and execute it.
- When the installation is over, then inspect the integrity of it. To do that, go to the fifth point of this section and follow the first three steps in it.
- Within the ‘Control Panel’ window, locate the ‘Programs’ category. Under it, tap on the link ‘Uninstall a program’. A new page opens, where there is a list full of all the programs installed on the computer are present.
- Go to the left panel of this window and click on the link ‘Turn Windows features on or off’. This will launch a dialog box, which has a list full of ‘features’ for Windows OS. From that list, locate the ‘.NET Framework 4.6.1’ and see if that is activated or not.
- If the ‘.NET Framework’ checkbox is not marked, then put a checkmark on it. Next, close the window tap on ‘OK’ button and restart the machine.
- Finally, check whether the error reappears or not.
Use Registry to Alter a Windows Update Key
Perform this process only if all the point above fails. When a key in relation to Windows Update is corrupt, then for this reason, you might face this problem. The solution to solve this problem is to alter the value of that key via the Registry Editor. So, follow the steps below to get to that key.
- First, go to the second point of this section and follow the initial step to get to the ‘Run’ dialog box.
- After that, type the text “regedit” and then tap ‘OK’ to popup the ‘Registry Editor’ window.
- On this window, go to the address bar and type the path that follows – “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU”. This will take you to the place where the key for Windows Update is present.
- Now, navigate to the right panel of this window and double-click on the file ‘UseWUServer’. This opens a new dialog box, where alter the number inside the field ‘Value data’ to zero.
- After that, tap on the ‘OK’ button and then restart the machine.
By following all the points on the above section, you can rectify the Windows update error 8024402c very easily. Now, even after following those points on the previous section you still are unable to resolve this issue, then do not worry. Provide the information about your problem in detail on the comment section present at the bottom of this webpage.