Generally, Windows update error code 80070103 appears while installing Windows updates. This error can occur when the users try to install a new driver, which is incompatible with their systems. This error code usually occurs due to the wrong proxy server settings. If you face the same situation, don’t panic. In this article, we are going to discuss how to fix Windows update error code 80070103. Also, we will provide major causes of this annoying problem. So, read our article thoroughly to derive all the solutions to eliminate this critical error.
Major Reasons for Windows Update Error Code 80070103:
The appearance of this error code may look differently depending on your OS. You may receive a message indicating that “Windows could not search for new updates. An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer” or “Error(s) found: Code 80070103 Windows Update encountered an unknown error” or “Windows Update ran into a Problem.”
Moreover, there are several instances when you may confront error code 80070103. The error mainly occurs when Windows update tries to install a device driver that is not compatible with an existing one, meaning that the current device driver is of a higher rating than one that Windows tries to install. List of such reasons is mentioned below.
- A proxy or an internal conflict issue.
- Faulty or outdated device driver
- Hardware issue
- Duplicate driver updates for the same Windows device
- Compatibility issue
Apply These Tricks to Know How to Fix Windows Update Error Code 80070103:
In this section, you will find all the necessary solutions to fix this Windows update error code 80070103, implementing which you will be able to mitigate this error code. Therefore, try them one-by-one, till you fix this error code. So, let’s discuss these solutions in brief.
Fix 1: Find out which Device Driver Caused this Issue
The first resort is that you have to figure out the exact problematic driver so that you can fix this issue easily. Now, you can follow the instructions below to find out such drivers:
- First of all, go to the Search box and type ‘Windows Update’.
- Then, hit Enter.
- Now, click on ‘Windows Update’.
- When the Windows Update opens, click on View Update History.
- Now, you should see a list of failed and installed updates.
Fix 2: Update the Device Drivers
If you use a wrong, corrupt, missing or outdated driver, you encounter the Windows update error code 80070103. To fix the glitch, you need to update the device drivers in an accurate way. You update the drivers both manually and automatically.
If you want to upgrade the driver manually, go to the manufacturer’s website and fetch the latest version of the driver. Be sure that the driver you are installing is reliable with the system. After that, you have to download and install the driver correctly and then restart the device as soon as the process finishes. At last, check if the error gets removed or not.
Automatic Driver Update
- Firstly, run a full scan on your computer to find out the problems with the driver.
- When the window appears, you will get two options: Update and Update All.
- You need to click on either of them. If you click on the Update option, the driver will download automatically.
- Alternatively, you can also select the Update All option. After choosing this option, both the download and the installation of the driver will be automatic.
- The process might take a few minutes to finish.
- After completing the installation, reboot the system and check if the error fixes.
Via Device Manager
Alternatively, you can also upgrade the driver via Device Manager. Follow the steps for a successful upgradation.
- First of all, you need to click on the Windows key and R at the same time to invoke the Run dialogue box.
- When the Run dialogue box appears on your computer screen, type ‘devmgmt.msc.’ Hit the Enter key, and then the Device Manager will open.
- Double-click on the USB controllers option and click on the ‘USB Composite Device’ option to select the ‘Update Driver Software.’
- Finally, click on the “Search automatically” option. Then it will search for the latest updates and then update the driver software.
- When the wizard appears on your computer screen, follow the instructions to complete the process.
- When the process completes, reboot your system and check if the Windows update error code 80070103 still persists.
Fix 3: Run the System File Checker
You can resolve this error by running a System file checker scan to check for, and then you can also repair the corrupted files along with the integrity violations. To run the SFC scan in Windows 10, you have to follow the instructions stated below:
- At first, right-click on the Start Menu and go to the Command Prompt section.
- Now, type ‘sfc/scannow’ in the Command Prompt Section.
- After that, press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- Then the SFC scan will scan your whole device. Don’t cancel the scan process until it finishes completely.
- After scanning, it will show the corrupt files of your device.
- After scanning, if you find any corrupt files in your device, type this:
“findstr /c:”[SR]” %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >”%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt.”
Now, press the ENTER key.
- You can see the details of the SFC scan on the sfcdetails.txt file which will show up on the Screen.
- After half an hour when the SFC scan will be completed, if the scan reports that Windows Resource Protection fixed something, then you need to reboot your computer device and check you still face this error or not.
Fix 4: Run the Windows Troubleshooter
Running the Windows troubleshooter can automatically fix the error codes related to Windows update. So, you can try this method to fix this Windows update error code 80070103. To perform this, just follow the easy directions cited below:
For Windows 10 User:
- First of all, go to the Search box and type Windows Update.
- Then, select the Windows Update settings.
- Now, you can find the Troubleshoot option on the left of the screen.
