Once you encounter error 651 on your Windows device, then don’t worry. This is mainly a connection failed error which you can encounter while your device fails to connect. There are more than one reason why you can come across this error and you can also resolve it using several methods. If you have already faced this error and want to resolve it, then follow this article. Here, we have discussed the effective fixes for resolving this connection failed error with 651 code in quick and easy steps.
Causes for Connection Error 651
There are more than one causes, due to which you can encounter this particular error with your device. We have listed some of the more common reasons below.
- In case, you are trying to connect your device using the PPPoE connection, you may face this error.
- A wrong configuration of the internet is another cause of this 651 error.
- Again, you can encounter this error due to driver issue as well.
So, after learning the causes, now, let’s focus on the solutions to fix this particular error on your own.
Fixes for Error 651
There are more than one fixes using which you will be able to resolve this error without any hassle. On that note, try to follow the methods discussed below, one by one, until the problem gets fixed.
Method 1: Restart your Computer and Modem
Once you encounter this error on your device, you can restart your computer and the modem to resolve this error, using these steps:
- At first, you have to turn off your computer. But before that, you have to be sure that you have saved all your current work before you shut down your system.
- After that, you have to turn off your modem and unplug it from the power outlet.
- Once done, you have to unplug your device from the power outlet.
- Now, you need to wait for some time and reconnect it correctly with your modem and your computer.
- After that, you have to re-plug your modem and the computer to the power source and turn it on.
- Next, you have to turn on your PC.
After completing these steps, try to check the status of the error. If it persists then try to follow the next method as mentioned.
Method 2: Update Network Driver
In case, you are using an outdated network driver, then also you can encounter this error on your device. Try to follow these steps provided to update the network drivers.
- First, click on the Start button.
- After that, you have to go to the search bar.
- In the search bar, you have to search for “update device drivers”.
- You will see several search results. From it, you have to choose the first one.
- After that, you will be able to navigate to a new window and the list of installed drivers in your device will show there.
- From it, you have to choose your network driver and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation process.
After the installation process is complete, you need to check the status of this 651 error. If it persists, then try to follow the alternative method mentioned below.
Method 3: Troubleshoot Network and Sharing Settings
You can also encounter this error, due to some incompatibility present in your network. In that case, you can troubleshoot it in two ways.
Way 1: Disable IPv6
You can resolve this error by disabling the IPv6 from your modem. Try to follow these steps:
- At first, right click on the internet icon situated at the bottom right corner of your computer screen.
- Now, you have to tap on the Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Once done, click on Change adapter settings.
- After that, right click on your network connection and tap on the Properties option.
- Once done, uncheck the box against Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).
- Now, you have to tap on the OK button to save the changes.
- After completing these steps, you have to check the network and the status of the error.
In case, this method doesn’t resolve this error, you can try out the second way.
Way 2: Create a New Dial Up Connection
In case, your modem is not properly set to bridged mode, you can try to create a new dial-up connection to resolve this connection error 651. If you already have a dial up connection, then you can create a copy in order to solve this error.
- At first, right click on the internet icon situated at the bottom right corner of your computer screen, and navigate to the Network and Sharing Center.
- After that, click on the Change adapter settings option.
- After that, right click on the dialup connection followed by Create Copy.
- Once done, right click on the original dial up connection and tap on the delete option.
- Now, you have to try to connect to the network again and see if this method works or not.
In case, you are trying to connect to this network, you have to create a dial up connection for it. In that case, try to follow these steps:
- At first, right click on the Internet icon which is situated at the bottom right corner of your computer screen. Now, you have to tap on the Open Network and Sharing Center option.
- Once done, tap on the Set up a new connection or network option.
- After that, you have to tap on the Connect to the Internet in the popup wizard, and tap on Next to continue.
- Once done, you have to choose Set up a new connection anyway.
- Now, you have to choose Broadband (PPPoE).
- After that, you have to enter the username as well as the password which is provided by your Internet service provider and tap on the Connect option.
If this method does not work for you, then you have to follow the next method to resolve this error 651.
Method 4: Reset TCP/IP
In order to resolve this error, you can also try to reset the TCP/IP in order to reconnect to the Windows network stack. Try to follow these steps:
- At first, you have to type cmd in the search box of the taskbar. Once done, right click on the command prompt or cmd as the case may be, and select run as administrator.
- After that, you have to tap on Yes to confirm.
- Now, you have to copy the command netsh int ip reset reset.log and paste it in your command prompt and press Enter to continue.
- After the command completes its procedure, you have to restart your PC and try to connect it again.
If the error persists, try to follow the next method mentioned below to fix the error 651 on your Windows PC.
Method 5: Turn Off Auto Tuning Feature
You can also turn off the autotuning feature to resolve this error on your own. In that case, try to follow the steps mentioned below.
- At first, you have to locate the search box and type cmd in it. After that, right click on the command prompt. If you are using Windows 7, you have to place a right click on the cmd to choose it as Run as administrator. After that, you have to tap on Yes to confirm.
- After that, you have to copy the command Netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled and paste it in the command prompt and hit Enter to continue.
- Once this command finishes its task, try to check the internet connection. This time, you will be able to resolve this error.
Here, in this article, we have provided a step by step guide using which you will be able to resolve the error 651 without any hassle. Try to follow each and every step carefully. In case, you encounter any kind of glitches while performing these steps, then you can leave a comment in the comment section as your feedback.