While using the Xbox One Wireless Controller in order to operate the Microsoft Xbox One console, several users reported facing minor glitches. The controllers might fail to work properly due to abrupt hardware malfunction.
Further, if the controller’s battery is drained out or if it is out of range then it might fail to function. There are several reasons that might trigger problems with the controller. Thus, here you get to know the effective methods to get rid of real-time problems.
Possible Reasons if Xbox One not Functioning Properly
Xbox One controller is designed to operate the console within a range of 19 feet. But, if it is out of range then it will not be able to function properly.
- Devices like laptops, desktops, wireless router, mobile phones, microwaves can interfere with the controller’s wireless connection.
- If you have connected 8 wireless controllers then trying to one more controller will prevent it from working.
- Sometimes, metallic objects placed in front of the Xbox One console can interfere with the connection between the console and its wireless console.
6 Procedures on How to Fix an Xbox One Controller
Here, we have listed the easiest methods through which you can troubleshoot all the problems that you are having with your Xbox One controller.
Solution 1- Replace the Xbox One Controller batteries
If your Microsoft Xbox One controllers are not turning on then it may be possible that its batteries are dead. You can easily fix this issue by replacing the batteries.
For this just remove the back cover of the controller and replace the two AA batteries with a new set and put the cover back on. Now, check whether the controllers are turning on or not. If it is on but still not operating the Xbox One console properly then the fault lies somewhere else.
Thus, apply the next solution to resolve the issue.
Solution 2- Restart the Xbox One
If your Xbox One controllers are not turning on even after changing the batteries then try this method. For rebooting the Xbox One console controllers completely you need to follow the given below steps:
- To turn off the Xbox One console completely, you need to press and hold the power button for 10 seconds (present at the front of the system).
- Now, unplug the power cable of your Xbox One console and wait for a few minutes.
- Use a micro cable which is in good working condition and connect the controller to the system.
- Once again plug in your Xbox One and turn the device on by pressing the Power button. Keep in mind that you should not press any button on the controller until the Xbox One restarts completely.
- Try to turn on the Xbox One controllers and see if it is working.
Solution 3- Stop the Blinking of Xbox One Controller
If you may note that the device is constantly flashing or blinking but not working. This generally implies that the controller is not paired with your Xbox One console. This happens when you mistakenly pair the Xbox One controller to some other system.
To sync the primary controller with your Xbox One console you need to follow these steps:
- If you have tried pairing your controllers with the console using the buttons, then this time, use a micro USB cable to serve the purpose.
- Take a micro USB cable of a good working condition and insert it into the USB port of the Xbox One console.
- Now, take the other end of the micro USB cable and plug it to the Xbox One controller.
- Finally, press and hold the Xbox button for a few seconds. This button is usually present at the front of the system.
The controller should be paired with your Xbox One console by now. Check if the controllers are working properly or not. If still the problem persists, move on to the next fix.
Solution 4- Look for defective Cables
Sometimes the Xbox One controller does not work properly because of hardware defects. You need to check if there is any defective cable attached to the console or the controller.
These cables can be the Power cable or the charging micro USB cable. These cables can be damaged or burnt from the inside so you will not be able to know if it is defective just by seeing it from outside.
For that, you need to connect that cable with some other device to check whether it is working or not. If it is not working then the problem lies in the cable and you must replace it immediately.
Solution 5- Resolve the Xbox One Controller Firmware Problems
The Xbox One controller solely relies on the firmware to function and operate the Xbox One console properly. If you suddenly turn off your Xbox One console while the firmware was updating then it might be the reason why your controllers are not working properly.
In addition to this if the firmware gets corrupted then also it can lead to this issue. You can fix this problem by updating and installing the latest version of firmware supported by your Xbox One on your controller.
Steps to update the firmware of Xbox One console are as follows:
- Use a good quality cable and use it to connect your controller to the Xbox One console.
- Now, press the Guide button with the help of a functional Xbox One controller.
- Next, go to System and navigate to the Settings option.
- After that select the “Kinect and Devices” tab under the Settings tab. Choose the “Devices and Accessories” tab.
- Now, see if the controller which is having the problem is present in the list of connected controllers.
- Next, go to “Update required” and select the Update Now tab.
After completing all the above-mentioned steps, the Xbox One Firmware update process will start.
Solution 6- Remove Connected Xbox Accessories
If you have connected Xbox One accessories to your Console other than the Xbox One controller then it might interfere in the connection. Accessories like keyboard, external hard drive, Stereo headset adaptor, etc, can induce connection issues.
To refrain from this, you can remove these accessories and detach them from the system. Once you have removed all the other accessories, reconnect your Xbox One controller and it will start working as before.
Hopefully, after implementing the steps now you can play games on your Xbox One gaming console without any further hassle.