- After that, choose ‘Windows Update’, and then select ‘Run the troubleshooter’. After clicking on this option, it will help to run the troubleshooter automatically.
- Now, follow the instructions which appear on the screen to complete this process.
- Choose the Windows Update again to check if the error is resolved or not.
For Windows 8 User:
- Go to the search box and type ‘Network problems’.
- Then, find the ‘Identify and repair network problems’ option from the list.
- Now, follow the steps on the wizard to diagnose and repair the network problems.
- Try to perform the Windows Update again.
For Windows 7 User:
- First of all, go to the Notification area and find the Network icon.
- Then, select the ‘Troubleshoot problems’ option.
- Follow the steps one-by-one which will appear on the wizard to diagnose the network problem.
Try to perform the Windows update again and check whether Windows update error code 80070103 strikes again or not.
Fix 5: Hide the Update
If the device driver is working properly, it isn’t significantly important to install the update. If your device drivers are already updated, then you do not need to use Windows Updates. In this case, you can hide the update to prevent Windows Update.
- First of all, open Windows Update and click on the ‘Check for updates’.
- Now, click on the Optional updates.
- Select ‘Optional’.
- Click on Updates and right-click on them one by one.
- Then, click on the ‘Hide Update’ option.
- Select ‘OK’.
- If any additional update is available, choose ‘Install Update’.
- Finally, check if you still face the issue or not.
Fix 6: Uninstall and Reinstall the Drivers
Another way is to uninstall and reinstall the drivers to get rid of this Windows update error code 80070103. Just go through the steps and apply them in your own way.
- At first, tap and hold the Windows key on the keyboard.
- Then, write Device Manager there and go to the Display adapters. After that, click on each adapter from the drop-down list.
- Now, select the Uninstall option. When it is prompted, tap on Confirm to save changes. Then you see a checkbox with an instruction that says ‘Delete the driver software for this device?’
- Next, go to the box and react Yes and press Ok.
- After uninstalling the driver, reboot the laptop.
- Check the issue once and the problem is gone totally.
Fix 7: Configure the Proxy Server Settings
You may encounter the error code 80070103 simply because of the incorrect configuration of the proxy server. Therefore, you need to check the proxy settings by applying the below steps:
- Firstly, press Windows Key + R and type cmd in the Run dialog box.
- Then, press the Enter key to open the Command Prompt.
- Now, type “netsh winhttp show proxy” into the prompt.
- After that, click on the Proxy Server Settings option. You will need to check your computer’s system integrity in the event and you will receive a message indicating “Direct Access (no proxy server)“.
- Next, tap on Windows Key + R both.
- Then, type cmd in the command prompt.
- Also, type “sfc/scannow” and press Enter.
Fix 8: Reset Windows 10 OS
You can overcome this Windows update error code 80070103 by resetting the Windows 10 OS. To do this, just try these listed below steps one-by-one:
- At first, press the Windows key and I key at the same time on the keyboard. It will help to invoke the Settings.
- Now, choose the ‘Update & Security’ option.
- Then, go to the Recovery panel.
- You will find the ‘Reset This PC’ option.
- Choose the ‘Get Started’ option.
- Now, you have to choose one option from the following options:
‘Keep my files’, ‘Remove everything’ and ‘Restore factory settings’.
- If you select the first option, it will help you to store all of your personal information like videos, pictures, documents, etc.
- If you choose the second option, it will delete all personal information permanently.
- When you choose the last option, it will restore the default versions of your personal information, settings, apps, etc.
- After selecting the option, select the Reset option.
Fix 9: Rename the SoftwareDistribution Folder
The last resort is to rename the software distribution folder. Just go through the steps mentioned below:
- First of all, click on the ‘Windows’ key and the key ‘X’ from the keyboard.
- Select ‘Command Prompt(Admin)’.
- Now, click on ‘Windows’ and go to the Search panel.
- Then, type ‘cmd’ and press the ‘Enter’ key from the keyboard.
- Next, type ‘WuAuServ’ on the ‘Command Prompt’ section and hit the ‘Enter’ key.
- After that, tap on the ‘Start’ key and the letter ‘R’ at the same time.
- In the ‘Run’ box, type ‘%win%’ and press ‘Enter’ key.
- Then, look for the option ‘SoftwareDistribution’ and click on it.
- Now, select the ‘Rename’ option and write ‘SoftwareDistribution.old’.
- Then, press the ‘Enter’ key.
- Also, type ‘WuAuServ’ on the ‘Command Prompt’ and press the ‘Enter’ key.
- Finally, check if the error persists or not.
After applying any of the above tricks for Windows update error code 80070103, you will able to fix this error. But in case, you fail to understand any methods above, you can leave your query in the comment section below.