The Windows Operating System installed within the hard drive of a system is a very crucial factor in running the computer. When the hard drive of the computer becomes corrupt or crashes due to bad sectors or any other reasons, then the data and the OS might get damaged also. Even, in some cases, the hard disk cannot be accessed at all. If there is a malicious program or code within the machine, then that can also ruin some of the components of the Windows OS. Thus for these reasons, there is a necessity for you to back up the OS. So that, if and when the OS gets corrupt, you have a back up ready, that you can install in your system and continue your work. Here, in this article, you will get guidance on how to backup Windows 10 OS.
What is Meant by a System Backup?
The process of backing up i.e. copying all the information of the Operating System, the state of the system and files are called system backup. In other words, the backup is a procedure to duplicate all the information present within the computer and put them in an external storage device. So, when the main storage device fails then the backup can be restored into the system.
Step by Step Guide on How to Backup Windows 10 OS
In this section of the article, you will get to know several methods that will help you to back up the Windows 10 Operating System.
Make the Windows 10 System Image via the Inbuilt Utility
In order to create a backup of the Windows 10 OS, there is an inbuilt tool ‘Backup and Restore’ present in your system. This tool is a quick and useful way to copy all the information of the Windows into a storage device. Follow the steps below carefully and make a backup on an external hard drive.
- First, right-click on the ‘Windows’ logo to open a popup ‘Menu’. Next, from that ‘Menu’, locate and then choose the option ‘Run’. This launches a new dialog box called ‘Run’.
- On this dialog box, enter the text “control panel” to the right side of the label ‘Open:’ and then click on the button ‘OK’. Now, a window will open up that has a name ‘Control Panel’.
- Within this window, there is a list that contains categories of computer settings, which you can change according to your wish. After that, locate and select the ‘System and Security’ category from the list.
- This opens a new page within the window, from where, navigate to the option ‘Backup and Restore’ and click on it. Next, another page will show up and here go to the left panel. Then from that panel, choose the link ‘Create System image’.
- At this moment, a new dialog box will come up with the name ‘Create a system image’. Within this dialog box, choose the option ‘On a hard disk’ to save the image of the system i.e the user profile information of the Windows 10 on an external hard drive.
- Then, after selecting the location, choose the ‘Next’ button at the bottom to initiate the process of creating a backup. This procedure can take several minutes to complete, so wait patiently.
- Once the backup creation process is over, take out the external drive and keep it at a safe place.
Using the Recovery Drive Tool Backup the System Files
Another process to backup Windows 10 OS is to use the program ‘Recovery Drive’. When the computer stumbles onto some kind of critical error, where it cannot start or if there is a need to reset it, then you require a recovery drive. This is a drive in which a copy of the working Windows environment gets stored. For that to happen, follow these steps below.
- First, press the ‘Cortana’ present to the right of ‘Windows’ logo. This opens up the search field. On this field, type the following text “recovery disk”. Then from the result of that search, choose the option ‘Create a recovery drive’.
- If you get a prompt from the ‘User Account Control’ then tap ‘Yes’. This will open a new window that has a heading ‘Recovery Drive’.
- Within this window, locate the option ‘Back up system files to the recovery drive.’ and put a checkmark within a box at the front.
- Now, make sure that there a flash drive inserted on the computer before you proceed further. After that, click the button ‘Next’.
- At this moment, the tool will look for the flash drive and make it ready to copy the system environment.
- When another page shows up which asks you to choose the USB device, then do it and press the ‘Next’ button.
- Then, a confirmation message will come up on the window that says all the files present in the USB drive will be deleted.
- Finally, press the ‘Create’ button, to initiate the creation of the recovery drive. This process takes some time so, wait patiently and let it complete.
Use a Reliable Application to Create a System Backup
This method is the last resort if the above two methods do not help you to back up your OS Windows 10. Here, you will get steps to backup Windows 10 via reliable software. In order to do that, follow the steps beneath.
- First, launch a web browser and then search for the reliable software that helps you to make a backup of the Windows OS on the internet.
- From the output of the search, find a reliable software that is free and popular. Then, visit the official website of that application and download the setup file.
- When the download process is over, then locate the setup file and double-click on it to open the installer window. Now, follow the instructions that come up on the window and accordingly install the application on the computer.
- Once the installation is complete, then go to the desktop and double-click on the reliable software icon to launch it.
- On the main window of the software, locate the button ‘System Backup’ or something like that and tap on it. Now, a new window comes up. In it, the software will detect the Operating System i.e. Windows 10 automatically.
- Next, provide the location of the drive (where the backup will be stored) on the ‘Destination’ field. Also, give the name of the plan on the ‘Plan Name’ area.
- After that, hit the button ‘Proceed’. As soon as you click on the Proceed button, immediately the backup process of the system file will begin.
- Finally, wait for this process to get over.
If the steps in the previous section are unable to properly guide you on how to backup Windows 10 OS, then do not panic. Just, mention your query on the comment section present at the bottom of this page.