0x80070003 is the error code, which bothers many of the Windows users during the update process. If this is the error, you are facing as well, then without being worried, you can go through this article. This article will help you to gather extensive knowledge about the error itself and the solutions for it.
What are the Factors Responsible for 0x80070003?
As this is one of the common error codes among the Windows users, so many of the users like to know the proper causes which are responsible for this. If you are among those users then check it out:
- Improper date and time issue: If the system date and time is not matched with your current location, then this can be the main culprit for which you are not able to perform the system updating task. And in place, you will get the error message 0x80070003. If this is the case, then proceed further with this article to know the complete steps by following which you can fix this glitch.
- Windows system file(s) error: A corrupt file will resist you to perform the Windows update process. And it generally occurs if your system is going through a virus attack. If this is the case, then only by scanning your system using an antivirus tool you can resolve the virus related problems. But along with that, you will need to perform some more tasks as well to get your system update. To know the full procedure, you can continue with this article.
- Abnormality of the Windows Update service: Sometimes Windows Update service reacts abnormally, which makes you stop to perform the Windows updating task. Check further to learn the steps of how to resolve it.
- Presence of unnecessary files on the system: Some of the times it is found that the lack of the drive space on your device is responsible for which you would not be able to perform the system updating task.
No matter what be the cause for which you are getting the Windows update error 0x80070003. Check out these below methods. After following these methods regarding the issue you can get rid of it.
Methods for Solving the Error Code 0x80070003
After long research about the error if you are not satisfied with the solutions you get from other articles, then, you can rely on it. This article will help you to get to learn the complete methods by following which you can get rid of it. So, without wasting time proceed with the methods one by one as below regarding the problem which is responsible for the error 0x80070003:
Method 1: Adjust your Computer’s Date and Time
At first, check the below right-hand corner of the Windows home screen, to see the date and time section which is set on your system. In case, if you see that it is different from the watch you wear, that is your current location time zone, then this can affect the updating process regardlessly and pop-up the error code 0x80070003. If this is the case, then go with the steps as below:
- First of all, navigate the mouse pointer on the date and time section, which is at the right-hand below-corner.
- After that, right-click on it and select the “Adjust date/time” option.
- Next, from the Date & time settings window, you first need to toggle both the “Set time automatically” and “Set time zone automatically” buttons off.
- And then, click on the “Change” button, this will open up the “Time zone” section window.
- After that, open the Time zone menu by clicking on the drop-down arrow and select the time zone in which you are right now.
- Further, turn on both the “Set time automatically” and “Set time zone automatically” switches.
- Then, close all the opened window on your computer and restart it.
- Now, hopefully, you will not get any trouble during the Windows updating task.
Method 2: Run Troubleshoot on the Windows Update
This is another workaround with which you can proceed for the fixing purpose of the error code 0x80070003. So check out these steps as below:
- At first, take the mouse pointer on to the Windows icon and right-click on it.
- After that, from the available options, click on Settings.
- Next, under the Settings window, click on “Update & Security”.
- Then from the left-hand side panel click on Troubleshoot.
- And then check the right-hand panel of this window, and search for the “Run the troubleshooter” button, which you will get under the Windows Update section. After you find it, click on it.
- At the end of the Troubleshooting process, you need to restart your computer and then check if the error gets fixed.
In case if the error still persists, then proceed with the further methods as below.
Method 3: Restart the Windows Update Service
If after following these above methods still, you are getting the error code 0x80070003 then proceed with these steps below:
- Firstly, with the help of both the Windows and the letter R key open the Run bar window. And for this, you need to tap both the keys at the same time.
- Then, on the Run bar type control and click on OK. Or alternatively, you can hit the Enter key, to get the Control Panel window open.
- Next, check the “View by” section on this window, is it set as “Large icons”. And if not then set it, by dropping down the menu arrow, which you see besides to it.
- Then, from the available options on this Control Panel window, left click on “Administrative Tools”.
- After that, from the available list click twice on the Services option, to get the window open.
- Under the Services window, search for “Windows Update”, by scrolling down the window. As you get it, check if the status is showing Running.
- And then, right-click on Windows Update and select the Stop option.
- Next, restart your system, to help this method to effect in solving this error.
- Further, open the Services window and get the Windows Update section by following step 1 to 6.
- And then, right-click on Windows Update and select Start.
- Now, proceed for the Windows updating task, hopefully, you will not see any problem in this time.
In case, if still, the error 0x80070003 is pop-up then try this further method for solving it.
Method 4: Remove DataStore and Download Folder Contents to Fix 0x80070003
After you have tried with all these aforesaid methods and still getting the error code 0x80070003 while proceeding with the Windows Update. Then, do not be upset, because it will not help you to get the error resolved. So, as a last try, you can proceed with this method:
- First of all, open the Windows Explorer window. And to do this, you need to press both the Windows and the letter E key at the same time.
- Then, click twice on your system drive, which is the C: drive as default.
- After that, from the available options, double-click on the Windows folder, to open it.
- Inside of this Windows folder, you will get a folder name as “SoftwareDistribution”, double click on it to open.
- Next, look for the “DataStore” folder, and click twice on it to open. Here, under this folder whatever be the files or folders are present, you need to delete it. And for deleting any folder or files the task is very simple. Only you need to right-click on it and then select the Delete option. In case during deleting the files or folder if the user account window gets open, which asks you to enter the administrative account and password. Then, enter the valid details and delete it from the “DataStore” folder.
- Then, return to the “SoftwareDistribution” folder and click twice on the “Download” folder, to open it. And remove all the contents which are present under it. Again the procedure to follow is the same as to delete the files and folders under “DataStore” folder.
Further Steps to fix the Error Code 0x80070003
As you have removed the contents from the DataStore and Download folders, now restart your computer and proceed further with these steps as below. Then follow with the next section of steps:
- Now, as the computer gets on, again activate the Windows search bar by a single press on the Windows key.
- After that, on the search bar type “control” and hit the Enter key, this will get you the Control Panel window open on the screen.
- Next, check the View by section, Is it is already set to Large icons or not? And if no, then make it by selecting the “Large icons” option after dropping down the menu list.
- Then on the Control Panel window, you will get an option as “Administrative Tools”, click on it.
- Next, among the available options under the Administrative Tools window, click twice on “Services”, this will help you to get the Services window open.
- Further, from these available Services options, search for Windows Update and then right-click on it. Next, from the pop-up list click on the “Start” option.
- Now, check that if you can download and install the Windows updates on your computer without an error message as 0x80070003. Hopefully, you can perform it.
If you find that along with the Windows Updating issue, you are going through the system slowing down the problem then most probably a virus attack can be the cause. If this is the case, then it is better to run a virus scan before starting any of these above methods. And the steps to follow is a little different according to the antivirus tool you are using. But most commonly the steps will be as follows:
- At first, you need to launch the antivirus tool whatever you are using.
- After that, from the Antivirus window search for the total system scan related option, and click on it.
- Then, select the Scan now option, to start the scanning process. It is recommended not to disturb in the middle of the scanning process so that the scan is done successfully.
Hopefully, after performing this task, you will get your system works normally without slowing down responses. After which, you can proceed to perform all these above methods to get rid of the error code 0x80070003.