System interrupts is an official component of the Windows Operating System and you can find it in the Task Manager as a process. It maintains the communication between the system and the computer hardware. Moreover, it is utilized to show the CPU usage of all the system hardware interrupts.
However, sometimes, System interrupts can take up high CPU and as a result, the system performance slows down. This problem generally means there is a problem with the hardware driver of the device.
Various factors can result in System interrupts. One of the most common causes is an outdated version of the system drives. Apart from that, the fast startup feature, an older version of the Operating System, outdated BIOS, audio enhancements can also lead to this error.
How to Fix System Interrupts High CPU on Windows 10
This is a common problem and can be fixed easily. Here we will be discussing all the effective methods to get rid of the System interrupts issue on Windows 10.
Method 1 – Reboot the System
Before going to other solutions, first, you need to reboot the system. Sometimes, rebooting the Windows 10 device can fix several problems that you encounter. After rebooting the system, check if the issue still occurs or not.
Method 2 – Install the Latest Version of the Drivers
In order to solve the System Interrupts causing High CPU usage on the device, you need to keep the drivers up to date. Follow the directions given below:
- Press the Windows Home button and then choose Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager window, locate the driver with a yellow mark and then right-click on it.
- Thereafter, select the Update Software Driver option from the list.
- After finishing the update process, restart your Windows 10 device and then check if the problem is fixed or not.
Method 3 – Update the Operating System
If you are using an older version of the Operating System, then you can face this problem on the system. Therefore, you must update the system by following these steps:
- Press the Win + I buttons at the same time to launch the Settings window.
- When you are in the Settings window, double-click on the Update & Security section and then go to the Update tab on the left panel.
- On the right, click on the Check for updates option to check if an update is available or not.
- If yes, then click on the Update button to begin the update process.
- Once the process is done, the Windows 10 system will automatically restart.
Method 4 – Disable USB Root Hubs
Sometimes, the USB root hubs can also be responsible for the System interrupts high CPU usage issues on a Windows 10 device. Therefore, you need to turn them off. To do that, follow the directions hereunder:
- Open the Device Manager window.
- Once the Device Manager window opens, look for the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section, select it to expand the section.
- Right-click on each USB root hub except the keyboard and mouse and then select the Disable device button from the list to disable them.
Method 5 – Disable All Sound Effects
Another effective method using which you can get rid of this problem on your Windows 10 device is by disabling all sound effects. The following steps will help you:
- Locate the Sound icon at the bottom right corner of the taskbar and right-click on it.
- Select the Playback devices button from the menu list.
- In the Sound window, find the playback device, double-click on it.
- Then go to the Enhancements tab and then mark on the box next to the Disable all sound effects option.
- After doing this, click on the Apply option and then on the OK button to save the changes.
Method 6 – Run the Check Disk
If there is a problem with the disk, you can come across the System Interrupts High CPU problem on the system. So, you need to run the check disk to solve this issue. Go through these steps:
- Right-click on the Start icon and then choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type “chkdsk C: /f” in the Command Prompt window and then press the Enter button.
- Once the scanning process is done, reboot the PC and then check if the system works properly without any problem.
Method 7 – Disable the Network Adapters
If the network adapters are enabled then you might face this problem on the system. So, you should disable it as soon as possible. Here’s how to do that:
- Press Win + R keys together to launch the Run box.
- Type devmgmt.msc and then click on the OK option or press the Enter button.
- From the Device Manager window, locate and select the Network Adapters section to expand.
- After that, right-click on the Network adapters and then select Properties from the list.
- In the Properties window, move to the Advanced tab.
- From that tab, scroll down the Property section and find the Wake on Magic Packet and Wake on pattern match, select them.
- Thereafter, set the Value to Disabled from the drop-down menu and then click on the OK option to save the changes.
Method 8 – Disable Fast Startup
Windows 10 systems have a fast startup feature. If it is turned on then you can encounter the System Interrupts High CPU problem on Windows 10. Therefore, you should disable it. Here are some steps that you can follow:
- Press the Windows button and choose Control Panel.
- When the Control Panel window opens, navigate to Power Options.
- In that section, click on the “Choose what the power buttons do” on the left panel.
- After that, click on the “Change settings that are currently unavailable” button.
- Untick the Turn on fast startup (recommended) box under the Shutdown settings section.
- Once you are done with these steps, click on the Save changes option.
Method 9 – Run the Hardware Troubleshooter
Running the hardware troubleshooter can resolve this issue on the Windows 10. Below are certain steps that you can follow:
- Hit the Start button and then click on the Settings icon.
- Go to the Update & Security section and then select the Troubleshoot tab.
- Scroll down the page and find the Hardware troubleshooter section, select it and then click on the Run the troubleshooter option.
- Once the troubleshooting is done, reboot your device and then check if the issue is eliminated or not.
Method 10 – Update the BIOS
An older version of the BIOS can also cause the System Interrupts issue on the Windows 10 device. So, you need to update it at the earliest. If you do not know how to do that then follow the steps below.
- Go to the official website of your BIOS manufacturer and look for the latest version of the BIOS.
- After finding it, click on the Download button to start the download process.
- Once the file is downloaded, install it correctly. When you install it, you need to follow the instructions which appear on the screen to complete the process.
- After installing it, restart the device and then check if the issue gets solved or not.