Twitch is a very popular live video streaming platform. However, many users come across a very common problem in the form of a Twitch black screen.
Due to this problem, the users can’t see the streaming video inside the window. But, they can see the user’s profiles and chats clearly.
The black screen appears when DNS settings don’t work or the application fails to fix the query of DNS. Sometimes, a poor configuration in IP address, corrupted browser data, and bad cache affects the Twitch and result in black screen.
Before applying any solutions, you need to check the Internet connection. Also, you can’t use a VPN and firewalls while troubleshooting the Twitch error.
Solutions for Twitch Black Screen in Chrome
Here we have listed some solutions that will help to resolve the Twitch black screen error.
Solution 1: Change the DNS Settings
As you may already know that DNS sets the name for any website. So, if Twitch fails to complete the loading requests, it starts to show a black screen. Here are the steps to fix it.
- Hit the Windows logo along with R and go to the Run dialog box. Then, write “control panel” inside the dialog box and press Enter.
- Navigate to the “Network and Internet” option and click on “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Here you can see the network that you are using. Move to the option of “Connections” and click on it.
- Now scroll to the “Properties” popup tab and click it. Double-click on “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” to change the DNS server.
- Click on the option of “Use the following DNS server address”. After that, set the value that is mentioned here:
Preferred DNS server: 184.108.40.206 and Alternate DNS server: 220.127.116.11
Now click on OK and exit the window. Then turn on the device and check if the black screen problem is resolved.
Solution 2: Disable Hardware Acceleration
Hardware acceleration is an important module in your device. It uses the hardware of the device instead of the software rendering, which improves the load on the OS.
According to many users, this does not work on all modules including Twitch. So, try to disable the hardware acceleration to get rid of this black screen issue.
- Launch Google Chrome and tap on Menu.
- Select ‘Settings’ and then tap on ‘Advanced’.
- Find the name ‘System’ and turn off the option “Use hardware acceleration when available”.
- Reopen the browser after saving all changes.
Now, you have to test if Twitch streams not loading and showing a black screen. If this is the case then try the next solutions.
Solution 3: Reset Network Configuration Settings
As we mentioned above, a poor configuration also affects the Twitch streams and you may come across the error. However, it can be resolved by resetting the DNS configurations.
Write “command prompt” in the dialog box to view the application.
Before you select the option of “Run as administrator”, right-click on the application.
Now type the following commands:
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /renew
Next, you have to shut down and turn on your computer after finishing these steps. Then check if the issue is solved. If it does not work, you can proceed below for further fixes.
Solution 4: Remove Cache and Cookies
You can remove all the caches and cookies from Chrome as it can fix the black screen error.
- Launch Google Chrome first, then tap on Menu.
- Go to “More tools”. After that, scroll to the option of “Clear browsing data” and click on it.
- Click on the “All time” option from the menu.
- Furthermore, you need to click on “Cookies and other site data” and “Cached images and files”.
- After selecting them, hit on “Clear data”.
It will take some time to delete the cookies, caches, and browsing data. When all data is cleared completely, simply restart the device and check if Twitch is working normally.
Solution 5: Open Google Chrome in Incognito Mode
If the above solutions didn’t fix the Twitch black screen in Chrome, this may solve it easily.
- Open Google Chrome and tap on Menu.
- Go to “New incognito window” or press Windows +Shift+N to open the private page.
Inside the window, try to launch Twitch.tv and check if it works. There are more other solutions you can try if this solution didn’t solve the black screen problem.
Solution 6: Change the IP Address
Often, changing the IP address can troubleshoot such issues in Twitch. So, go through the steps below to successfully change your IP address.
- First, open the Run command window. To do this you need to follow the steps in solution 1.
- Now write “cmd” inside the box and click on OK. It will open a Command Prompt window.
- Thereafter, type “ipconfig /release” and tap Enter key. As this command is executed and the window returns a prompt, type “ipconfig /renew”.
Now restart the device to check if the issue persists. This is the shortest and simplest process to solve the problem.
Solution 7: Turn Off All Extensions
Sometimes, too many Chrome extensions clash with the websites and result in a black screen. Here’s the process to successfully turn off all the Chrome extensions.
- At first, launch Google Chrome and go to the Menu.
- Scroll to ‘More tools’ and click on the option of ‘Extensions’. Here, you can disable all the extensions present in Chrome.
Now relaunch Google Chrome on your device. Possibly it will make the twitch work normally.
- Write “chrome://settings/content” in URL box and press Enter.
- Now tap on the Flash option and it will open Flashplayer settings.
- Change the option to “Ask first”. Tap on Add and write “https://twitch.tv” in the allow list.
Finally, restart the browser and check if Twitch still has the same problem.
Solution 9: Reinstall Google Chrome
A simple reinstallation of Google Chrome, it can also prevent Twitch from showing a black screen. Do as directed to reinstall Chrome.
- Open Settings by pressing Windows and ‘I’ keys together.
- Select ‘Programs’ and move to ‘Google Chrome’.
- Next tap on the ‘Uninstall’ button. It will take a few seconds to remove the browser app.
After the uninstallation is completed, install Chrome again. You have to use another browser to download it.
- First, type ‘google.com/chrome’ and press Enter.
- Click on ‘Download’ and choose the option of ‘For personal computer’. It will open a page where you can download Chrome.
- Tap on ‘Download Chrome’ and select ‘Accept and Install’.
Now, run Twitch to check for the black screen issue.
Solution 10: Change Chrome Settings
Changing Chrome settings is also a reliable way to solve the black screen error. Follow the steps to do this.
- Launch Google Chrome, then click on Menu.
- Go to the Settings and click on the ‘Advanced’.
- Search the option ‘Restore settings to their original defaults’.
- To confirm it click on ‘Reset settings’.
At last relaunch Chrome on your computer and try to launch Twitch. If this does not work, try the last resort.
Solution 11: Update Chrome
Sometimes, an outdated version of Chrome can be the cause of the black screen error. So, always try to use an updated version of Chrome. To update it, go through the following steps.
- Open the Chrome browser and go to the Menu.
- Move to ‘Help’ and choose ‘About Google Chrome’ option.
- Now tap on the ‘Update’ button.
The update will take only a few seconds. Once the updates are completed, close the Twitch application and open it once again.