Most of the time while downloading any games on steam, you might encounter the Steam Download slow issue. There are various reasons that might be responsible for this annoying error. The huge titles in the library of the application are the primary reason for this error to occur.
Apart from that, the presence of caches in the download folder, third-party antivirus software, a slow internet connection might lead to this issue.
If you ever run into this problem, don’t worry. It is quite easy to resolve the error with a few manual tweaks.
Steam Slow Download: [7 Easy Hacks]
One of the common questions that the users often ask is ‘why is my download speed so slow on Steam’. Therefore, follow the solutions that are described below in order to resolve the problem instantly.
Fix 1: Clear the Download Caches
The problem might appear due to the presence of caches in the Downloaded folder. When you download any game or application, then some caches are also stored in the Download folder.
Therefore, delete the caches from the Download folder. To perform the method, follow the steps mentioned below.
1. First of all, launch the Steam application on your device and then click on the Steam tab. After that, move to the Settings section.
2. Therefore, click on the Downloads section. Then, select the Clear Download Cache option from the drop-down menu.
3. To confirm the action, click on the OK button. Now, login in to the Steam client section and check if the issue still persists or not.
Fix 2: Change the Download Server location
In case the downloading server is not working properly, then you might encounter a Steam download speed slow issue.
To resolve the problem, set another location for the server and check whether the problem gets resolved or not.
1. At first, open the Steam client and then click on the Steam. After that, move to the Settings section.
2. Thereafter, click on the Download option and then select the Download Region from the drop-down menu. Now, choose a Download Server location.
3. Now, select the OK button. Lastly, start to download the game and check whether it is working properly or not.
In case you are still encountering “why does Steam download so slow”, then try out the next solutions.
Fix 3: Temporary Turn Off the Third-Party Antivirus Software
According to the users, third-party antivirus software might interfere while downloading Steam games. Hence, turn off the antivirus software temporarily and check if the problem still persists or not.
To turn off the antivirus, follow the steps described in the section below.
1. At first, launch the antivirus software and then move to the Settings section.
2. Now, click on the Disable the Antivirus option. Now, disable it by pressing the toggle switch.
After turning off the antivirus software, try to download the games and check if the problem is fixed or not.
Fix 4: End the Resource-Hogging Programs
It is a resource-consuming task when you are downloading any games on Steam for the hard drive of your device.
The downloading speed may reduce when there are other programs that utilize the hard drive. Therefore, check the hard disk and try to end those programs.
To check the hard drive, follow the steps mentioned in the section below.
1. At first, right-click anywhere on the desktop home screen. Now, choose the Task Manager from the drop-down menu.
2. Then, view the hard drive utilization under the Task Manager section. After that, end the programs which are causing high usage by right-clicking on them. Moreover, a drop-down menu will appear on the system screen. Next, select the End Task or End Process option.
When you are done with ending the resource-hogging programs, try to restart the download and check the status of the error.
Fix 5: Check the Status of the Network Connection
Sometimes, the problem arises in a case where the network connection is not working properly. Hence, check the network connection in order to resolve the problem.
1. First of all, you should check whether your device is connected to the internet properly. Then, check the network cable connection of the wireless network status.
2. Reboot the system and also the router or modem. Now, check the problem still persists or not.
Fix 6: Update the Network Driver
A certain number of people have reported that they have encountered the problem when they use an outdated network driver on their device.
In such a situation, you should update the network driver from the Device Manager section. To install the updated version of the Network driver, perform the following.
1. At first, press the Start button and then move to the Device Manager section. Here you will find all the drivers.
2. Locate the Network driver. Now, right-click on it and select Update the Driver option from the drop-down menu.
3. It will automatically find out the updated version of the driver and start to download the latest version of the Network driver.
When the downloading process gets completed, install it on your device. Once you are done, restart the system and check whether any difference in the speed of the downloading games on Steam.
Fix 7: Reinstall the Steam Application
The problem may trigger due to the corrupted Steam files. Hence, the guaranteed solution is to uninstall the Steam and then reinstall it with the fresh version.
To reinstall the Steam, go through the steps mentioned in the section below.
1. At first, press the Start button and then move to the Control Panel section. Now, locate the Steam and click on the Backup and restore Games from the drop-down menu.
2. Now, click on the Next option and then choose the games and programs that you want to back up. After selecting the games and programs, click on the Next button.
3. After that, select a location that you want to save the backups. Therefore, click on the Next button.
4. Now, configure the backup file name and size settings. Therefore, click on the Next button. Wait until the backup process gets completed.
5. After completing the process, now, type Windows key and R key together to invoke the Run window.
6. Thereafter, type appwiz.cpl in the Run box and hit the Enter button. Therefore, again right-click on the Steam and choose the Uninstall from the drop-down menu.
7. A confirmation box will appear on the system screen, then click on the OK button. Next, follow the on-screen instruction to complete the uninstallation process.
8. Restart the system and launch any web browser. Now, download the latest version of the Steam. When done, install it on your device. Thereafter, open it and move to the Backup and Restore games section.
9. After that, choose the restore a previous backup option and then click on the Next button. Next, browse and click on the folder where you stored the Steam files and again click on the Next button.
10. Now, restore the game that you want to and tap on the Next button. Wait until the process gets completed.
Undoubtedly, after applying these methods and steps, you can easily resolve the problem Steam download slow.