Fallout 4 is a popular game with some of the best gunplay and action. The landscape and scenery present in the game are highly detailed and quite attractive. However, it doesn’t stop gamers and modders from scripting it. Scripting is the method of changing the in-game elements either for own advantage or to add new things. For this, the Fallout 4 Script Extender is used. Also known as f4se or FOSE, it is a modder resource that has been developed and maintained by a gaming community. In some cases, users may find that the f4se is not working.
With this problem, the game crashes when they try to launch the application. This can be caused due to various reasons. Some of the most common causes include the following.
- Game updates – Generally, developers of the game do not like anyone modding their content. Therefore, they try to prevent this by releasing game updates. Thus, it may prevent f4se from working normally.
- Conflicts from Mods – Sometimes, f4se may stop working if outdated and other mods that are present in your device.
- System Incompatibility – Other times the, this problem might occur if f4se is somehow incompatible with your system version. This might happen due to a recent Windows update or game update.
- Missing Files – This is another reason behind the cause of f4se not working. All files must be present in the game directory for it to work normally.
- Firewall Restrictions – Conflicts from Firewall or Antivirus programs can cause the application to stop working as well.
- Corrupted Plugins – Similar to conflicting mods, a corrupted plugin can prevent f4se from working too.
Fix f4se not Working with Easy Solutions
After knowing the reasons, here are some effective ways to try and resolve this problem. Thus, go through the following section one by one until your problem is fixed.
Solution 1 – Update the f4se application
As stated earlier, developers do not support any kind of third party modding. This is one of the reasons why the game gets updated on a periodical basis. To combat this, the gaming community updates its f4se application as well. Therefore, go through the following steps to do the same.
- Open a browser and download the latest version of f4se application from its community website. Alternatively, you can simply visit https://f4se.silverlock.org and find the latest version.
- Double click on the downloaded file and extract “f4se_1_10_120.dll”, ”f4se_loader.exe”, and “f4se_steam_loader.dll” file in the game directory. Do not extract it in the data folder. It is important that the files are extracted in the main game folder.
- There, run the “f4se_loader.exe” file and check if there is a f4se folder in the game data folder. Thereafter, launch the game using the normal launcher and check if the issue has been resolved.
Note – Generally the default path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout 4\
Solution 2 – Disable Conflicting Mods
The presence of different conflicting mods in your system might cause this problem. The fs4e application can conflict with other applications conflicts as it becomes outdated or there are other malfunctions. Different versions of both the application and the mod files may coincide. Therefore, you need to follow the steps given below to fix it accordingly.
- Launch the Nexus Mod Manager on your device.
- Then, find and select the mod which is not supported by NMM and remove it.
- Similarly, disable all the mods with similar properties that are present and then try to run the game.
You may get to know whether the mods were causing the issue if the game launches after disabling the mods. Thereafter, update the mods and try to launch the game once again. Check if the issue has been resolved or not.
Solution 3 – Use Troubleshooter
F4se might not be working due to an incompatibility issue with the operating system. Thus, you can run the compatibility troubleshooter to fix this issue. Go through the following steps mentioned below.
- Navigate to the directory where Fallout 4 has been installed. Here, select the f4se_loader.exe and right click on it. Select Properties from the list of options.
- Now, go to the compatibility tab from the tab that will appear on your screen.
- From there, click on the “Run compatibility troubleshooter” button. Wait until the troubleshooting process completes.
This will automatically detect the reason for the f4se_loader.exe issue and give a specific remedy for the application. After you try the remedies, launch the game again and check if still the issue still occurs.
Solution 4 – Delete or Remove Plugins
Sometimes, corrupted plugins can be the reason behind f4se not working. Hence, deleting these plugins should help you to resolve the problem. Steps for doing this have been given below.
- Go to the game’s file location and open the Fallout 4 installation folder. Generally, you will find the folder in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout 4\
- Here, navigate to ‘Data > f4se > Plugins’ folder.
- Now, select all the files in this folder and delete them.
- Thereafter, download the f4se application again and install it. Reinstallation of f4se is an important process so it should not be ignored.
Lastly, run the f4se_loader.exe file and check if the problem is still preventing Fallout 4 from launching.
Solution 5 – Change or Disable Windows Firewall
Granting network access to the Fallout 4 game is crucial for playing it. However, firewall can prevent the game from launching. As a result, f4se will stop working as well. Thus, go through the following steps to either change or disable Windows Firewall settings.
- Select the Settings option from the start menu tab. From there, select Updates and Security option.
- Now, head over to the Windows Security option at the left hand side panel of the tab that opens. Select the Firewall and network protection tab.
- Search for ‘Allow an app through firewall’ option. Click on it and enter the change settings option.
- Now, you need to grant both private and public network permission to all the applications that are related to Fallout 4 game.
- After you have done the above steps, click on ok and save your settings.
Now run the game again and check if still, the problem remains or not. In case the problem still persists, you can try to disable Windows Firewall by choosing the ‘Turn Firewall On or Off’ option from the left menu pane.
Finally, these solutions should help you to resolve f4se from not working. As a last resort, you can try to reinstall the game to get rid of the issue. Make sure that you follow all the steps accordingly and correctly.