While updating Windows OS, users often face error 80072EE2. Due to failure of Windows update server, this error code generally displays on the system screen. Normally, this error obtains the causes of Windows update failure or network traffic. Windows users are unable to do any kind of system update while occurring this error code.
Moreover, missing or damaged system files also responsible for this error code. In addition, when users use an incompatible device driver which is installed on their system, they might confront the Windows update error. Sometimes, due to malware or virus attack also lead you in this situation.
Well, here in this article, you can check out how you can fix the problem as early as possible. Hence, go through the article and get easy solutions to get rid of this situation instantly.
Accurate Solutions to Eradicate Error 80072EE2
If you are getting the error 80072EE2 while updating the Windows, you will find all the essential steps here to eliminate the error code. Simply, scroll to the section below to get all the necessary steps and fix the update error code 80072EE2 in Windows.
Fix 1: Edit the Registry Files
One of the best working hacks is to change the registry files and remove some of the unnecessary keys. If you are using a Windows home basic operating system, then this process is not applicable to them. Hence, follow the steps that are mentioned in the section below to eradicate the problem.
At first, press and hold the Windows key and R at the same time. It will open the Run dialog box. After that, type services.msc in the Run box and press the Enter button.
From the Service page, search for the Windows Update option. Right-click on that option and press Stop.
To fix the corruption, you need to stop the Windows Update option. After that, again open the Run window. And type, C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and to execute the command, press OK.
When the SoftwareDistribution folder open, select all the contents and delete them.
After that, return to the Service page. Now, right-click on the Windows Update option and press Start to work it in a normal condition.
Reopen the Run window and type regedit in the Run dialog box. It will directly lead you to the Registry Editor by browsing to the following path:
Now, select the WUServer and WUStatusServer key from the right panel of the screen. Then return to the Service page, and check the Windows Update service is running properly.
Once done, check the status of the error code.
Fix 2: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter Tool
To verify all the settings and registries of your device, the Windows Update Troubleshooter tool will help you to do that. You have to check them as per the requirement of the Windows update and then proposes the possible changes in order to eliminate the Windows update error 80072EE2.
Before running the tool, you need to ensure that you have an administrator account. After that, follow the following steps as described in the section below.
- At first, launch the Start menu by pressing the Windows key and S simultaneously. Then type troubleshoot in the search box and select the first option.
- Select Windows update from the troubleshooting menu. After that, hit the Run the Troubleshooter option. For Windows 7 users, open the option from the Control Panel option.
- Now, press the Try troubleshooting as an administrator option to identify the problem with your device. Once the fixes implemented, try to restart the system and check whether the problem gets resolved.
To apply the method, you need a stable internet connection to get a result.
Fix 3: Delete the Software Distribution folder
You will find SoftwareDistribution folder in the Windows directory. Basically, this is used to save the temporary system files which may be required to install the latest version of Windows update.
To proceed with this process, go through the steps that are mentioned in the given below.
- At the beginning of the process, press the Windows key and S at the same time and type command prompt in the search box. After that, hit the Enter button. Right click on the Command Prompt option and select Run as administrator option from the list.
- In the command box, enter the following command one-by-one and press the Enter button each time.
First Command: net stop cryptSvc
Second Command: net stop wuauserv
Third Command: net stop msiserver
Forth Command: net stop bits
- After that, head over the Windows Update Directory and remove all the files that are present there. Then, expand the File Explorer option and apply the below-mentioned steps.
- Thereafter, move to the following address
- After that, delete all the data and files inside the SoftwareDistribution section. Once you have done, turn on the Windows Update service again and open it. Next, you need to start the service that you have stopped in the previous section.
- Run the elevated Command Prompt and enter the following command and execute them one by one.
First Command: net start cryptSvc
Second Command: net start wuauserv
Third Command: net start msiserver
Forth Command: net start bits
- After successfully start the services, restart the system and try to update the Windows and check whether the error still exists or not.
Fix 4: Resetting the Windows Update Module Completely
After applying the above-mentioned steps, if you are unable to solve the Windows update error 80072EE2, then you need to reset the Windows Update module forcefully. To apply the steps first, open a Command Prompt and select the Run as Administrator option from the list.
After that, try to execute the following command and hit the Enter button each time.
First Command: net stop wuauserv
Second Command: cd %systemroot%
Third Command: ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Forth Command: net start wuauserv
Fifth Command: net stop bits
Sixth Command: net start bits
Seventh Command: net stop cryptsvc
Eighth Command: cd %systemroot%\system32
Ninth Command: ren catroot2 catroot2.old
Tenth Command: net start cryptsvc
Eleventh Command: regsvr32 Softpub.dll /s
Twelfth Command: regsvr32 Wintrust.dll /s
Thirteen Command: regsvr32 Initpki.dll /s
Fourteen Command: regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s
Once executing all the above-mentioned command, restart the system and check the status of the error code 80072EE2.
Fix 5: Conduct an SFC Scan
Another inbuilt Windows tool SFC that you can use to resolve the error 80072EE2. System File Checker is a tool which helps you to scan the system and identify the corrupted system files of Windows. To run the tool, you need to perform the steps given underneath.
- At first, move to the Start menu and type cmd in the search bar to open a Command Prompt window. Then, type sfc/scannow in the command box and hit the Enter button. Wait until the process gets finished.
- After that, you will be prompted on scanning the system. Then, to proceed further you need to follow the on-screen instructions.
Now, check if the error still occurs or not.
On the Whole
Hope, we have read the article properly and apply them accordingly in order to fix the Windows update error 80072EE2. All the steps described in the early section are proven and effective.
Try to execute them as mentioned and eliminate the error code quickly. Furthermore, if you have any confusion regarding the mentioned steps, you can post them in the section below.