Network identifies each and every device through its IP address. All devices have different IP addresses. You will face the ‘windows has detected an IP address conflict’ error message if your device’s IP address matches with another device’s IP address. As a result, you will be restricted from accessing the internet.
Easy Ways to Fix Windows has detected an IP Address Conflict
An IP address conflict can easily be resolved by trying one of the solutions given below. Hence, follow the instructions carefully.
Method 1 : Restart the Router
Before moving to other solutions, you should definitely try this basic method to fix the IP address conflict. Your router is responsible for assigning IP addresses to your devices. However, it can sometimes fail to provide a unique IP address to your device. Therefore, perform these steps below to restart your router.
- First, find your router’s power button and turn off the router. You will get disconnected from the internet and the network will be shut down.
- Thereafter, wait for some time. Normally a router can take 3 to 4 minutes to shut down completely.
- After the time period, turn the router back on.
After turning on your router, check if this method has fixed the IP address conflict issue. However, you have to connect your device to the network once again.
Method 2 : Disable and Re-enable Network Adapter
Your device’s network adapter is responsible for providing network to your system. Thus, you can fix any connection related issue by simply disabling and re-enabling it. You have to keep in mind that this method needs administrative permissions. Hence, go through the steps given below.
- Press the Windows key and the letter ‘R’ on your keyboard to open the Run dialogue box.
- Hence, type ‘ncpa.cpl’ and press the Enter key. This will take you to the Network Connection window.
- After that, right click on your adapter and choose the Disable option.
- Next, wait for a few seconds and Enable it again by right-clicking on your adapter.
Finally, restart your computer and check if this method has resolved the IP conflict issue.
Method 3 : Renew IP Address
For any kind of network issue, this method is one of the most effective solutions. Here, you have to release the IP address of your device and simultaneously, assign a new one. Thus, follow the given steps below to do so.
- First, open the search bar by pressing Windows + S buttons from your keyboard. Here, type ‘cmd’ and right click on Command Prompt.
- Then, select ‘Run as administrator’ from the list of options.
- After that, type these commands in the window and execute it by pressing the Enter button.
- netsh int ip reset
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
Once completed, check if the error ‘Windows Has Detected An IP Address Conflict’ is still occuring or not.
Method 4 : Remove Static IP
Oftentimes, having a static IP can cause this problem as well. It can occur If you or someone has manually configured the IP address. Generally, a router automatically assigns an IP to the device. Hence, you should remove static IP addresses by following the steps below.
- Press the Windows key and the R key together on your keyboard to open the Run dialogue box.
- Here, type ‘ncpa.cpl’ and press the Enter button. After that, the Network Connection window will appear.
- Next, go to the Properties option after right-clicking on your adapter.
- Then, you have to double click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP / IPv4)
- Here, choose both Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.
- Finally, save your changes by pressing the OK button and restarting your device. After that, check if you’re still getting the IP conflict error or not.
Method 5 : Update Network Driver
Accordingly, you need to update the network card driver to resolve such problems. To perform this method, go through the following steps.
- Press the Windows key and the R key on the keyboard to open the Run utility.
- After that, type ‘devmgmt.msc’ and click the OK button. This will launch the Device Manager window.
- Find and expand the Network adapter section. Then, right click on it and choose the Update driver option.
- Then, you have to click on the ‘Search automatically for updated driver’ option to start the update process.
- Now, Windows will automatically download and install the update for the network driver.
After finishing the process, restart your device. Thereafter, check if this method has fixed the IP address conflict.
Method 6 : Disable IPv6
IPv6 technology can be a reason behind the windows has detected an ip address conflict error message. This is because it is a newer protocol that can have some glitches. Thus, you can try this method by following the steps below to do so.
- Press the Windows key and the R key together on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- After that, type ‘ncpa.cpl’ and press the OK button. The Network Connection window will appear.
- Choose the Properties option after right-clicking on your adapter.
- Now, you have to remove the tick from the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6). This will disable IPv6 on your device.
Once done, restart your device and check if this method has resolved the IP address conflict or not.
To summarize, the solutions provided above should help you to resolve the IP address conflict on your device. Generally, restarting your router or renewing the IP address can easily resolve the problem. Always remember to update your system drivers to prevent such problems.