Most users often try connecting an external monitor to their PC for the sole purpose of enjoying a larger display. This is especially preferable when you play games on a Windows 10 PC. On the other hand, it also helps in multi-tasking and increases productivity as well. Now, generally, adding another display is a pretty straightforward process. Yet, people often find difficulties with this process and encounter an annoying issue when Windows 10 won’t detect the second monitor. In case you are wondering what to do when you find the second monitor not detected Windows 10, we suggest you keep reading this content.
In this article, we have mainly focussed on three easy fixes which you can try to connect the second monitor to your Windows 10 PC. All you need to do is apply the procedures correctly and enjoy a larger and exciting display in no time.
What To Do If Display Not Detected Windows 10?
The monitor connection issue can be resolved by the following protocols:
- Hardware troubleshooting
- Updating Graphics Driver
We will now take a more in-depth look into each of the fixes.
Fix Monitor Connection Error With Hardware Troubleshooting
In case your Windows 10 computer won’t detect second monitor, execute the given steps in the specified order:
- Check the physical status of the cable that connects the display to your Windows 10 PC’s video port.
- In case the cable has any undetected faults, try using a different cable.
- If there are multiple inputs in the second monitor, make sure you are using the correct input.
- If you are using a high-definition display as the second monitor, it probably requires a firmware update. Also, there might be compatibility issues that you need to fix right away.
- Make sure that the second monitor’s input port and your device’s output port are in a working condition. You can try switching the ports and see if this fixes the issue.
- If none of the above steps work for you, try connecting the second monitor to some other device. This will clearly indicate if the problem lies with the monitor or with your Windows 10 computer.
In case this particular hack doesn’t resolve the connection error, you need to try some advanced fixes that are discussed next.
Configure Settings For Resolving The Connection Error
Now, this particular procedure can be applied for both wired and wireless displays albeit with a few tweaks.
For A Wired Second Monitor
- First, go to Settings and click on the System option.
- Then, click on Display and under “Select and rearrange displays,” you need to select the Detect button.
For A Wireless Display
To begin with, open Settings and click on Devices. After that, you need to click on “Bluetooth and other devices” followed by selecting “Add Bluetooth and other devices.” Next, click the “Wireless display or dock” option and confirm that your second display is discoverable. Finally, you need to select the display from the list that appears and continue with the on-screen instructions.
This process should ideally resolve the issue, and in case it doesn’t, the problem possibly lies with the graphics driver.
Update Graphics Driver To Resolve The Monitor Connection Error
The Windows 10 PC will not be able to detect the second monitor if there is a corrupt or outdated graphics driver. In this case, you can choose to update, reinstall or even roll back the graphics driver version. As updating the graphics driver generally troubleshoots the problem, we have elaborated that for your convenience.
- From Start, go to Device Manager and then expand the Display Adapters category.
- After right-clicking the device, you need to choose Update Driver and click on the “Search automatically for updated driver software” option.
After you are done with these steps, restart the computer and verify if it is now detecting the second monitor.
Hopefully, the solutions provided in this article will help you get rid of the problem. You can also try reinstalling the graphics driver or roll it back to an older version. Remember not to make any unnecessary changes as it might lead to further issues. In case nothing seems to work, consider seeking expert assistance.