Quickbooks is a popular accounting software for desktops. It is widely used by small and medium scale enterprises. Multi-user mode is one of the main features of this software. However, people often face QuickBooks error H202 while using this feature.
There are a number of causes for this error which we will discuss below. It hampers the functioning of the software.
What is QuickBooks Error Code H202?
The QuickBooks error code H202 occurs when the multi-user mode fails to function. This function helps a computer to share its company files with other computers in the network.
Thus, the computer sharing the company file becomes the host computer. All the other computers in the network will become workstations.
Generally, this error is caused when a computer is not able to access the company file from the host computer. Therefore, the QuickBooks error H202 will display a connection problem with the server.
Before we try to fix this error, let us first understand its causes.
What Causes the Quickbooks Error H202?
There are many reasons for the QuickBooks error H202 to be displayed. Connection issues are the primary causes of this error.
Other possible causes for this error are –
- Connection blocked by an Antivirus software or Firewall
- Misconfigured Hosting settings or wrong IP address of the host computer
- Wrongly configured DNS settings
- Damaged .TLG or .ND files of the software
- Wrong Port information entered in connection settings
How to Fix QuickBooks Error H202?
You can easily fix QuickBooks error H202 by following the instructions given below. Several methods have been shared. One of these could easily fix your error.
Solution 1 – Check your Network Connectivity
Before you try any of the other solutions, you need to check your internet connection. A failed internet connection will display the QuickBooks error H202.
Follow the given steps to do a network connectivity check. Furthermore, do this for all the computers running the QuickBooks accounting software.
- First, go to the hosting computer. Press the Start button and type ‘network’. Choose the Network option.
- Here, verify that all the computers are connected to the host computer.
- Next, press the Windows button and the letter ‘R’ at the same time. Type ‘cmd’ in the Run box that opens and click on Ok or press Enter.
- Take a note of all the IP addresses of your networked computers. You can do this by running command prompt and typing ‘ipconfig /all’ on each computer. Their IP address will be listed beside ‘IPv4’.
- Go to the command prompt window of the host computer. Type ‘ping [computer’s IP]’. For instance, if the IP address of the computer is 243.54.54.23, then your command will be ‘ping 243.54.54.23’. Press Enter.
- Check if there are any losses in sending data packets. Ping the host computer’s IP address as well.
Contact your ISP in case of network issues. They can easily resolve problems with internet connectivity in no time.
Solution 2 – Download and Run QuickBooks Troubleshooting Tools
QuickBooks offers a number of tools to troubleshoot such errors. You find the following tools on their official website.
- QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Download and install the above tools. Run the Diagnostics tools first.
- Open the tool and select your company file. Run a scan.
- Next, run the Server Manager tool. Follow the instructions and execute the process.
- Select and browse the location folder of the company files. The manager will automatically fix the firewall settings.
Solution 3 – Create a Firewall Exception for QuickBooks
Sometimes, the troubleshooting tools may not be able to completely fix your firewall settings. Thus, the QuickBooks error H202 may still be displayed.
You can manually set up a firewall exception by following these steps.
- Click on the Start button. Type ‘firewall’ in the search bar. Select the Windows Firewall option under Control Panel.
- Click on Advanced Setting on the left-hand pane. Choose the Inbound rules and select Rule Type.
- Below, you will see an option for ‘Specific Local Ports’. Click on the text field and enter the following according to your software version. You can simply copy and paste the port numbers from the list.
- QuickBooks 2016 – 8019, 56726, 55368-55372
- 2017 – 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
- 2018 – 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
- 2019 – There are no port numbers for this version. The database manager tool will automatically fix it for you.
Solution 4 – Add QuickBooks Server Info in Windows Host File
The Windows Host file contains a list of IP addresses for connectivity. You can manually enter the QuickBooks server info if the firewall exception method didn’t work.
You can do this by following these steps.
- Press the Windows logo button and type ‘cmd’ in the search bar.
- Now, find the IP address of the host computer. You can do this by typing ‘ipconfig /all’. The IP address will be found next to ‘IPv4’. Note this down.
- Go to C: and navigate to the Windows Folder. Scroll down and open the System32 folder.
- Next, open the Driver folder and navigate to Etc. Here, locate a file called ‘host’.
- Open this file with notepad or text editor.
- Scroll down to the very bottom of this file. Enter the host’s IP address in a new line. Press TAB button on your keyboard only once. Next, enter the name of host.
- Press the Ctrl button and the letter ‘S’ to save the modifications.
Solution 5 – Change Company File Location
By now, you must’ve gotten rid of the QuickBooks error H202 by now. The above solutions were meant to fix the connectivity issues.
Your system files may be damaged if you’re still facing the error. Try the following solution to get rid of it.
- Create a new folder and name it according to your needs. Put the folder in your preferred drive.
- Navigate to the location of the company file. Select all the files excluding the .tlg and .nd files.
- Move these files to the new folder you’ve created beforehand.
- Open the QuickBooks software. Change the directory in the settings menu and update the company files location.
- The software will automatically create new .tlg and .nd system files.
Solution 6 – Configure QuickBooks Services
Make sure that the important services of QuickBooks are running in the background. You might face the QuickBooks error H202 if they aren’t running.
Follow these instructions to check if they’re running properly.
- Press the Windows logo button and the letter ‘R’ on your keyboard. Type ‘services.msc’. Press Enter.
- Find QuickBooksDBxx from the list of services. The ‘xx’ will represent the version of the software.
- Right-click on it and select Stop. Next, right-click on it again and select Properties.
- Click on the option beside the Startup Type. Choose Automatic.
- Next, click on Ok. Right-click again and choose Start from the list of options.
- Open the software and try to open the company file in multi-user mode.
Solution 7 – Repair and Update QuickBooks
You need to repair or update your QuickBooks software if you’re still getting the QuickBooks error H202.
Follow these instructions to repair QuickBooks.
- Press the Windows logo button and type ‘programs’. Click on Programs and Feature.
- Find the QuickBooks software from the list. Click on Change/Repair option.
- Follow the instructions as displayed. Close the screen when the repair has been successfully executed.
- Open the QuickBooks software and update it from within. Else, you can download and install the latest version from their website.
- Try to open your database once again.