While trying to run DISM on Windows 10, many users get DISM error 87. Not only Windows 10, but the problem also appeared in the previous version of Windows.
The most common reason is if you do not enter the command line properly, then the error code appears on your Windows 10 device. Another reason can be that if the version of the DISM tool is not compatible with your device or when the DISM tool is in an operating state and the DISM tool scan your device, then this problem appears.
Apart from this, if you tried to run the command in a regular Command Prompt window, then the error code appears on the system screen.
If you are getting the same error code when you try to run the DISM tool and looking for a way to get rid of this situation, then go through the below section.
Exceptional Ways to Resolve DISM Error Code 87:
Simply apply the steps in order to eliminate the DISM error code 87.
Method 1: With the Help of the Correct Spacing
The most common reason for this error to occur is when you give incorrect space while typing the command. Therefore, you need to be very conscious while typing the command.
Instead of typing “DISM.exe/Online/Cleanup-image/Scanhealth“, type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth.
This is the proper type. You can copy it and paste it on the Command Prompt window. Then you will not encounter any problem and the DISM will work scan properly your device.
If this is not the problem, then move to the next section.
Method 2: Using an Elevated Command Prompt
If you fail to open the Command Prompt properly, there is a high chance that you will confront error code 87. In case, if you don’t open the Command Prompt as an Administrator, then also the problem might appear.
Therefore, launch the DISM tool through the command box, then open a Command Prompt as an admin.
To open it as an administrator, follow the steps mentioned in the section below.
- First of all, press the Windows key and R key at the same time to launch the Run dialog box. Also, you can launch the Run window by pressing the Ctrl + Shift + Enter button together.
- Now, type ‘cmd’ in the Run window. Then the UAC or User Account Control section will prompt on the system screen. Then, select the Yes option to grant administrative privileges.
- Finally, type the command in the Command Prompt window and hit the Enter button to execute the command.
If this method is also not able to resolve the problem, then move to the next section.
Method 3: Install Every Pending Windows Update
A certain number of people have reported that the problem might appear when there is any pending Windows update. Therefore, the easiest solution is to update the pending Windows update. To perform so, follow the steps listed below.
- First of all, press the Windows key and R keys simultaneously to launch the Run dialog box. After that, type “ms-settings:windowsupdate” in the Run window and hit the Enter button. Due to this, you will be moved to the Windows Updates under the Settings section.
- After that, click on the Check for Updates option under the Windows Update section. Then follow the on-screen instructions to update every pending update.
- It will take some time to complete the updated process, restart the device. Now, try to launch the DISM tool and check the status of the error code.
Method 4: Using the Windows 10 Version of DISM (If applicable)
If you are using a wrong version of the DISM tool which is not compatible with your device, then also the problem appears.
Most of the users get exactly the same situation. Thus, they have reported that when they started to use the latest version of the DISM tool, the problem no longer appears on their device.
Hence, it is advisable to use the DISM tool which is compatible with your device.
Method 5: Perform a Repair Install
If the above methods are not sufficient to resolve the problem, then the problem might appear due to the corrupted files which are present in the DISM.
Therefore, a clean install is always a better option. But in this case, you might lose the data stored on your device. After performing a repair install, you will no longer get the error code again.
Hopefully, you have read all the methods carefully and apply them accordingly to eradicate DISM error 87.