Windows 10 is undoubtedly an upgraded version in Windows and if we talk about its performance, then it is also exceptional. But sometimes you can see the black screen and the only thing that you will see is the cursor point on the screen.
If you are getting this error, then this indicates that there is some issue in the graphics card. If the graphic card is not compatible with the video adapter, then this error occurs. Moreover, you can get this error at the time of upgrading a new feature update in Windows 10.
Whatever the reason for this “Windows 10 black screen with cursor” error, if you are experiencing this error you should immediately get rid of it. And here we will guide you on how to do that easily.
Key Methods on “Black Screen with Cursor Windows 10” Error:
This section consists of the key procedures to remove the black screen error. Implement the methods accordingly as per your convenience.
Method 1: Update the Graphic Driver
If the graphic card is outdated, corrupted or damaged, then this error might be encountered. In that case, we would suggest you update the graphic card. To update the graphics card, you need to perform the below-mentioned steps:
- Hold the Windows and X key together, this will open the Device Manager window.
- In that window, search for the “Display Adapters” option. Now, right-click on it.
- Choose the “Update Driver Software” option from the drop-down menu.
Now, it might take a while to completely update the Graphics card. After scanning for the available update, the latest version of the graphics card will automatically download and get installed on the device
Once the Graphics card is installed, a window will appear stating that you behave successfully installed the driver software. Now, restart the device and after restarting the device, the graphics card will be updated. Now, check if you have solved the error. If not, then go to the next section
Method 2: Disable the Fast Startup
If there is an issue on the System, then disabling the startup mode will help you to fix that. If the startup option is enabled, then you can get the black screen error.
So, it is suggested to disable the fast startup option to get over the error. To disable the Fast Startup Option, perform the below-mentioned steps:
- Go to the Start Menu. From there, tap on the “Control Panel” option.
- Open the Control Panel Windows, now, go to the “View” section. Then choose the “Small icons” option.
- Now, tap on the Power options. Next, select the “Choose what the power button does” option.
- Now, tap on the “Change settings that are currently unavailable” option.
- Go to the “Shutdown Settings“ section and then uncheck the “Turn on fast startup (recommended)” option.
- Tap on the “Save Changes” option to save the current changes,
Now, after disabling the Fast Startup options, check if you have solved the error. If not, then go to the next section.
Method 3: Disable the Integrated Graphics Card
If there is a separate graphics card installed in the device, then the device can take it as a dual monitor, which can result in the black screen error. In that case, you need to disable the graphics card to fix the error.
- Hold the Windows and R key together. This will open the Run dialog box.
- In the Run dialog box, write “devmgmt.msc”. Hit the Enter button next.
- This will open the Device Manager tab. In that tab, search for the “Display Adapters” option.
Note: You will see more than one graphics card over there.
- Right-click on the integrated graphics card and then choose the ‘Disable“ option from the drop-down menu.
Right after disabling the graphics card, you need to re-enable it again so that you can fix the black screen error.
To do that, you need to go to the Device Manager again and then go to the “Display Adapters” section. From there, choose the graphic card and then right-click on it. Choose the Enable option from the drop-down menu.
Now, restart the device and check if you have solved the error. If not then we would suggest you move on to the next section.
Method 4: Uninstall and Reinstall the Graphics Driver
If you are still facing the Windows 10 black screen with cursor issue, then we would suggest you uninstall the Graphics Driver. If you have the default version of the Graphics card, then there is a high chance of getting this error. So, in that case, you need to go through the following steps to uninstall the graphics card.
How to Uninstall the Graphics Card?
Uninstalling the graphics card is quite easy and less time-consuming. You just need to do the below-mentioned steps:
- Go to the Start Button. In the Search box, write “Device Manager”.
- Hit the “Enter” button next. Choose “Device Manager” form ten searched results.
- In the Device Manager window, go to the “Display Adapters” section.
- Right-click on the graphics card. Choose the “Uninstall the devices’ option from the drop-down menu.
- Tap on the “OK” button.
Now restart the device and check if you have successfully uninstalled the graphics card. Next, you need to install the graphics card again on the device. Or else you won’t be able to fix the error.
How to Reinstall the Graphics Card?
Once you are done with uninstalling the graphics card, you need to know immediately how to install the graphics card once again. To do that, go through the below-mentioned steps:
- Open a Web Browser. In the address bar, write the name of the graphics card driver.
- From the searched result, choose the latest version for the graphic card.
- Download it by tapping the “Download Now” button. Now, after downloading, install it in the device.
Now, after reinstalling the graphics card, check if you are still getting the black screen. If not, then you might need to roll back the graphics driver. To do that, go to the next section.
Method 5: Roll Back Graphics Card
After installing the graphics card, you need to roll back to the previous version of the driver. To do that, you need to implement the below-mentioned steps:
- Go to the Start Button. In the search box, write “Device Manager”.
- From the searched result, tap on the Device Manager. This will open the Device Manager tab.
- In that window, search for the “Display Adapters” option. Now, right-click on Graphics card.
- Choose the ”Properties” option from the drop-down menu. Now, go to the Driver section. Then tap on the “Roll Back Driver” BUtton.
- Now, choose a reason for rolling back the Driver. Choose any one option from the list of options.
- Tap on the “Yes” button.
Now restart the device and check if you have resolved the Windows 10 black screen with cursor error. We have just mentioned some of the most effective ways to get rid of the error. Even if applying the above methods did not help you to fix the error, then you can also disable the high contrast feature in Windows 10.