Many laptops or desktop users like to take screenshots as it enables them to communicate with the other persons graphically over the internet. Not only that, but this also helps the users to save a copy of a web page or anything important with just a single click. Print screen is the function which is popular with the users, as with this they can capture what they can see on their desktop and can paste it anywhere.
But, there are some users who fail to use this function on their PC or laptop. If you are one of those unlucky persons who are coming across this print screen not working error, then you have reached the right place. In this article, you will get to know the most effective ways to eliminate this error from your device.
Convenient Methods to Overcome Print Screen Not Working Issue:
There can be numerous reasons which can give rise to this print screen not working problem. Some of the prevalent reasons are interference with third-party programs, installation of incorrect keyboard drivers, etc.
But whatever be the reason, you can overcome this issue by following some easy-to-apply methods. So take a look below to know about them in detail.
Method 1: Stop the Running of Background Programs
There are many background programs which often restricts the users from taking screenshots on your PC and thus causes problems. Some of such programs are Snippet tool, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. This is because these programs consist of features which conflict with the Windows functionality and override them. Thus, it gives rise to print screen not working issue.
So, what you need to do is you should try closing each of these programs one by one. Whenever you close a program, you should check every time to know the actual reason behind this issue. Once you succeed in detecting the application which is responsible, then you can easily close it while using the Print screen function on your laptop or PC.
Method 2: Check Whether Print Screen is Used Properly and Correctly
Nowadays, in most of the laptops, it has been found that before using the print screen function, you need to press an additional button “Fn” key. Therefore, you should press that key and after that, press the Print screen button to take a screenshot in your device. But, this Fn button might be different on the basis of the manufacturer of the device. So, you should look around to find the one meant for your device on your keyboard.
Even there are cases when your laptop was manufactured in some other country but you are using the default English keyboard. In such a situation, you need to check, at first whether all the keys present on your keyboard are in sync when you click on them. If it correctly represents the key, then it’s fine but if you find any difference, then you should press any other key and try to look for the actual print screen button. This solution will definitely help you in solving the print screen button not working problem.
Method 3: Update the Drivers of the Keyboard
One of the prominent causes which led to print screen not working issue is the incorrect keyboard drivers. Usually, this problem appears in the laptops where you need to install the proper drivers for your keyboard, so that, all the keys work properly.
For updating your keyboard’s drivers, you should go to the manufacturer’s website. From there, you need to download updated version of your keyboard’s drivers accordingly. Then, proceed on with the later part of the solutions:
- You need to save the downloaded driver to an accessible location.
- Then, right-click on the Windows key. From the available list of options, you should select Device Manager. You can also launch the Device Manager by pressing the Windows + R key. This will open the Run application and there you have to type “devmgmt.msc”.
- This will open a new window where you have to choose whether you want to update the driver manually or automatically.
- Then, select the “Browse my computer for driver software” option.
- After that, you need to right-click on the computer and select the “Update Driver” option.
- Then, navigate through the folder where you have downloaded the updated drivers.
- Once you find it, then select it and Windows will now automatically install the required drivers.
Finally, you need to restart your computer and check whether the print screen not working Windows 10 issue is resolved.
Some Alternatives that you can Try if Print Screen Not Working:
If you find that the above solutions won’t work for you, then you can try some alternatives too. Listed below we have mentioned some of the most reliable and convenient alternatives that you can easily opt for:
- Snipping Tool- This in-built tool comes with Windows and it provides great functionality. This is because by using this tool, you can select the specific portion of the screen that you want to capture and can save it specifically. You can easily launch this tool by pressing Windows and S together and there type “snipping tool”. This will open the application and you can seamlessly use it.
- Press Windows and Print Screen together- If you press Windows and print screen together, then it will automatically capture the screen which is showing on the screen. Moreover, it will also store the PNG file to Screenshots or Pictures. This is undoubtedly one of the best ways to capture the current screen instantly and save it one by one. In the case of laptops, you have to press Windows Key + Print screen + Fn.
However, all these above-mentioned workarounds are the best when it comes to resolving the print screen not working issue. Hopefully, by applying the above methods carefully, you will be able to overcome this technical glitch very soon. Besides, if you are still facing this issue, then you can get in touch with a professional to fix this issue in the best way possible.