Many users are struggling with ‘AOL won’t open’ issue and hence are willing to know the actual fixes. Thus, we have throw light upon this issue in this article and tried to find a way out. Firstly, AOL mail might not open if your computer or device is not properly connected to a network. Similarly, the network might fail to support your AOL app if too many wireless devices are accessing it.
Secondly, the browser in which you are trying to access AOL might not be up to date. On the other hand, an outdated Operating System won’t let AOL open on your device. Make sure that the Flight Mode is not enabled on your device.
Moreover, ensure that you are entering the correct password of your AOL account. You won’t be able to log in to your AOL account after too many attempts of entering the password.
Solutions to Resolve why AOL won’t Open
Try to sign in to AOL after a few minutes because the server might be temporarily down or under maintenance. If the problem still persists, then follow the solutions mentioned below.
Solution 1: Update the Browser
The process will vary depending on the device you are working in.
On Android Devices and Tablet
- Go to the PlayStore App and tap the ‘Menu’ icon.
- Choose ‘My Apps and Games’ and tap the ‘Update’ button to get the available updates.
- Look for the browser you are using and tap the ‘Update’ button again to update it to its latest version.
On Desktop and Laptops
- Open Chrome on your PC and tap the ‘More’ icon to check the color of the icon.
- A green color indicates that an update is available for 2 days. Similarly, orange color indicates the availability of an update for 4 days and a red color states that the update is available for a period of 7 days.
- So, click the ‘Update Google Chrome’ link if you are using Chrome or else choose another browser.
- Then, tap the ‘Relaunch’ tab to launch the latest version of the browser on your PC.
Solution 2: Update the Windows Operating System
- Open the ‘Control Panel’ and select ‘Windows Update.’
- Windows scan for updates and show you the list of pending updates.
- Install all the updates manually or let Windows install them automatically.
- After installing an update, you may get access to other updates which are dependent on this particular update.
- Install the other sets of updates also.
- You may require to reboot your computer after each update.
- After the update process gets over, select ‘Windows Update’ once again to check that there is no pending update.
Solution 3: Update the AOL Mail
Again, the procedure is different on different devices.
On Android Devices
Go to the Play Store App and tap the ‘Menu’ icon. Choose ‘My Apps and Games’ and tap the ‘Update’ button to get the available updates. Select AOL you and tap the ‘Update’ button again to update it to its latest version.
Open AOL on your PC and tap the ‘More’ icon to check the color of the icon. Click on the ‘Menu’ icon and tap the ‘Update’ button to know whether an update is available or not. If an update is available, then tap the ‘Update’ button to get that on your PC.
Solution 4: Recheck the Password
Open AOL in another browser or in the incognito mode. Then, recheck the password before login to your AOL account. Otherwise, you won’t be able to log into your account.
Solution 5: Clear the Browser’s Cache
It is essential to clear the browser cache periodically. Otherwise, the data stored in the browser cache might interrupt your browsing operation. So, clear your browser cache data by the following process.
Open Google Chrome and enter ‘Chrome://settings/clearBrowserData’ in the URL bar. Navigate to the ‘Clear the following items’ section and select all the checkboxes. After that, tap ‘Clear Browsing Data’ box to clear all browser cache data.
- Open Firefox, go to ‘menu’ and choose ‘History.’
- Choose ‘Clear Recent History’ to clear your recent browsing history.
- If the menu bar is not visible, then press ‘Alt’ on your keyboard to see it.
- Then, choose the ‘Time range to clear’ option and click on the drop-down arrow to expand it.
- Select the desired range for which you would like to delete your browsing history.
- Choose ‘Everything’ in order to delete the entire cache.
- At last, tap the ‘Clear Now’ button to delete the selected items.
- Close all Firefox windows and reopen the browser to access your AOL account.
- Now, compose an email and see whether it can reach the specified recipient or not.
- Go to Internet Explorer and click ‘Tools’ from ‘Menu.’
- Now, click ‘Safety’ and select ‘Delete browsing history’ to see your browsing history till now.
- Uncheck the boxes for ‘Preserve Favorites website data,’ ‘Cookies,’ and ‘Temporary Internet files.’
- Tap on the ‘Delete’ button below to delete the selected items.
- Click ‘OK’ on the confirmation popup.
- Windows will display a confirmation message if it has successfully cleared all cache and cookies.
Alternatively, you can press ‘Ctrl, Shift’, and Delete’ keys together to delete the entire browsing history directly.
Solution 6: Disable Firewall or Antivirus
Firewall and some antivirus have often been found to conflict with several programs. Thus, we would ask you to disable these programs to check whether they were stopping AOL from opening or not.
- Open Control Panel and go to the ‘System and Security’ section.
- Choose Windows Firewall and select ‘Network and Sharing Center’.
- Move your way to the ‘View your active networks’ section and check ‘Your network location’ option.
- Return to the Control Panel and choose Windows Firewall again.
- Click the ‘Turn Windows Firewall on or off’ option and choose ‘Turn off Windows Firewall for your network location’.
- Tap the ‘OK’ button to save the changes.
Some antiviruses seem to conflict with programs and applications. Thus, the antivirus application installed on your PC might not support AOL and prevent it from opening.
- So, enter the Control Panel in the search bar and open it on your PC.
- Then, click ‘Programs’ and click ‘Uninstall a program’ link under it.
- Find out the antivirus, right-click on it and choose ‘Uninstall.’
- Click ‘OK’ on the confirmation dialog box and wait for the successful uninstallation of the software.
- After receiving a confirmation message, restart your PC and access your AOL account.
- Send an email and check whether it is causing the same error or not.
After disabling both the Firewall and antivirus, log into your AOL account to check whether you have resolved the ‘AOL mail won’t open’ issue or not.
Solution 7: Disable Extensions
Many users have reported that disabling the extensions have fixed their AOL issue. Thus, we would also recommend you to try out this solution once. We have discussed this solution separately for Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer.
- Open Firefox web browser and click the ‘Menu’ icon at the top-left corner of the window and choose ‘Add-ons.’
- Windows XP users go to the ‘Menu’ bar and click ‘Tools’ to choose ‘Add-ons’ under it.
- Tap on ‘Extensions’ to view extensions and ‘Plugins’ to view plugins installed on your PC.
- Select one extension at a time and tap the ‘Disable’ button.
- Do the same, to disable Plugins plugins as well.
- Then, select all add-ons individually and tap the ‘Disable’ button to remove them from your PC.
- Launch the browser, tap the ‘Menu’ icon and choose ‘More Tools.’
- Now, select ‘Extensions’ to view the installed extensions on your PC.
- Uncheck the ‘Enabled’ box next to a particular extension to disable it or click the ‘Trash’ icon to delete it.
- Type ‘chrome://plugins’ in the address bar and press ‘Enter’ to view the plugins installed for your browser.
- Then, choose a plugin and tap the ‘Disable’ button under it in order to disable it on your browser.
- Use the same process to disable the remaining plugins as well.
Alternatively, you can open a new tab on Chrome and enter ‘://extensions/’ into the address bar to disable the extensions automatically.
Internet Explorer 10
- Open Internet Explorer and click the ‘Tools’ icon under ‘Menu.’
- Tap on ‘Manage add-ons’ and select ‘Add-ons’ to get a list of add-ons available for your PC.
- Select an add-on and tap the ‘Disable’ button next to it.
- It disables the particular add-on on your web browser.
Hope, one of the seven solutions will work for you and resolve the ‘AOL won’t open’ issue permanently.