There are lots of users who are encountering this Steam error code 80 when they try to launch Steam. If you are one of the victims of the same error, then not to worry. We have gathered some amazing fixes to eradicate this error.
There are numerous causes for this Steam issue. It’s better to leap to the solution section without wasting time on the reasons. Well, if you have faced the error for the first time, then consider rebooting the PC. If the error has not been fixed, then let’s get started with other fixes.
Salient Fixes to Overcome Steam Error Code 80:
We have listed all the tried and tested fixes to resolve the issue at the earliest. The fixes are arranged according to their ease of application. Follow the fixes stated hereunder in the same way as mentioned here to avoid further complications.
Fix 1: Verify the Integrity of Steam Cache
If you want to fix Steam error code 80, then at first, check the cache files of the Steam. The corrupted Steam caches can cause this error. You have to verify and replace the files to solve the error. Follow the guidelines as mentioned below to apply the fix.
- Explore the Steam by right-clicking on its icon. Next, choose the ‘Run as administrator’ option. This will open the Steam with Admin Privilege.
- Go to the Library tab when you have entered the Steam client.
- Next, select the game that is showing the error 80. Right-click on that problematic game and choose the Properties option.
- Next, navigate to the tab of Local Files. There you can locate the option named ‘Verify integrity of game files’. Choose the option and Steam will check all your game files. This will take some time so don’t terminate the process.
- Now, you have to open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows and R keys at the same time. Type ‘taskmgr’ there and select the Task manager option among the results.
- Stay in the Processes tab. You have to end all the tasks related to the Steam Client BootStrapper.
After you have followed the steps, you have to launch the problematic game on Steam. Maybe, the error has now been fixed.
Fix 2: Go Through the Permissions Related to Folder Security
The Steam error code 80 can occur due to insufficient write privileges of Steam. Make sure that the Steam folders contain both the read and write permissions, then go through the following steps.
- At first, you have to end all the processes associated with Steam.
buy symbicort online buy symbicort online no prescription
Use the Task Manager to complete the process.
- Navigate to the following path: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam. You can use the Run dialog box to reach the file location.
- Right-click the Steam folder under the Program Files(x86) folder. Choose the Properties option from the context menu.
- Go to the General tab. You have to uncheck the Read-Only box if it has a checkmark.
- Now, you have to open Steam with admin privilege.
Hopefully, the error 80 has resolved now.
Fix 3: Change Some General Settings
Improper date and time or region can cause this issue. This minor setting can show you the error code 80 again and again. Configure such general settings with the help of the guidelines given below.
- Open the Start menu and type ‘control panel’ on the search bar. Choose the Control Panel option among the results.
- Then, opt for the Date and Time section. Go to the tab named Internet Time. Select the Change Settings button.
- Make sure that you check the ‘Synchronize with Internet time server’ option. Next, choose the Update Now option.
Finally, proceed with the Ok option when the changes have been saved. Now, try exploring the game on Steam.
Fix 4: Apply Data Execution Process
Data Execution Prevention can cause a conflict with the Steam interface. This security feature can block certain games on your Steam. Perform the following steps to get rid of the Steam error code 80.
- Press the Windows and the R keys to launch a Run dialog box. Fill it with ‘control’ and click on Ok. This will show up the Control Panel.
- Locate the System section. Click on it. Next, you have to select the Advanced System Settings option from the left pane of the newly launched window.
- Go to the Advanced tab and choose the Settings button under the Performance section.
- Next, you have to proceed to the Data Execution Prevention tab. Check the second option. Click the Add button.
- Now, you have to browse to the location of the Steam folder. Select the Steam folder and finally, hit the Ok button.
Relaunch the game on Steam and check if the error still persists.
Fix 5: Deactivate Windows Defender
Some users have said that Windows Defender Firewall is causing the Steam games to malfunction. Then, you can simply deactivate the Windows Defender to get every game uninterrupted on Steam.
- Press the Windows and R key to open a Run box. There you have to type ‘msc’. Press Enter.
- A window named Local Group Policy Editor should arrive. Select the Computer Configuration tab. Then, proceed to the Administrative Templates option.
- Locate and choose the Windows Component option. Next, you have to opt for the Windows Defender.
- After that, you have to locate the ‘Turn off Windows Defender’ option. Check the box next to the Enabled option. Lastly, opt for the Ok option to confirm the changes.
Reboot your PC now and launch Steam. Check if the error has disappeared.
Fix 6: Update the Device Drivers
Faulty or outdated drivers can make this error code 80 occur on Steam. Check out the guidelines as cited below if you own the Microsoft DirectX feature.
- Open a Run dialog box with Administrator Privilege.
- Fill the open space of the dialog box with ‘dxdiag’. Hit Enter and the DirectX Diagnostic Tool will come up.
- Look out for the latest updates on your official hardware. Make sure that you have access to the uninterrupted internet service.
Check if the error has vanished from Steam.
Fix 7: Erase Corrupt Files
Removal of corrupted Steam caches might not be useful, always. Check out if there are corrupt files on Steam. You have to delete them and let the Steam redownload those files. Let’s move on to the steps stated hereunder.
- Firstly, you have to end all the tasks associated with Steam, by using the Task Manager.
- Next, fetch the location of the Steam folder on your system. Use the following path: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam.
- Locate the SteamApps folder and opt for the Delete option.
- Finally, launch Steam. It will automatically reinstall those missing SteamApps files.
Check out if the error code 80 is still present on Steam.
Fix 8: Reinstall Certain Files
If all the above fixes fail to work, then you have left with only this option. You have to delete some folders and files so that Steam can reinstall automatically. Stick to the guidelines cited below.
- Fetch the Steam folder on your system. The default location is C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam.
- You have to delete only the mentioned folders and files: SteamApps, Steam.exe, Userdata, Ssfn.
- Reboot the PC when you have completed the task.
Launch Steam and let it install the missing components. Steam should show no error after the installation.
Hopefully, the guide was helpful enough to eradicate the Steam error code 80 issue. If you can observe the error anymore, you can disable the third-party antivirus programs that are installed on your PC. This attempt has also relieved many users from this Steam error.